Stratiform for Firefox

Loving this addon :D, great work!

One request though; currently it doesn't seem possible to recolour/add transparency to the the bookmarks bar, and therefore it's stuck in the default blue/grey colour, unless I'm being stupid that is :cry: ?

There currently isn't an option for that, yet. We plan to add an option to color the active tab and nav-bar. We will probably link all three together, along with any additional toolbars.

Anyone got this tiny issue using the Stratiform style?

issue1.png

Notice that under the Gmail tab there is an extra pixel line compared to the other tabs? This line only appears if you leave the gmail tab open and a new mail comes in so the heading shows (1) or however many emails you have etc. If you then click on the tab and then click away to another tab the line goes away. Only comes back if another mail comes in thus updating the tab title .

Anyone got this tiny issue using the Stratiform style?

Notice that under the Gmail tab there is an extra pixel line compared to the other tabs? This line only appears if you leave the gmail tab open and a new mail comes in so the heading shows (1) or however many emails you have etc. If you then click on the tab and then click away to another tab the line goes away. Only comes back if another mail comes in thus updating the tab title .

Ah crap. Yea that's a bug. I'll have it fixed in the next release.

Soap, I just want to say great work. This addon has allowed us to customize Firefox like no other has allowed us before. Keep up the great work, and look forward to the next release. :)

I love the new update!

Just a small bug report, if you use IE9 style tabs, and the New Tab button is on your Main Toolbar, its icon disappears. Confirmed this on a Win7 x64, Vista x64, and XP x32, all on FF4.

Wow, looks so good man, can't wait for the final product! Might even use Firefox again because of this theme, lol. :whistle:

idea for next version, you should add an option for the app menu button to be transparent when the window is inactive, i liked when the button used to do that :)

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

idea for next version, you should add an option for the app menu button to be transparent when the window is inactive, i liked when the button used to do that :)

That's not a bad idea. We're currently not adding anymore options into 1.1, but we may add it in a future version.

Changes from 1.1beta:

Added Polish language thanks to Micha? Morawski (moras86)

Fixed back-button not clipping properly with PersonalToolbar shown

Fixed missing back icon if back-button was placed in TabsToolbar

Fixed padding on star-button if placed on the left of the urlbar

Fixed 'titlechanged' on inactive tabs

Fixed active tab coloring on some Windows themes

Fixed two go buttons showing for IE9 text-field style

Fixed Strata40 (squared) not having squared tabs-bottom

Fixed some issues with Wave tab style with combined buttons (eg zoom buttons)

Updated Wave pressed glyph image

Updated some translations

Download

• Like 2

Thanks for the update. Superb work as always. (Y)

FWIW: This add-on is one of the reasons why I switched back from Chrome to Firefox 4 on Windows 7.

This is an excellent addon, really polished indeed. I wish more were like this one...

There's a couple of things that bug me though, maybe this is just me nitpicking but I'm easily annoyed with the little details lol:

• There's a top margin of 1 or 2 pixels between the tabs and the screen border (when firefox window is maximized with taps on top) without the Stratiform. With it, that breathing space is gone, looks weird, bug or feature?
  • I hate the fact that you added a "Stratiform Options..." menu item to "Firefox Menu ? Options". It would be great if an option to show/hide that menu item could be added.
  • Now this one is really nitpicking... The Stratiform icon size doesn't seem to conform with every other addon icon. It's just way to big compared to every other addon (look in the Add-ons Manager)

That's it. Yeah, I know, the last one is really nitpicking, but if the other two could be "fixed" for the next version, it would be great. I have temporarily fixed them with Stylish tweaks but it feels hacky and official options would be better.

Just my 2 cents.

This is an excellent addon, really polished indeed. I wish more were like this one...

There's a couple of things that bug me though, maybe this is just me nitpicking but I'm easily annoyed with the little details lol:

• There's a top margin of 1 or 2 pixels between the tabs and the screen border (when firefox window is maximized with taps on top) without the Stratiform. With it, that breathing space is gone, looks weird, bug or feature?
  • I hate the fact that you added a "Stratiform Options..." menu item to "Firefox Menu ? Options". It would be great if an option to show/hide that menu item could be added.
  • Now this one is really nitpicking... The Stratiform icon size doesn't seem to conform with every other addon icon. It's just way to big compared to every other addon (look in the Add-ons Manager)

That's it. Yeah, I know, the last one is really nitpicking, but if the other two could be "fixed" for the next version, it would be great. I have temporarily fixed them with Stylish tweaks but it feels hacky and official options would be better.

Just my 2 cents.

1.) This may be an oversight on our part. We had to recreate the default tabs using CSS so that all our options could easily be applied to them.

2.) This seemed like the logical thing to do. One would expect some options to be placed there. I figured that would be another easy way to access our options tab.

3.) You have this backwards in fact. 48px is actually the standard for Firefox 4, however we're not seeing many developers supporting this.

1.) This may be an oversight on our part. We had to recreate the default tabs using CSS so that all our options could easily be applied to them.

2.) This seemed like the logical thing to do. One would expect some options to be placed there. I figured that would be another easy way to access our options tab.

3.) You have this backwards in fact. 48px is actually the standard for Firefox 4, however we're not seeing many developers supporting this.

1) Makes sense, maybe add the default breathing space or an option? It's up to you, but at least let it breathe lol.

