Zune HD now available in Canada

Today, Microsoft has announced that its Zune HD player is now available to those living in Canada!

Jessica Zahn, Program Manager on Zune, details that Zune HD's will now ship to Canada via the Zune Originals site. It's not clear if they will be made available at retail in the near future.

However, the Music Marketplace is not yet available, but the Zune team is working on making this happen.

04:28 Jessica Zahn:

So if you go to the Zune Originals site, and you’re from Canada? We’re selling the Zune HD, via Zune Originals, in Canada?We don’t have a Music Marketplace there, we don’t have an ETA on when we will have a marketplace there. It’s all about, first the licensing, and then about the development work we have to do to bring that to Canada.

Matt Akers:

There’s been some talking about it though

Jessica Zahn:

Definitely talk – many words – have been said

WinRumors also details the recent news that the Zune services will be rebranded under the Live umbrella, which was also hinted at in the podcast.

01:50 Matt Akers

“I guess the meta-point here? Zune is not dead. We still have jobs, right, and I still get my paycheck and I still work on a thing called – yeah – you know what it’s called, Dorado – that’s the code name, blah, but that’s Zune, dude”

SOURCE: http://www.liveside.net/2011/02/19/zune-hd-coming-to-canada/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+liveside+(LiveSide)

Could have fooled me.

It must be easy I guess, the service itself is growing quite well now that it's expanded, and the service is where the real money is made. The Canadians only have their silly version of the RIAA to blame for holding back content and by extention, the ZuneHD for all this time. Case in point, Netflix, Netflix in Canada is a joke.

Could have fooled me.

It should be noted that the software giant?s Zune Video service gained over 50% more market share in 2010 compared to 2009, thanks to an international launch of the Zune Marketplace. ;)

It should be noted that the software giant?s Zune Video service gained over 50% more market share in 2010 compared to 2009, thanks to an international launch of the Zune Marketplace. ;)

50% increase over a fairly low share?

50% increase over a fairly low share?

you're just never pleased? Love your iCrap that much? ZuneHD is not only better spec-wise but also overall quality imo. Congrats to Team Zune for another expansion.

It must be easy I guess, the service itself is growing quite well now that it's expanded, and the service is where the real money is made. The Canadians only have their silly version of the RIAA to blame for holding back content and by extention, the ZuneHD for all this time. Case in point, Netflix, Netflix in Canada is a joke.

Netflix aside, source for that comment?* I mean we did have the original Zunes on market for a while, then they vanished from store shelves roughly around the time the Zune HD launched in the US. Surely there's more to that than just the industry at fault, not that I'm excusing them though.

On topic, it's about time. But for me, too little too late. If this was a calendar year ago, then...

*That issue falls with, I'm guessing, the CRTC and not the CRIA.

edit: I was interested at when Apple released the first generation iPod in the Canadian market. I thought to compare two similar cases of newcomers to the market (at the time). According to Wikipedia, the iPod was available on October 23, 2001. I took that as the US availability (it could have been global, I'm not sure), but I went back in the Internet Archive to see when the iPod was available at apple.ca. It was on their front page on November 15.

So what exactly warrants this 1 year 5 month gap between the release of Zune HDs in the US and Canada? Well, maybe even longer considering there's no retail availability. Some people here have imported them to Canada and can deal with a lack of a local Marketplace.

you're just never pleased? Love your iCrap that much? ZuneHD is not only better spec-wise but also overall quality imo. Congrats to Team Zune for another expansion.

It may be better spec wise but does it sell as well, internationally and locally? I have never seen a Zune in person. But everyone around me in the subway uses an iPod touch. Why? Because after all these years, it's still not available here.

It may be better. But that quite obviously is not at all important...

It may be better spec wise but does it sell as well, internationally and locally? I have never seen a Zune in person. But everyone around me in the subway uses an iPod touch. Why? Because after all these years, it's still not available here.

Microsoft don't really seem to be making much of a push to sell the device. It could have been huge, but someone up high probably decided it wasn't worth the resources needed to market it efficiently. So these days its generally more relgated to being a nice little secret joy for gadget enthusiasts for the most part - even shops don't really want to seem to give it much shelf space. The device does it's job admirably, though maybe slightly outdated features wise, it still stands up pretty well for a dedicated PMP.

The HD isn't available where you live. I've seen quite a few here in the States that weren't my own.

The HD isn't available where you live. I've seen quite a few here in the States that weren't my own.

I know. That's what I said. Read again.

I'd love to own a Zune HD, it looks amazing, judging from pictures and reviews, but obviously I can't.

My point is, though, that specs don't matter when it comes to success in the market.

"Hey, Bill Gates, can you help me configure my Zune? Oh, wait. I have an iPod -- like the rest of the world."

'Nuff said.

That's a little over the top, considering a good number do have the Zune HD. It's not very big in marketshare, but neither is the Mac and people use that. So it could also be said "Hey, Steve Jobs, can you help my configure my Mac? Oh, wait, i have Windows -- like the rest of the world."

"Hey, Bill Gates, can you help me configure my Zune? Oh, wait. I have an iPod -- like the rest of the world."

'Nuff said.

+1. I remember waiting eagerly for the Zune HD to release in India but people already know what happened. Not at all a Ifan boy but I am all happy with my iPod touch and this news makes me Yawn!

Zune HD is so old at this point though, remember it was launched in September of 09. Apple is about to release a second generation of hardware since.. There's been talk about Zune HD2 since last Spring, nothing has shown up and that's nearly a year..

