http://download.utorrent.com/beta/utorrent-3.0-latest.x64.exe

Changelog:

-- 2011-02-18: Version 3.0 (build 24767)

- Feature: make the content offer in the installer dynamic (no more re-builds for updating content offer)

- Fix: startup crash when upgrading with older client settings (64-bit only)

- Change: show installer when ut is launched from a different drive than where it's installed to, to make portable mode installer more accessible

- Fix: highlighting when click and dragging in the listview

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=93984

Finally. Glad to see that they are working on a 64bit version, but going to wait until the get it to beta at least before trying.

A 64-bit edition has to make a minimal difference with this kind of application. It's neither CPU or memory intensive - actually to the contrary... The single reason to spend the effort on making this one 64-bit is if you are a 64-bit purist.

A 64-bit edition has to make a minimal difference with this kind of application. It's neither CPU or memory intensive - actually to the contrary... The single reason to spend the effort on making this one 64-bit is if you are a 64-bit purist.

64-bit is where OSes, etc. are headed, it's just a matter of time until there's no 32-bit left, of course it'll take a while for the latter to happen. Just wait till they start working on 128-bit stuff.

In certain conditions it can use a lot of memory. If you are seeding many files (say 2,500 or more) the hard disk can begin to become very saturated by random reads. Having a large cache can help to eliminate this problem. The 32-bit version of uTorrent has a maximum cache size of 1.8GB.

Most people who use uTorrent will never run in to such problems. But there are others out there that will and it's good that Bittorrent.Inc is doing what was voted for on their idea bank (Y)

In the grand scheme of things this is a simple feature to add whilst recoding uTorrent for OS X or Linux was more difficult.

Hm, Alpha indeed. This build continues to crash every few minutes after adding a download.

It only crashed when I go to 'applications' but everything works fine here; creating new torrents, starting new torrents, changing setting ,..

Hm, Alpha indeed. This build continues to crash every few minutes after adding a download.

Nice to see a 64-bit client though.

Glad I held out. Waiting for beta to make the jump as they are far more stable. I would say they are still a few months out before they can get it there.

I rather have all 64bit apps than mixed, even if I gain no benefits. What's the point of having 64bit, if you are just going to have 32bit? Yeah I know but I don't see it like that.

I rather have all 64bit apps than mixed, even if I gain no benefits. What's the point of having 64bit, if you are just going to have 32bit? Yeah I know but I don't see it like that.

The vast majority of the applications I use are 32 bit for the simple reason that there are still not a huge deal of native X64 apps about. Especially with games. It would be nice to see more companies providing X64 engines for their games.

The vast majority of the applications I use are 32 bit for the simple reason that there are still not a huge deal of native X64 apps about. Especially with games. It would be nice to see more companies providing X64 engines for their games.

Most of the places, I know refuse to do 64bit until there is only 64bit OS's well for Windows. Linux already allows all 64bit and the same with Mac OS X. Just Windows developers are just too lazy (my own opinion) or they are using horrible apis like win32, which you have to do a lot to get around 64bit.

64-bit is where OSes, etc. are headed, it's just a matter of time until there's no 32-bit left

You do understand that 64-bit processors and operating systems are fully capable of running 32-bit apps, right? Not everything benefits from 64-bit. There are quite a few types of apps that simply have no need to be 64-bit.

Most of the places, I know refuse to do 64bit until there is only 64bit OS's well for Windows. Linux already allows all 64bit and the same with Mac OS X.

As if. Apart from a few fanatics on the internet with very little technical understanding, no one cares.

Just Windows developers are just too lazy (my own opinion) or they are using horrible apis like win32, which you have to do a lot to get around 64bit.

Win32 is the primary API on 64-bit Windows (but with 64-bit pointers.) Clean code will recompile and run with no changes.

Just Windows developers are just too lazy (my own opinion) or they are using horrible apis like win32, which you have to do a lot to get around 64bit.

I'm not sure where you're getting your (mis)information. We write several Windows API applications, including using 3rd-party libraries, and I've never had to do anything other create a new platform configuration in Visual Studio to get things compiled to 64-bit.

I'm not sure where you're getting your (mis)information. We write several Windows API applications, including using 3rd-party libraries, and I've never had to do anything other create a new platform configuration in Visual Studio to get things compiled to 64-bit.

I haven't touched it in awhile since it's a crappy api to work with. There is if you really looked in it. Because I remember there being quite a few 64 specific functions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb427430(v=VS.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384198(v=VS.85).aspx

http://www.catch22.net/tuts/scroll64

It all depends on what your application/driver, etc requires.

I haven't touched it in awhile since it's a crappy api to work with. There is if you really looked in it. Because I remember there being quite a few 64 specific functions.

It seems silly of you to want to argue with people who actually do use the Windows APIs and do write software that is both 32-bit and 64-bit. We are right, you are wrong. It's also rude to post links that you haven't read yourself (I say you haven't because they don't support you.)

It seems silly of you to want to argue with people who actually do use the Windows APIs and do write software that is both 32-bit and 64-bit. We are right, you are wrong. It's also rude to post links that you haven't read yourself (I say you haven't because they don't support you.)

Just because you use a bad api, makes you mister know it all? Like I said, it really all depends on what you use, that determines how hard it will be to make a 64bit version. Drivers do require a lot of work to make a 64bit, desktops not really but depends on the information you are doing (mainly inline assembly, SSExx). Anyways, if you ae right you are right, no need to act like a self centred jackarse. Good for you that you use a crappy outdated api. I can do the same thing in my api that actually runs on many OS's and devices. :)

. . . If you are seeding many files (say 2,500 or more). . .

Huh?

Who ever seeds that many files? :s

Is this a significant update to warrant a new version (IE, why not 2.3?)?

I find uTorrent is slowly getting rather bloated and not keeping it simple these days :/ Yes, not as bloatware as others but still.