Modem stuck on 'send' blinking

Hey guys, on campus right now but here is the ordeal:

Our apartment has a Motorola SB5100 modem connected to a Belkin wireless router.

I know the issue is with the modem and nothing to do with the router (well, pretty sure), all research I've done has lead to other forums and crappy webpages with often little or no information.

One article I did find stated to unplug to Coax cable, then kill power and plug both back into the router, but this does nothing. Our internet connection has been either completely inaccessible or only stays up temporarily.

I am on the forum because my apartment complex is incompetent and has taken days to even contact our ISP and are in no rush to help with our situation for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From a quick google search, it looks like the only real reset function on that modem is from in the webpage interface

Visit 192.168.100.1 from your browser, navigate to Configuration > "Reset All Defaults" near the bottom > once the page refreshes, click on "Restart Cable Modem"

---------

Note:

Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior initializations.

The process to get back online from a factory default condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes.

This may seem like a strange question, but have you scanned all the computers connecting to the router for malware? I used to own a Belkin wireless router, and I found that it was so bad that large scale data transfer caused it to lock up and sometimes even crash. Have you entertained the idea that there may be an IRC zombie somewhere on your network?

From a quick google search, it looks like the only real reset function on that modem is from in the webpage interface

Visit 192.168.100.1 from your browser, navigate to Configuration > "Reset All Defaults" near the bottom > once the page refreshes, click on "Restart Cable Modem"

---------

Note:

Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior initializations.

The process to get back online from a factory default condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes.

Would this be any different than 192.168.2.1? That's where I've been going for the Belkin router (and resetting from there) but nothing comes up for the motorola modem, would putting 192.168.100.1 make a difference?

This may seem like a strange question, but have you scanned all the computers connecting to the router for malware? I used to own a Belkin wireless router, and I found that it was so bad that large scale data transfer caused it to lock up and sometimes even crash. Have you entertained the idea that there may be an IRC zombie somewhere on your network?

I'm pretty sure we are not dealing with an IRC zombie as my rommates have no clue what that is, and we're on a secure network unless we're being hijacked for our connection, but we haven't given out our password..

192.168.100.1 is the default interface for motorola (and other) ISP modems so that's how you log into that system. Your modem isn't getting a clear signal on the upstream frequencies so that's why it's stuck there. Check cables and/or move modem to another socket to see if it connects there.

Would this be any different than 192.168.2.1? That's where I've been going for the Belkin router (and resetting from there) but nothing comes up for the motorola modem, would putting 192.168.100.1 make a difference?

I'm pretty sure we are not dealing with an IRC zombie as my rommates have no clue what that is, and we're on a secure network unless we're being hijacked for our connection, but we haven't given out our password..

Like you say, the issue is not with the Belkin router, so resetting that will do nothing - 192.168.100.1 is the place you need to go to access and reset the problem modem

Alright so by typing 192.168.100.1 I'll get the Motorola modem rather than the Belkin router, and it will have an online interface just the same?

What if it is the coax cable? I'll just have to call my ISP? Because that one is run through the ceiling from our laundry room because that's how the apartment complex ran it...

Lastly, is there anything else on my end I can do without the ISP (until they come around) other than connecting to the router and modem via their respective addresses, restarting it and messing with cables?

Yes it will have an interface similar to the belkin, but not exactly the same

If the Coax cable is damaged then yea call the ISP

Other than that, only the ISP will be able to determine the issue, probably check the cabling and replace the modem