• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 7 SP1

kiddingguy    62

I was wondering if you guys who did install the official RTM version (of this week) are experiencing any improvements and/or performance gains and/or whatever in Windows 7 SP1?

jwil1    2

Feels a bit snappier on my Q6600 that RTM did, but other than that, nothing.

Astra.Xtreme    2,808

I was wondering if you guys who did install the official RTM version (of this week) are experiencing any improvements and/or performance gains and/or whatever in Windows 7 SP1?

It takes a little longer for both my desktop pc and laptop to boot, but besides that it seems unchanged. I don't think too much was changed besides security measures anyway.

It's rock solid as it was, so I didn't expect anything to change.

Denis W.    731

[Moved here]

KaneHusky    13

I haven't noticed any major performance gains or losses. I'm pleased that some (at least one that I know of) of the UI-based glitches is fixed. Overall, there's certainly no reason not to install it. :)

P.M.K    18

I've installed SP1 on my PC at home and I've noticed no difference at all.

I tried to install it on my PC at work but it hung half way through the install.

Subject Delta    108

No noticeable difference really. Windows 7 was so solid to begin with that it feels the same. But it shows Microsoft are working hard on Windows 7

KamiQuazi    0

I haven't really noticed anything different with it on Windows 7 Professional x64. Seems just as fast as before. While I was install it, I did notice that the installer would get 2/3 to 3/4 the way done and then go back to 1/2 on the progress bar. :huh:

Ruciz    2

So, you take time to download an update and apply, for it to affect nothing else? seems like a good use of HDD space. Thanks for working hard Windows. Im sure they must have improved upon something or another - yet this was in development when windows 7 was being built. I don't get it.

cork1958    1,703

So, you take time to download an update and apply, for it to affect nothing else? seems like a good use of HDD space. Thanks for working hard Windows. Im sure they must have improved upon something or another - yet this was in development when windows 7 was being built. I don't get it.

Never really have figured out SP's. Just all the previously released updates rolled into a big mess of downloads.

Why don't they just let you get the new updates you need on your own individually, like a normal update?

Most of the time I either wait until hell freezes over and I have to get it for something new to work, for those few times when a SP actually had something new in it, or I'm installing it on someone else's system!

Isn't this SP something like 1Gb+ also? Ridiculous!!

Travelar    35

It seems pretty much the same here, on both my laptop and desktop. Boot may be slightly faster, or it may be the placebo effect.

KaneHusky    13

Never really have figured out SP's. Just all the previously released updates rolled into a big mess of downloads.

You're wrong on that account. While all previously released updates are included, Service Packs also include non-essential updates that may benefit the end-user. Whether those updates directly affect you is not the point. The purpose is to "patch" the operating system as a whole and make it better for everyone!

Why don't they just let you get the new updates you need on your own individually, like a normal update?

You can do that. You aren't required to install the SP - unless future software requires it. Sometimes Service Packs introduce major updates that aren't meant to be released as normal updates. Try searching the internet for what is actually included in the service pack before assuming it isn't going to benefit everyone. Here's some notes on Windows 7 SP1. Granted, this SP may not affect the consumer more so than it does the server environment, but you still get some security and performance enhancements.

It's not like you adding an additional 1GB to the Windows install. The purpose of the Service Pack is to patch existing files while also introducing some new features. Therefore, it isn't going to take up that much additional space.

• Like 10

BetaAddict    107

No noticeable improvements on my computer. Just shows how well Windows 7 was coded from the start.

Martog    70

You can do that. You aren't required to install the SP - unless future software requires it. Sometimes Service Packs introduce major updates that aren't meant to be released as normal updates. Try searching the internet for what is actually included in the service pack before assuming it isn't going to benefit everyone. Here's some notes on Windows 7 SP1. Granted, this SP may not affect the consumer more so than it does the server environment, but you still get some security and performance enhancements.

