Windows 7 is super snappy after SP1

Placebo or not, my Windows Explorer seems a lot snappier and doesn't chug along with that green progress bar in the address bar. Happy bunny.

By the way, my SP1 x64 install was only 88Mb through Windows Update. To download it direct in all its glory it's nigh on a gig.

I without a doubt feel the explorer, especially clicking on something from the desktop, seems more responsive overall. It is not like it was slow by any means before SP1, but now it seems instantaneous to me, especially on my gaming PC which is a pretty nice machine to begin with. But I also noticed it on my HP laptop, which is what needed the most help in the snappy department.

Well there are performance bug fixes included, so possibly you were affected by it. The SP1 isn't just a roll-up of all prior updates, it does contain important bug fixes that couldn't be released outside of a Service Pack.

To see all of the changes see:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=61924cea-83fe-46e9-96d8-027ae59ddc11&displaylang=en

While it's somewhat of a placebo, I felt it too on the first leaked exe from Wzor and my install was only days old; there are several performance and reliability updates included with SP1 as well as another that was on Windows Update. I have the integrated ISO from TechNet and I still got another performance update from WU. That one was for the Direct2D/3D stuff but as we know, even Aero uses DirectX so that should help that too. With over a year of work that went into optimising code and blah blah, I would be surprised if it wasn't somewhat faster. Then you'd say why wouldn't they just push that out over WU, probably to only do security mods to kernel and other low level stuff over WU but service pack is a good time to do a full clean sweep of the system since that's easier to rollback incase of failure.

My system ran very fast for me yesterday but when I booted up this morning, it seems to be only a slight improvement... but an improvement is an improvement and I'll take it.

It feels slower here.

Surprise, surprise :rolleyes:

In general I'd say it doesn't feel much faster but I've always been very happy with Win7's performance. However, I do think Explorer is snappier than it was before. It's performance on my HDD-based PC is now about the same as my SSD-based laptop (i.e. instantaneous) whereas it used to take a second or so to display folders.

More than ridiculous even!!

Yeah, your system probably did one of it's scheduled/automated disk defrags. See why you still need to defrag, although a lot of people say it isn't necessary anymore.

Absolutely no difference here.

I just installed SP1 on my slowest machine, technically speaking, just to see if it felt any "snappier." If there would've been any improvement in that area on this thing, it would've been IMMEDIATELY noticeable. I even purposely defragged immediately after rebooting too. Took 47 minutes from the time I clicked install updates to getting back to the desktop.

Absolutely no difference what so ever! You people who think there is are obviously hallucinating or just want it to be faster so bad, you THINK it is!! :blink:

Edit:

I just did another reboot after typing in above portion of post, to try and determine if that is any different or not also. Again, no difference what so ever!

I'm curious.. to everyone who feels that SP1 update makes it ''snappier'', are you guys running on mechanical drives or SSDs..? Also, to people who don't feel a difference, same question.

I have restricted bandwidth.I know there are only 2 major updates which do not change functionality in a big way,but do the smaller updates bundled in make a difference big enough for me to go about downloading this right away?Or can this update wait a bit longer?

Every time Microsoft releases a major update, somebody posts how much faster Windows is after the update. Unless you've actually measured a difference when comparing a fresh install of Windows 7 to a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1, then it's probably placebo.

Anyone else notice this. I know Microsoft has said SP1 is just a bunch of updates combined, but I couldn't help notice how much snappier everything was. Windows 7 was pretty fast before, but on my MacBook Pro now everything seems to fly :D

Agreed. :yes:

but you know what happend to me after i installed the sp1. my start orb disappeared. i had to run System File Checker tool from here

but now all is well .