2) That depends on the point of view. The same happened on previous Firefox versions with the Tools menu and look how that got really cluttered and unorganized. I like to keep my menus nice and tidy that's why I'm suggesting an option to add that menu option or not. I'm not suggesting to remove it entirely. But if we were to really discuss this I would say that I don't agree with every extension adding a menu item to access their options on that menu, all of them are easily accessible in the Addons Manager and I think it's enough. But of course, this is just my opinion.

It would be all fine if the Personal Menu extension would allow me to configure all the sub-menus, I wouldn't care less about which options extension developers add to the menus, as long as there's an easy way to enable/disable them instead of hacking through Stylish. For instance, taking the Tools menu as an example, I have that menu really tidy thanks to the Menu Editor extension. But neither of these 2 extensions allows to edit the menu items of split button sub-menus, which is a shame really cause they are great addons, maybe in the future.

3) I didn't know that. But it makes sense since Firefox 4 revamped the whole Addons Manager window. My experience tells me that when something like this changes on a product well established for a few years now, it will take ages for developers to adapt. On that note, the puzzle piece of a default extension without icon is not 48px either. But I understand your reasoning and I applaud you for keeping with the guidelines. If only more developers were like you...

Customizable colours for Tab > Tab Bar section would be cool. While I like the light grey colour of Strata40, it starts to go darker the further down it goes. For example; Bookmark bar under the address bar is difficult to read when used with a dark coloured desktop wallpaper.

Edit: added ss, light wallpaper background does make it look a lot better, but I dislike light wallpaper:

stratiform.png

Although this is not directly related to Stratiform, I'm gonna ask here anyway. How come we haven't seen any userstyle that changes the app button to look like the ones in the 3.7/4.0 mockups/like in Strata40? I find this very strange. Is it because the default button looks good or its just not possible?

• Like 1

Although this is not directly related to Stratiform, I'm gonna ask here anyway. How come we haven't seen any userstyle that changes the app button to look like the ones in the 3.7/4.0 mockups/like in Strata40? I find this very strange. Is it because the default button looks good or its just not possible?

its possible it just takes lots of digging around in the neowin forums...use move app button extension plus usercripts and such.

Install following addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/movable-firefox-button/

And use the following stylish script:

For Strata40:

#appmenu-button {

-moz-transition-property: min-width, max-width, opacity, background-color !important;

-moz-transition-duration: .2s, .25s, .05s, .25s !important;

background-clip: padding-box !important;

border: 1px solid !important;

border-bottom: 0 !important;

margin-bottom: 0 !important;

-moz-border-top-colors: rgba(0,0,0,.25) !important;

-moz-border-left-colors: rgba(0,0,0,.37) !important;

-moz-border-right-colors: rgba(0,0,0,.37) !important;

border-radius: 4.5px 4.5px 0 0 !important;

margin-top: 2px !important;

-moz-margin-end: 1px !important;

-moz-transform: translateY(-2px) !important;

box-shadow: 2px 0 2px -2px rgba(0,0,0,.25),

-2px 0 2px -2px rgba(0,0,0,.25),

0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset,

1px 0 0 rgba(255,255,255,.3) inset,

-1px 0 0 rgba(255,255,255,.3) inset !important;

}

For Strata40 (Square):

#appmenu-button {

-moz-transition-property: min-width, max-width, opacity, background-color !important;

-moz-transition-duration: .2s, .25s, .05s, .25s !important;

border: 1px solid !important;

margin-bottom: 0 !important;

-moz-border-top-colors: rgba(0,0,0,.25) !important;

-moz-border-left-colors: rgba(0,0,0,.37) !important;

-moz-border-right-colors: rgba(0,0,0,.37) !important;

border-radius: 4.5px 4.5px 0 0 !important;

margin-top: 2px !important;

-moz-margin-end: 1px !important;

-moz-transform: translateY(-2px) !important;

box-shadow: 2px 0 2px -2px rgba(0,0,0,.25),

-2px 0 2px -2px rgba(0,0,0,.25),

0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset,

1px 0 0 rgba(255,255,255,.3) inset,

-1px 0 0 rgba(255,255,255,.3) inset !important;

border-radius: 0 !important;

}

For IE9:

#appmenu-button {

margin-top: 1px !important;

box-shadow: 0 5px 5px 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.4) inset !important;

border: 1px solid rgba(96,96,96,.78) !important;

margin-bottom: 1px !important;

}

For Wave:

#appmenu-button {

margin-bottom: 1px !important;

margin-top: 1px !important;

border: 1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.3) !important;

border-top-left-radius: 3px !important;

text-shadow: 0 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3) !important;

box-shadow: 0 1px 0 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.2) inset,

1px 0 0 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.2) inset,

-1px 0 0 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.2) inset !important;

}

How it looks with Wave on my own firefox:

magic.png

• Like 2

cleaned code a bit up ;P

link to cleaned up and combined code: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/4281191/appmenu-tab.css

That looks pretty good but I was just wondering. I actually quite like the way the App button looks now.

I thought it was a pretty good idea ;P

And it's not so hard to implent it in stratiform as option I think.

can we now have app button tweaks (in size , position etc) in stratiform ?

I think they can make a option to move it to tabbar and resizing is not so hard to do too but then I would only suggest to do width resizing.

• 1 month later...

I think I have noticed a bug with the latest April 15th build of Stratiform. If I set my tab width and then later I go and drag a tab out of the window to make another window, the tab width resets itself to default and I then have to go and set it again in stratiform options.

I am unsure if it is just affecting just the recent nightlies, or all builds including stable.