Windows 7 SP1

Managed to get it installed eventually on my 64Bit rig (third attempt via WU) and now the the .NET Runtime Optimization Service has done it`s thing (which will take ~50% CPU for at least 10-15 mins, check it out in Task Manager after re-booting) everything has settled down and back to normal :)

So anyone who sees a slowdown straight after installation, check if mscorsvw.exe (both 32Bit and 64Bit on a 64Bit machine) is crunching the CPU. It is set to Normal or Below Normal priority so shouldn`t affect stuff that much!

Anyone willing to time their welcome screen and see how long before it loads onto the desktop? Please :)

Since after my SP1 x64 installation my welcome screen went form 5 sec to a 30-40 sec delay :(

Can't get it installed. Always get this error, after it getting stuck on the downloading screen and flashes for a second when on 19%:

post-144414-0-24522100-1298465337.jpg

Any solution for that (using 64bit version)?

edit: New update has been uploaded. Hopefully, it will solve the problem.

post-144414-0-29726600-1298465614.jpg

Restarting.

You're wrong on that account. While all previously released updates are included, Service Packs also include non-essential updates that may benefit the end-user. Whether those updates directly affect you is not the point. The purpose is to "patch" the operating system as a whole and make it better for everyone!

You can do that. You aren't required to install the SP - unless future software requires it. Sometimes Service Packs introduce major updates that aren't meant to be released as normal updates. Try searching the internet for what is actually included in the service pack before assuming it isn't going to benefit everyone. Here's some notes on Windows 7 SP1. Granted, this SP may not affect the consumer more so than it does the server environment, but you still get some security and performance enhancements.

It's not like you adding an additional 1GB to the Windows install. The purpose of the Service Pack is to patch existing files while also introducing some new features. Therefore, it isn't going to take up that much additional space.

Edited:

Not even going to waste the wear and tear on my fingers to type out what I had here!

Can't get it installed. Always get this error, after it getting stuck on the downloading screen and flashes for a second when on 19%:

Any solution for that (using 64bit version)?

edit: New update has been uploaded. Hopefully, it will solve the problem.

post-144414-0-29726600-1298465614.jpg

Restarting.

Welcome to the club! Scrap SP1 if don't want to reinstall.

Did a clean install -- Win 7 , KBs needed for the SP (947821 and 976902), then SP1.

Runs great, no issues so far.

Only complaint is that it's not an easy thing to build your own SP1 DVD. I don't like having to use a third party tool to do so, as I've had some hit and miss with them. Can't afford the $$ for an MSDN subscription.

T

can someone give me the sha of en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_620851.iso

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx?pv=36:350

File Name: en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_620851.iso
Date Published (UTC): 2/16/2011 8:48:11 AM	Last Updated (UTC): 2/16/2011 8:48:11 AM
SHA1: B4821F46A171708F5F8F8A0EF48FC16529437961	ISO/CRC: D236FD70
Available to Levels: TechNet Professional (SA); TechNet Professional with Media (Retail); TechNet Professional (Retail); TechNet Professional with Media (VL); TechNet Professional (VL); TechNet Professional (Certified Partner); TechNet for Microsoft Competency Partners; TechNet Plus Consumer Service Professional Pilot; TechNet Standard (VL); TechNet Standard (Retail); TechNet for Action Pack; TechNet Professional (NFR); TechNet Professional (NFR MCT); TechNet Professional (NFR MVP); TechNet Professional (NFR FTE); TechNet Professional (NFR Bundle); TechNet for Microsoft Competency Partners; 

On my work machine I swear it made my display better. ON all my other machines it did not do much of anything.

