Windows 7 SP1

Did a clean install -- Win 7 , KBs needed for the SP (947821 and 976902), then SP1.

Runs great, no issues so far.

Only complaint is that it's not an easy thing to build your own SP1 DVD. I don't like having to use a third party tool to do so, as I've had some hit and miss with them. Can't afford the $$ for an MSDN subscription.

T

I agree, third party tools are a dirty hack job. Long gone are the days of official XP Service Pack slipstreaming.

And you don't really need an MSDN/Technet sub, if you look on

WZOR

you can get already slipstreamed ISOs that are untouched and comes directly from Technet, the SHA1 hashes prove this.

Thank you much. I will try that.

UPDATE: I tried what you said and this came up: "Installer encountered an error:0x8000fff Catastrophic failure"

I think you will have to reformat. Microsoft Errors are a pain to work out, but if the backup files for SP1 were still present it would have been able to uninstall. You should be still able to get any important files off the computer by accessing the HD using a different OS, or different computer. Unless a repair installation fixes anything, reinstalling might be the only option.

No issues whatsoever w/ Win 7 SP1. Everything runs smooths, no problems installing on my PC as well as laptop.

Great work MS! (if you'll ask me)

Strange..so many people with problems. Luckily i had none.

I know, I started off the install before leaving my house for work.. logged in on my iphone to Logmein seemed like it had finished so I rebooted. The machine hasn't come back online yet after 30 mins, does it take longer?

I know, I started off the install before leaving my house for work.. logged in on my iphone to Logmein seemed like it had finished so I rebooted. The machine hasn't come back online yet after 30 mins, does it take longer?

I wouldnt worry just yet. When I was opening all my apps this morning after installing SP1 the exe's had changed and my AV (Kaspersky) wouldnt let them run until I had flagged them as ok. So it could be something similar to this.

It is faster at loading, but there are still a number of things which Mixrosoft ignored to fix.

There is still an issue with iconcasche where all the icons on the Taskbar random disappear and then come back at start up. there is also the issue with the Windows 7 Theme shell where there is an icon missing from Applications, I would have thought that they would have resolved this but no, it's still there same problem same issue with icons vanishing from the Taskbar at start up.

• Like 3

It is faster at loading, but there are still a number of things which Mixrosoft ignored to fix.

There is still an issue with iconcasche where all the icons on the Taskbar random disappear and then come back at start up. there is also the issue with the Windows 7 Theme shell where there is an icon missing from Applications, I would have thought that they would have resolved this but no, it's still there same problem same issue with icons vanishing from the Taskbar at start up.

its since ages

Yeah it sucks they didn't fix the Iconcache issues. Windows 7 seems to be far more susceptible to icons going corrupt than in XP.

3 different systems of mine with Windows 7 have shown icon corruption in just 1 or 2 program icons at one time or another in the Start Menu/Taskbar. Yesterday I had a freshly installed Windows 7 SP1 from technet installed to my netbook, VLC icon got corrupt just after 2 hours or so.

I didn't noticed that 'till you brought it up. It happens with executable programs such as .exe or .bat .

At least two other similar issues that MS has overlooked in SP1:

• You have two or more windows of an app open and their buttons on the taskbar produce no color fade effect when you hover your mouse over them.
  • The Recycle Bin icon's context menu has no fade effect on popping up.

And there's still no straightforward way to set a default web mail to open up when you try a mail related task in Windows such as the 'Mail recipient' item on the 'Send to' menu.

My computer still at times acts non-responsive, this is weird and it has to be SP1 because my Windows used to run flawlessly (for the most part :p).

My computer still at times acts non-responsive, this is weird and it has to be SP1 because my Windows used to run flawlessly (for the most part :p).

I think I noticed this yesterday also.. not sure will keep monitoring. Shockwave player works fine in Firefox 4.0 Beta 11.. chrome crashes instantly even after reinstalls etc.

The only thing I have noticed is that my icons for torrents seems to have changed to Opera's icon.

So I uninstalled Opera, but no avail.

Even though uTorrent is set as the default app, it still won't open torrent files. Got to test when I have more time.

Installed fine for me. I looked at the changes document from MS. I didn't recognize any of the new features ... wish added new things like Apple does, even if it's just supposed to be a "service" pack.

Installed fine for me. I looked at the changes document from MS. I didn't recognize any of the new features ... wish added new things like Apple does, even if it's just supposed to be a "service" pack.

I wished that too, but they tend to include in a service pack the back-ported features of a later OS in the target OS (case in point: Vista SP2 included a few Windows 7 features), unless there's a an urgent need for new functionality such as security features.

This service pack sucks! I have NEVER had so many issues with a service pack from Microsoft. I can't even install it on two of my three computers. Mine installed fine in 30 minutes. The other two in the house a Compaq laptop and an acer won't configure the service pack. It installs but when it shuts down to configure it gets to 14% then reboots. Upon rebooting it goes back down to 7% then back up to 14%. Repeat cycle for several hours berfore it says failure to configure service pack reverting changes. I'm nto the only one having this issues either. There are several posts at the social.microsoft.com forums with the same issue. I tried WU i tried the standalone installer. I tried the system update readiness tool and still the same thing. Microsoft really screwed the pooch with this service pack. The only suggestions from those forums i haven't had a chance to try is a clean boot or check the disk for errors.

Just to report back:

Installed on a Home Premium and two Professionals, all fine, no problems.

Installed through Windows Update.

A hell of a lot of people must be doing something wrong somewhere :/

there is also the issue with the Windows 7 Theme shell where there is an icon missing from Applications, I would have thought that they would have resolved this but no, it's still there same problem same issue with icons vanishing from the Taskbar at start up.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this was intentional and not a bug, believe it or not. I'll try to find where I read that.

I had no issues whatsoever installing SP1.

I think I noticed this yesterday also.. not sure will keep monitoring. Shockwave player works fine in Firefox 4.0 Beta 11.. chrome crashes instantly even after reinstalls etc.

MAN I need to get back to Chrome this is annoying.. uninstalled / reinstalled loads

Just to report back:

Installed on a Home Premium and two Professionals, all fine, no problems.

Installed through Windows Update.

A hell of a lot of people must be doing something wrong somewhere :/

Installed it on severals PC's now. Three more to go tomorrow.

For some reason I always use the iso/full installer. Never Windows Updates.

I guess this feeling is based that naybe some updates don't get installed. Strange & ridiculous feeling I know, but some people do have strange tendencies......