(SOLVED)Router lan port not detected ;pc lan card is up and fine ?

Question

coolguy80

Hi,

I have a pppoe dsl broadband connection. have a iball ibaton wired router modem (iB-LR6111A) for 3 years. when I tried to use the modem from yesterday, ADSL led lightens up; but lan port is not detected by PC .

This problem started after a bad weather - with Lightning. I suspected Surges may have done the damage.

My PC is a old one with Asus P5GC-MX/1333 mainboard and Atheros L2 Ethernet lan card. Lan card is getting detected fine and it complains of no networks found even after connecting to router's ethernet port. can ping the card fine. I tried changing MAC address of lan card which also had not helped.

I am confused, that if onboard lan has developed problems. if so, it may not show up in first place. I replaced(warranty) Modem for a brand new piece hoping it may be Modem's problem. but it seems to Me not.

BTW, I used usb port of the modem to connect to broadband and it works fine(under Linux) and that's how am posting here. :)

Is it onboard card that got fried? or is there any firmware kind of for onboard lan card which got corrupted? :o

Thanks in Advance,

Coolguy

7 answers to this question

sc302

sounds like a bad port to me. you have solved your own problem ;)

coolguy80

sounds like a bad port to me. you have solved your own problem ;)

Hmm.. Shall I get a pci lan card first?

sc302

do you have another machine to test with to be able to verify? Maybe a friends laptop that is under warranty (in case it blows that lan card too, or just don't tell them and roll the dice).

coolguy80

No. I don't have any spare computer/laptop here. But I will get one el cheapo pci lan card(~$6) and will report back. thanks for the replies.

+BudMan

so your saying your replaced the router, and still not working? Then yeah that points to a bad nic in pc or cable. Unless the replacement router was DOA?

Why you would of changed the mac I have no idea.

coolguy80

Yes. the onboard lan card was shot by yesterday's lightning, related power surge. So, I bought a new cheap realtek lan card and router ethernet is detected and everything works fine. but confusingly, onboard atheros l2 acts as if the onboard lan is fine. but it was not.

Thanks for the Support.

helpifIcan

Remember there are two parts to the ethernet chip one side connects to the PC the other side connects to the router. The PC can only check and verify the PC side it can not tell if there is a problem on the eternet side except for no connection.