Now on one of my servers at work i was waiting for this service pack as it includes all the fixes for those annoying iscsi errors.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx?pv=36:350

File Name: en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_620851.iso
Date Published (UTC): 2/16/2011 8:48:11 AM	Last Updated (UTC): 2/16/2011 8:48:11 AM
SHA1: B4821F46A171708F5F8F8A0EF48FC16529437961	ISO/CRC: D236FD70
Available to Levels: TechNet Professional (SA); TechNet Professional with Media (Retail); TechNet Professional (Retail); TechNet Professional with Media (VL); TechNet Professional (VL); TechNet Professional (Certified Partner); TechNet for Microsoft Competency Partners; TechNet Plus Consumer Service Professional Pilot; TechNet Standard (VL); TechNet Standard (Retail); TechNet for Action Pack; TechNet Professional (NFR); TechNet Professional (NFR MCT); TechNet Professional (NFR MVP); TechNet Professional (NFR FTE); TechNet Professional (NFR Bundle); TechNet for Microsoft Competency Partners; 

Thanks!

I have not really notice anything positive nor negative which is always good lol. Did notice some new features or whatever.. One thing though it has happened twice where my Windows 7 just freezes and is unresponsive for like 2 minutes and this only happened after I installed SP1.

:angry:

Prepare to reinstall Windows 7 if you have different OS in other partitions of your disk and the bootloader isn't Windows 7.

That´s hilarious!! Nice one Microsoft.

So if you've got Ubuntu on a different partition is installing SP1 a bad idea or is this just your experience? Can others confirm please?

I've changed my update settings until I get confirmation that it's safe. If it isn't I'll reformat when I go home for the summer.

SP1 is mainly just security updates, and previous updates, rather than anything new. If it's causing problems, chances are something was already broken. Also, if it causes a problem preventing Win 7 booting, why not just use system restore? The magic of the recovery environment.

SP1 is mainly just security updates, and previous updates, rather than anything new. If it's causing problems, chances are something was already broken. Also, if it causes a problem preventing Win 7 booting, why not just use system restore? The magic of the recovery environment.

My Fiance tried installing SP1 on his Windows 7 x64 machine and now it won't boot. Fatal error C0000034. He has no system restore points. Has anyone figured out a fix for this yet? A lot of people seem to be having this problem.

Go into Recovery Environment, open command prompt and use:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:976932

It's the command line uninstall for SP1. Not sure what the error is caused by exactly, but that should uninstall the update.

Go into Recovery Environment, open command prompt and use:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:976932

It's the command line uninstall for SP1. Not sure what the error is caused by exactly, but that should uninstall the update.

Thank you much. I will try that.

UPDATE: I tried what you said and this came up: "Installer encountered an error:0x8000fff Catastrophic failure"

If you manage to get it uninstalled like that, make sure to check for malware on the computer. The posts I've seen about it have generally been related to malware, but that may be just coincidence. Make sure to turn on System Restore in future, they can be rather useful.

So if you've got Ubuntu on a different partition is installing SP1 a bad idea or is this just your experience? Can others confirm please?

I've changed my update settings until I get confirmation that it's safe. If it isn't I'll reformat when I go home for the summer.

SP1 will just flat out refuse to install (probably with error 0x800f0a12) if the Windows 7 partition is not set as the active partition. If you're dual booting with GRUB, just mark the Win7 partition to activate on boot and SP1 should then install fine. Just my experience.

SP1 will just flat out refuse to install (probably with error 0x800f0a12) if the Windows 7 partition is not set as the active partition. If you're dual booting with GRUB, just mark the Win7 partition to activate on boot and SP1 should then install fine. Just my experience.

So if I'm in Windows 7 right now, and go to install SP1, it'll be fine, and allow me to boot back into Windows?

@Analise thanks for triggering my paranoia >_>

So if I'm in Windows 7 right now, and go to install SP1, it'll be fine, and allow me to boot back into Windows?

@Analise thanks for triggering my paranoia >_>

I have 2 dual boot computers, one installed perfectly fine. The other, Win7 SP1 wouldn't install until I set the Win7 partition as active. So 2/2 no problems.

:angry:

Prepare to reinstall Windows 7 if you have different OS in other partitions of your disk and the bootloader isn't Windows 7.

That´s hilarious!! Nice one Microsoft.

I have no issues. I am triple booting Asus eee 1000HA with Ubuntu 10.10 (netbook edition), Win XP, and Win 7 (Home Premium). The bootloader is GRUB and when I updated to Win 7 SP1, it is still fine.