ARG! Upcoming New Macbook Pro Refresh

134 members have voted

1. 1. Planning on getting a new MBP?

• Yes, 13".
    • Yes, 15".
    • Yes, 17".
    • No.

The reason why I'm not going to buy the refresh models is because I just bought the 2010 MBP model, so I don't think it's time for me to upgrade just yet. I plan on running this one for as long as I can before they make some sort of irresistible change that I must have. Hopefully I can make this last 3-4 years like my first-gen Black MacBook.

That said, I think if the rumours are correct, this revision will be pretty feature-loaded and exciting. Hopefully they find a better way to do GPU switching, because the way it is handled on my 2010 model could be much better... and hopefully they finally integrate some sort of high speed interface like USB 3.0 or LightPeak.

And a Black MacBook Pro would be amazing, but don't hold your breath.

I also hope they stick to the 16:10 aspect ratio. I absolutely loathe 16:9 laptops (almost every other laptop other than Apple has fallen to this unfortunate fate). The extra vertical pixel count is nothing to shake a stick at. PC users look at my 15" MBP and think it's a 17".

The reason why I'm not going to buy the refresh models is because I just bought the 2010 MBP model, so I don't think it's time for me to upgrade just yet. I plan on running this one for as long as I can before they make some sort of irresistible change that I must have. Hopefully I can make this last 3-4 years like my first-gen Black MacBook.

That said, I think if the rumours are correct, this revision will be pretty feature-loaded and exciting. Hopefully they find a better way to do GPU switching, because the way it is handled on my 2010 model could be much better... and hopefully they finally integrate some sort of high speed interface like USB 3.0 or LightPeak.

And a Black MacBook Pro would be amazing, but don't hold your breath.

I also hope they stick to the 16:10 aspect ratio. I absolutely loathe 16:9 laptops (almost every other laptop other than Apple has fallen to this unfortunate fate). The extra vertical pixel count is nothing to shake a stick at. PC users look at my 15" MBP and think it's a 17".

MBPs have pretty high resale value, if there are enough useful changes from the upcoming update then you'll probably end up paying the difference for an updated model.

I would count on 1366 by 768

Dobut it, Apple has been marketing high res "retina" displays. Look at the mba... big focal point was better res than compeitiers.

to put it bluntly if the MBP starts shipping with a 1440x900 resolution display, i'll be all over that ****..

first Mac :D

to put it bluntly if the MBP starts shipping with a 1440x900 resolution display, i'll be all over that ****..

first Mac :D

that all depends on the gpu, if Apple wants to continue with some good gaming performance they'll use ATi or Nvidia on the 13" just to keep up with gaming resolution.

some more rumor news

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/20/apple-announcing-new-high-speed-interconnect-light-peak-here-we/

that all depends on the gpu, if Apple wants to continue with some good gaming performance they'll use ATi or Nvidia on the 13" just to keep up with gaming resolution.

can you expand on how this is relevant? :unsure:

soz if that's a silly question..

can you expand on how this is relevant? :unsure:

I'm not sure what you mean, you mentioned resolution but most of time Apple increases the resolution on specific models according to screen size and graphics.

I'm not sure what you mean, you mentioned resolution but most of time Apple increases the resolution on specific models according to screen size and graphics.

so you're saying that "yes, they are likely to increase the resolution" ?

the way your response is phrased didn't seem to lean one way or another, also the fact i don't give a damn about gaming confused me a bit, lol :D

so you're saying that "yes, they are likely to increase the resolution" ?

the way your response is phrased didn't seem to lean one way or another, also the fact i don't give a damn about gaming confused me a bit, lol :D

My bad I may have confused some of things I was contemplating :blush:

I started looking at the MBA native resolution "Supported resolutions: 1366 by 768 (native), 1344 by 756, 1280 by 720, 1024 by 576 pixels at 16:9 aspect ratio; 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio"

I'm thinking you may get your wish on the 13" model

My bad I may have confused some of things I was contemplating :blush:

I started looking at the MBA native resolution "Supported resolutions: 1366 by 768 (native), 1344 by 756, 1280 by 720, 1024 by 576 pixels at 16:9 aspect ratio; 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio"

I'm thinking you may get your wish on the 13" model

That's the 11" model. The 13" has a 1440x900 resolution, I don't see any reason why the 13" MBP shouldn't get the same treatment.

That's the 11" model. The 13" has a 1440x900 resolution, I don't see any reason why the 13" MBP shouldn't get the same treatment.

you're right, so it'll only be a matter of this update.

So it seems to be all but certain. The new Macbook Pros have already shipped to retailers, but Apple is threatening to pull their licenses to sell if they open the shipments before being given the ok. I seriously cannot wait to see what's in store.

http://www.slashgear.com/macbook-pro-sales-stalled-until-refresh-resellers-warned-over-mysterious-stock-21134772/

anybody wants to sell their macbook pro for cheap? let me know... i dont care about this "new macbook pro rumor", i just need a decent macbook pro to work with.

I doubt anyone will sell for "cheap" considering macs don't depreciate very fast. I personally sold mine for $50 more than what I paid :whistle:

Edit: If I manage to sell my iMac I might consider just getting a 27" Cinema Display and just using the macbook as my only machine

Not voting in the poll because I want one, but can't justify buying one at the moment. May be my next machine though.

So it seems to be all but certain. The new Macbook Pros have already shipped to retailers, but Apple is threatening to pull their licenses to sell if they open the shipments before being given the ok. I seriously cannot wait to see what's in store.

http://www.slashgear.com/macbook-pro-sales-stalled-until-refresh-resellers-warned-over-mysterious-stock-21134772/

If someone opened the pallet just to see the new design of the product, how would Apple know?

If someone opened the pallet just to see the new design of the product, how would Apple know?

Because the one that opened the pallet would carry a little friend called Mr. Blurrycam and it would leak all over the internet. That's how Apple would know. ;) Or could you keep it to you if it was amazingly revolutional or just really, really different to what the MBPs look today and you knew there were folks willing to pay for Mr. Blurrycams blurry pictures? :p

Haven't seen any info/rumors about that being updated.

Its generally a week after, but no one ever talks about the MB, only the MBP.