However, with what Microsoft does, they will stop supporting RTM and older service packs as time goes on. Installing the latest service pack is generally recommended if it will not impact any software currently installed.

It's not like you adding an additional 1GB to the Windows install. The purpose of the Service Pack is to patch existing files while also introducing some new features. Therefore, it isn't going to take up that much additional space.

It does take disk space to store any files it backed up during the install process which do not automatically get removed. On my x64 install it takes up 640MB indicated by the screenshot. However, if everything works fine, one can just dump out these files that are backed up.

post-596-0-54650800-1298176871.jpg

hdood    145

It contains 625 fixes for known OS bugs. That is the purpose of a Service Pack, not improving performance or changing your wallpaper.

boogerjones    86

The service packs include hundreds of fixes that don't make the public Windows Update distribution.

BetaAddict    107

It does take disk space to store any files it backed up during the install process which do not automatically get removed. On my x64 install it takes up 640MB indicated by the screenshot. However, if everything works fine, one can just dump out these files that are backed up.

Thanks for pointing out how to delete the backup files. Cleared up that space now :)

Hum    6,933

My netbook was running at near 100% cpu usage, almost constantly, after the sp1 Install.

I had to switch off some .NET services process to stop it. :huh:

Otherwise Windows 7 sp1 seems to run OK.

Anyone else experience this ?

Suren    16

Notable Changes in Windows 7 With SP1

some changes listed below

• Improved HDMI audio device performance
  • Corrected behavior when printing mixed-orientation XPS documents
  • Change to behavior of “Restore previous folders at logon” functionality
  • Enhanced support for additional identities in RRAS and IPsec
  • Support for Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX) (intel Sandy bridge support)
  • Improved Support for Advanced Format (512e) Storage Devices

other then the above there is

• improve compatibility
  • reliability,
  • performance,
  • user experience.
  • Security

to find out everything read the files from below link

source: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=61924cea-83fe-46e9-96d8-027ae59ddc11&displaylang=en

• Like 1

REM2000    145

My netbook was running at near 100% cpu usage, almost constantly, after the sp1 Install.

I had to switch off some .NET services process to stop it. :huh:

Otherwise Windows 7 sp1 seems to run OK.

Anyone else experience this ?

Yep had the same thing with the .net optimiser MSCOR... whatever it's called running 100% when the netbook is idle. I think the best bet is to leave the netbook processing it, it should hopefully settle down soon. (Netbook :- MSI U135DX 2GB RAM Atom N470)

As for the orginal question, my safari seems snappier... whoops sorry wrong thread :rofl:

Nope not noticed anything, although i didn't expect to, apart from the big fixes needed in Vista ive never really experienced any improvements. Generally all SP's have no difference apart from a little more memory being used. (Compare WinXP vs WinXP SP3).

For me having SP1 images of Win7 makes my job easier when installing Win7 as i don't have to install loads of updates upon install. Something i wish Microsoft would do with WinXP, just one last SP to roll up the last big batch of updates (i understand their will be some more until 2014).

My real interest in SP1 is for Win2008, we run some Hyper-V servers so im looking forward to the dynamic memory, the RemoteFX im not too interested in at the moment.

+John Teacake    454

I was just going to post a separate thread about this but I saw yours. I have noticed that I installed it on my Macbook that I Dual Boot and it is very slow to start up now (After logging in) Once it gets going though its OK. No Notable Performance difference.

Blaze_Zewi    51

A few seconds delay (10 sec longer) on the welcome screen, but no big deal.

Was hoping they fix the folder location/remembering bug. Oh will maybe next time. :(

+John Teacake    454

A few seconds delay (10 sec longer) on the welcome screen, but no big deal.

Was hoping they fix the folder location/remembering bug. Oh will maybe next time. :(

+1

LiquidSolstice    115

+1

offtopic, but awesome username. Here's hoping the next season holds its ground :)

Youngy    27

Its 550MB