Windows 7 is super snappy after SP1

Anyone else notice this. I know Microsoft has said SP1 is just a bunch of updates combined, but I couldn't help notice how much snappier everything was. Windows 7 was pretty fast before, but on my MacBook Pro now everything seems to fly :D

Hmm I did think it seemed a good deal faster. I reckon there were changes made to delay the start of certain services or something sneaky just for the first few reboots before it goes back to normal.

But it definitely noticeably faster and I wasn't expecting any change at all.

thats probably because your harddrive was fragmented before you updated.

There are 2 updates on windows update now that improve reliability and performance, maybe you installed those after?

Well I hope whatever they did, they continue to advance on in order to make Windows 8 super fast :woot:

@ torrentthief, yea there were a few other updates, but for some reason it wasnt able to install all of them

@ thebettertwin, did you have the Beta or RC installed already ?

I think SP1 provided a good a performance boost to my PC. Also Start up and Shutdown time have reduced considiberally.

I don't know, if anyone else has notice this or not but Win7 SP1 is using Intel Turbo Boost more effeciently.

Probably placebo. I can't feel any measurable difference...

Agreed. I installed it this morning, and there's been pretty much no difference in performance whatsoever. The only change since installing SP1 was that Firefox was freezing more than usual (just quick freezes, where it would freeze, and them go back to normal after just a couple of seconds), but it's gone back to normal now. :)

Christ, the amount of SP1 threads going to be created now is rediculous!

More than ridiculous even!!

thats probably because your harddrive was fragmented before you updated.

There are 2 updates on windows update now that improve reliability and performance, maybe you installed those after?

Yeah, your system probably did one of it's scheduled/automated disk defrags. See why you still need to defrag, although a lot of people say it isn't necessary anymore.

Absolutely no difference here.

There is several reasons why some people will find it snappier and some won't

• Perhaps fixed a bug that was impeding performance before
  • Placebo effect
  • Sorted some system files that were impeding performance for numerous reasons

Ultimately not everybody will see the same result from installing service pack. The chances are we will never find out why some machine get an improvement because most people wouldn't be aware there was a problem before.

• Like 3

You guys are talking about the updates released post-SP1, one was for xps printing and the other one was a fix for D3D and D2D apps crashing. No performance improvements there.

As for me, I'm on the same boat as +-T- (some name you got ;D)... while the system is snappy as 7 always' been loading time after logging in seems to have gone up :unsure:

You guys are talking about the updates released post-SP1, one was for xps printing and the other one was a fix for D3D and D2D apps crashing. No performance improvements there.

As for me, I'm on the same boat as +-T- (some name you got ;D)... while the system is snappy as 7 always' been loading time after logging in seems to have gone up :unsure:

That last hotfix (for D3D and D2D appcrashes) *could* have solved the performance woes if the issue was a wonky graphics driver.