• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 7 SP1

Code149    0

I haven't noticed any major performance gains or losses. I'm pleased that some (at least one that I know of) of the UI-based glitches is fixed. Overall, there's certainly no reason not to install it. :)

UI glitches? Like the context-menu of the Recycle Bin icon?

Ruciz    2

It contains 625 fixes for known OS bugs. That is the purpose of a Service Pack, not improving performance or changing your wallpaper.

Weird, 625 fixes really SHOULD improve performance. I can't wait to find out if two of those 625 fixes are related to issues I have with windows 7.

- headphone jack not detected/swapped when inserted

- automatic reboots without notification, after 3AM patches I don't want to automatically install, are applied.

+John Teacake    454

offtopic, but awesome username. Here's hoping the next season holds its ground :)

QFT!

Frylock86    95

Well, I was hoping Microsoft would include some new features in this SP. I guess I will be sticking with XP for the time being, maybe SP2 will see some new features. There's another point for Tuxplorer, since XP, Microsoft hasn't released a SP with new features to make them worthwhile. That's why I like XP better.

(Hey, someone has to be that guy!) :laugh:

• Like 1

Youngy    27

Well, I was hoping Microsoft would include some new features in this SP.

MS adding new features in service packs is an exception, rather than the norm. Win7 is already an mature, worthwhile upgrade to WinXP

hdood    145

Weird, 625 fixes really SHOULD improve performance. I can't wait to find out if two of those 625 fixes are related to issues I have with windows 7.

- headphone jack not detected/swapped when inserted

- automatic reboots without notification, after 3AM patches I don't want to automatically install, are applied.

There is absolutely no reason why they would, unless your particular system was affected by a bug that reduced performance for you. In that case, the fix would restore it to the expected level. As for your headphone issues, that is likely a problem with your sound card or hardware (neither are made by Microsoft.)

Anyway, if you're "dying" to find out if something is fixed, you can just download the list of included hotfixes and look. It's been out for ages, so I guess you probably don't care that much.

max84    3

I just installed it. Of course there's always the feeling that things run smoother, but probably it's the same.

All works fine, though. Windows 7 has rocked, still rocks and will continue to rock!

KaneHusky    13

UI glitches? Like the context-menu of the Recycle Bin icon?

The "Open" icon in Windows Explorer with a folder selected was the ugly 'white page and window application' icon. Now it's a folder :)

Rigby    1,577

The "Open" icon in Windows Explorer with a folder selected was the ugly 'white page and window application' icon. Now it's a folder :)

I just checked and my open icon is ok. May have been just an icon cache issue on your machine.

Nagisan    248

I just checked and my open icon is ok. May have been just an icon cache issue on your machine.

Yeah, looks fine here too, shows the standard folder icon in the open button when a folder is selected.

Detection    2,256

My experience with SP1

Made absolutely no difference to anything, apart from breaking about 6 programs

Frylock86    95

My experience with SP1

Made absolutely no difference to anything, apart from breaking about 6 programs

What programs? Chances are they were doing something they weren't supposed to.

KaneHusky    13

Yeah, looks fine here too, shows the standard folder icon in the open button when a folder is selected.

I installed Windows 7 multiple times for different reasons and I always had the ugly icon. I know others that have it too. Strange.

BGM    101

Feels a bit snappier on my Q6600 that RTM did, but other than that, nothing.

rofl, good one ;)

BoDEAN    68

From within Windows 7, How do we verify what version of SP1 we are running? I ask, because RTM was released on the 16th, yet I installed in a week prior. I am not sure if what I installed was a beta or a RC. Thanks

Ryan Hoffman    9

Yep had the same thing with the .net optimiser MSCOR... whatever it's called running 100% when the netbook is idle. I think the best bet is to leave the netbook processing it, it should hopefully settle down soon. (Netbook :- MSI U135DX 2GB RAM Atom N470)

You really should turn that back on. It was using all of that CPU to do some native compiling of .NET dlls. It is a one time operation, meaning once it's finished it does not take up any CPU anymore. Any .NET program will significantly benefit from that.

Code149    0

I installed Windows 7 multiple times for different reasons and I always had the ugly icon. I know others that have it too. Strange.

It looks right, here too.

The only UI glitch I have noticed for a while is the context-menu of the recycle bin that pops up with no fade effect.

midway40    0

I haven't noticed any difference. But my HP Photosmart D110 wireless printer wouldn't work but a simple driver reinstall fixed it.

Detection    2,256

What programs? Chances are they were doing something they weren't supposed to.

All 3 of my 3DMark's - 06, Vantage and 11 -- Now crash on start, even after reinstalling them, they crash on start

Crysis and Crysis Warhead now fail to start, have not tried re-installing them yet.

Going to try a fresh install of the official Windows 7 SP1 from Technet at some point, and see if that fixes things, it was a right mess on getting SP1 to install from the installer

Zlain    113

Every now and again (maybe once / 2 -4 weeks) I get a random freeze and have to completely restart. I have fully updated my machine. Will SP1 probably fix this and anyone know what causes these random freezes? Literally everything freezes and nothing can be opened etc.

da00    115

Whoo.. Parameter Incorrect everytime I try installing SP1.

Godammit.

Rigby    1,577

Every now and again (maybe once / 2 -4 weeks) I get a random freeze and have to completely restart. I have fully updated my machine. Will SP1 probably fix this and anyone know what causes these random freezes? Literally everything freezes and nothing can be opened etc.

Could be a large number of things. I would start with checking your RAM and hard drive for faults (Memtest86+ is what I usually use for RAM testing) and maybe open it up and reseat the memory, make sure your fans are all operating and that the heat sink is not blocked with dust, etc. May also be a software issue, scan for viruses and malware, things like that. Check to see if you have any programs scheduled to run once every few weeks also, it might be causing the issue. It can be hard to track random freezes down but just keep working at it.

soldier1st    40

It feels slightly better on a Notebook i got.

corrosive23    87

From within Windows 7, How do we verify what version of SP1 we are running? I ask, because RTM was released on the 16th, yet I installed in a week prior. I am not sure if what I installed was a beta or a RC. Thanks

Start->run->winver