ARG! Upcoming New Macbook Pro Refresh

134 members have voted

1. 1. Planning on getting a new MBP?

• Yes, 13".
    • Yes, 15".
    • Yes, 17".
    • No.

I have a strong suspicion you'll love the trackpad, though. Two-finger scrolling is incredibly natural and the tap-to-click is far and away the best feature. But yes, you can turn it off to do a physical click (I believe this is the default behavior.)

But if there's one thing the MacBook excels at, it's the trackpad. Far and away the best one on any portable computer.

I have a strong suspicion you'll love the trackpad, though. Two-finger scrolling is incredibly natural and the tap-to-click is far and away the best feature. But yes, you can turn it off to do a physical click (I believe this is the default behavior.)

But if there's one thing the MacBook excels at, it's the trackpad. Far and away the best one on any portable computer.

I'm absolutely sure I'll love it, two-finger scrolling has been enabled on every laptop I've ever used, and I'm certainly excited to see what the other features of it are. I guess I might get used to just tap to click, I understand that entire touchpad can be clicked down, but for me, the instinct to just lightly touch the touchpad to click is natural.

Does it feel clumsy though when you need to click and drag something? Like, one a windows PC, I would click and hold a mouse button with my thumb and then use my index finger to drag and drop.

The trackpad has a tap-and-drag feature. What you do is tap and hold down your finger, and then you can move the object around. Lift your finger and it drops. It's something that felt really weird to me at first, but now I'm very used to it. And there's even a drag lock feature so if you do want to lift your finger, the object is still being held and you have to tap again to release it.

As for multi-touch gestures, there are already quite a few, and Lion will probably bring more. There are third-party tools as well to make your own.

I was always statisfied with the size of my MBP trackpad, especially considering the "size" of other trackpads. But big is always better. :whistle:

I'd love to see MBA13"-grade MBP-panels, I love the higher res on my buddys MBA. Would be stupid for Apple to leave the 13" MBP with 1280x800...

Apple's trackpads are the ######. Nobody else even comes close.

Yeah, I ended up getting a free upgrade from HP to the tm2 (from my tx2), and the downside is that it has the obnoxious touchpad from the original Envy 13. I can't beleive how ****ty one can make a TouchPad. I thought people were just making a big deal about it, but it's seriously terrible.

Can't wait to get my MBP.

It would be about time. Do people really use these folders? I guess if you want privacy, you would, but if you’re the only one using the computer, you would create directories on the root of your Hard drive :

Downloads, Music, Videos, Documents, ...

I don't know anyone who does that, no matter what the OS they are using (unless we are talking about Windows 3.1 or some ancient version of Mac OS). Why would you go to the trouble of creating those folders in the root of the drive when they are already created for you in your home folder. Doing so is just begging for permission problems on any files you create there.

The trackpad has a tap-and-drag feature. What you do is tap and hold down your finger, and then you can move the object around. Lift your finger and it drops. It's something that felt really weird to me at first, but now I'm very used to it. And there's even a drag lock feature so if you do want to lift your finger, the object is still being held and you have to tap again to release it.

As for multi-touch gestures, there are already quite a few, and Lion will probably bring more. There are third-party tools as well to make your own.

I would use the tap and drag feature except when I enable it, I notice a slight delay in the click reaction time for normal left clicking. This slight delay is likely because OS X is waiting to see if you just want to click, or you want to drag instead. Whatever the reason, it drives me nuts so I disable the feature and just hold down the physical clicker to drag things now.

And two finger scrolling is the best thing since sliced bread. Possibly even better.

I don't know anyone who does that, no matter what the OS they are using (unless we are talking about Windows 3.1 or some ancient version of Mac OS). Why would you go to the trouble of creating those folders in the root of the drive when they are already created for you in your home folder. Doing so is just begging for permission problems on any files you create there.

As I said, I have thousands of files in there and I don't like having so many files and folders so deep on my hard drive.

What I want is

Mac OS X > Downloads > 1200 files

not

Mac OS X > Users > My Account > Downloads > 1200 files

No permission problems here. Both Macs belong to me and only me.

As I said, I have thousands of files in there and I don't like having so many files and folders so deep on my hard drive.

What I want is

not

Why? It doest cause any problems aside from the fact you seem to have a problem with it. Windows and *nix boxes are all set up that way. I would guess that if there was a problem with it then they wouldn't have all gone that route.

What I want is

not

Create a Symlink and forget about it.

What I want is

not

In the end it's only ~/Downloads but okay... With Spotlight, Stacks, the Finder sidebar, aliases and "Go to Folder" I have no idea why you would go through all the trouble of clicking the Finder / Macintosh HD icon > Users > ~ > Downloads to get there in the first place.

Sounds to me like your issue with the Home folder is something purely psychological rather than it being actually less convenient than your solution. In fact your solution is more of a hassle and risky in the end: You have to create all those folders that already exist elsewhere. Not to mention instead of having one confined path that hosts all of your personal files you have multiple. Fact is if things go south I have only one folder to worry about and that's my Home folder. I have no critical personal files stored elsewhere on my Mac. For example when making a backup I only have to drag my Home folder to an external disk and I'm done. What you're doing is scatter things all over the place which means you have to worry about multiple paths.

• Like 2

Sounds to me like your issue with the Home folder is something purely psychological rather than it being actually less convenient than your solution. In fact your solution is more of a hassle and risky in the end

1. You’re right.

2. It took me 15 minutes to create the folders, add a custom icon to them and get everything right in every application I use.

3. My Mac logs me in automatically, so if I want to fix the riskiest things, I’ll know what to do first...

considering pretty much selling my soul to get one of these if they are decent. dying for a new laptop.

Well, if you are dying for a new one, now's the perfect timing for getting rid of your soul, isn't it? :-P

resolution nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

please be a cost option :/

What's strange is that according to SlashGear (http://www.slashgear.com/new-macbook-pro-specs-leak-plus-apple-thunderbolt-light-peak-branding-23135347/) the 13" will ship with the MBA 13" resolution by default.

But then again, Slashgear also says that the price point for the baseline MBP 13" is going to be $1600?!?! !@##@!$@#!

I really hope the 13'' starts with 1280×800 and 1440×900 is a BTO option. Apple always claims they've pioneered widescreen in portables, and yet it's 2011 and they're still pushing 1280×800? I had a 14'' Dell from six years ago with the better resolution, and even Apple's own 11'' MBA has a better resolution than the current 13'' Pro.

FaceTime HD Webcam with 720p support? Sweet :laugh:

But honestly, I haven’t seen the quality of the iSight augment in 4 years, while it was doing greater and greater on the iPhone...

FaceTime is now out of beta and I hope there will be an update to Photo Booth to take advantage of all this.

Higher end 13" will have 1440 by 900 resolution and the 16GB OS Storage

I'm cool with this.

The above specs chart says otherwise.

FaceTime HD Webcam with 720p support? Sweet :laugh:

Really fun part is that the iSight hardware supports 2 megapixels since the original aluminum iMac from 2007. For some amazing reason Photo Booth still records VGA only.