I'm in the market now for new hardware, everybody outside of Apple hasn't released new stuff since 2009. It's a bit of a pain when you want to get something decent and modern and noone has bothered to refresh or revise anything in quite some time.

edit: Actually, I'm aware that there's now a push to release some Android powered media player devices, there's a few out from Creative, Archos has had some for awhile, Samsung recently announced a Galaxy S media player and there's a bunch of tablet like devices - but I'm not really impressed by any of these, they don't seem to serve the same purpose or market, and the media player capabilities I've tested on my Epic 4G and Intercept Android devices is inferior to traditional dedicated media players. The original rumor for Zune HD2 is its' to mimic the functionality of Windows Phone 7, basically all media players are becoming copycats of Phone and Phones copycat of our media players. I like the idea but they need to spend some time ensuring sound quality and media playback capability is really up to par unlike what I've seen so far (not talking about Apple products).

I would have bought this on launch when they released it what when like a year and a half ago. Now it just seems dated and they are just bringing it over. Sorry MS but this is attempt is fail.

they are probaly trying to offload what they can so microsoft can launch zune hd2

This could be the case, the ZuneHD can't play nice with WP7 or it's apps so it's limited, no reason to really push it hard anymore. A new ZuneHD2 with full support for WP7 apps is what they should try and get out quick, that's if they'll make one, who knows.

MS always wanted to push the service side more than anything, not really the hardware, and we have rumors of a brand change, so timing could match up with a rebrand and a new "ZuneHD2" device running WP7 and released in the same markets since the service has already expanded.

As far as the 1year delay goes, well, my best guess is that MS pulled the Zune hardware guys over to WP7, which is 1 year+ in dev and had them work on that.

This could be the case, the ZuneHD can't play nice with WP7 or it's apps so it's limited, no reason to really push it hard anymore. A new ZuneHD2 with full support for WP7 apps is what they should try and get out quick, that's if they'll make one, who knows.

MS always wanted to push the service side more than anything, not really the hardware, and we have rumors of a brand change, so timing could match up with a rebrand and a new "ZuneHD2" device running WP7 and released in the same markets since the service has already expanded.

As far as the 1year delay goes, well, my best guess is that MS pulled the Zune hardware guys over to WP7, which is 1 year+ in dev and had them work on that.

What might end up happening is Microsoft releases a new general purpose version of WP7 software for use in tablets and media devices (mp3 players and PDAs, etc), and if they don't plan to release the hardware themselves anymore, it will be left to third party vendors to design the hardware and install the OS. This is sort of what people are doing with Android now...

This is a case of too little too late. There's no way it'll sell with no Marketplace or retail availability. Might as well just throw them in the dump and just release the next gen Zune.

What might end up happening is Microsoft releases a new general purpose version of WP7 software for use in tablets and media devices (mp3 players and PDAs, etc), and if they don't plan to release the hardware themselves anymore, it will be left to third party vendors to design the hardware and install the OS. This is sort of what people are doing with Android now...

Well the rumors now, as far as tablets go, is that they'll ship with a version of Windows 8 on them before the full desktop version is released. And honestly I think this could be the better choice, WP7 is nice ofc but it's missing things and APIs that aren't done or haven't been added yet. All of those are will be in Windows 8, the rest is a nice tablet friendly/finger friendly UI + app store/marketplace. There are rumors of both as far as WIn8 goes, also it doesn't take much to run WP7 apps on desktop windows as well, it's all SL/XNA in the end.

The smarter move IMO would be for MS to drop the Zune hardware brand, maybe keep the Zune name for the service only, and then make a ZuneHD2 but go with the Xbox brand, make a Xbox Portable finally, with slide out controls for some better games. slap it on a tegra 2 and call it a day. Instand sales right there, and the tie-in to the WP7 marketplace and games means you're making your devs happy as well.

Tablets can then get Win8, with a rumored new touch UI, and a Windows App store as well. Do some .NET/SL/XNA magic and also run any WP7 apps on it, in a modified window so you see the whole app UI in the panaramic instead of just one part like on the phone. I really don't see anything else they need to do at this point, just make the UI for WIn8 in tablet mode fast/smoother and unique like WP7s and you'll have a winner.

The Zune HD is based on 2 year-old hardware: It has a much lower resolution screen, smaller screen, slower processor, half the RAM, no camera, no front facing camera, no HD video recording, no Bluetooth, no 3-axis gyroscope etc. And because the Zune HD lacks a real App Store it's indefinitely more limited than the iPod touch when it comes to functionality.

So beyond the output of 720p video how is the Zune HD better spec-wise?

The Zune HD is based on 2 year-old hardware: It has a much lower resolution screen, smaller screen, slower processor, half the RAM, no camera, no front facing camera, no HD video recording, no Bluetooth, no 3-axis gyroscope etc. And because the Zune HD lacks a real App Store it's indefinitely more limited than the iPod touch.

So beyond the output of 720p video how is the Zune HD better spec-wise?

Better Codec support (plays my massive collection of xvid movies), OLED screen (colours are better), better sound quality (sounds better by default, EQ included), HD radio, Wireless sync, etc.

Most of the things you list, have no relevance if all you want is a media player, the exact reason I went to the effort of importing my zune to the UK.

iPod fans love spouting off features (especially the number of apps available) yet the basics of the device are left neglected and as a media player the iPod is one of the worst.

Most of the things you list, have no relevance if all you want is a media player, the exact reason I went to the effort of importing my zune to the UK.

That's because the iPod touch is much more than just a media player. The lack of Xvid support is basically a non-issue unless you pirate your videos. Things like Wirelss sync are just a gimmick to me.

iPod fans love spouting off features (especially the number of apps available) yet the basics of the device are left neglected and as a media player the iPod is one of the worst.

Hardly.