Second Sun for the Earth ?

Reports are circulating that a star could go supernova and produce a second sun for the Earth, at least on a temporary basis.

In one story, Dr. Brad Carter, Senior Lecturer of Physics at the University of Queensland in Australia, noted the scenario in which the star Betelguese in the constellation Orion is losing mass, indicating it's collapsing.

It could run out of fuel and go super-nova.

Astronomers have long said that will happen -- someday, possibly in millions of years.

But while next year has been mentioned, DiscoveryNews reports there is absolutely no indication the star will explode in 2012.

The Internet site says even the most advanced telescopes and computer models are incapable of making such a precise prediction.

Also, at 640 light-years away, it's too far to hurt anyone on Earth.

source

I would take constant daylight for a time, would be an awesome experience. I guess there's already ways to get thet though, like in Summer in Scandinavian countries, Iceland, Alaska etc.

It wouldn't be constant daylight, it would be about as bright as a full moon.

And it is going to happen 'soon' in astronomical timescales, we are unable to predict exactly when an event like this will occur.

Now the question is, How bad will it go supernova? Will it be hypernova? Will it form a blackhole? Because 640 light years is pretty close for a black hole/

anyone up for some Tatooine? :alien:

edit: dibs on Anakin's pod racer! :laugh:

I was expecting another story, as in the idiot newspapers, of doom and destruction. Which won't happen.

If it's 640ly away and is going to happen 'soon', surely it most likely already has, or has not happened. Speed of light etc...

That's what I was thinking unless they have taken that into account, which I would imagine these crazy scientists probably would have done

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and NO!

Betelgeuse is too far away to be "a second sun", and it would most certainly NOT produce 24hr daylight.

I’m glad that both articles are clear that there is no danger from the star if and when it explodes. It’s simply too far away to do us any physical harm; a supernova would have to be within 25 light years or so before it would start to do measurable damage to Earth, and it would have to be much closer before that harm rose to the level of actual danger.

At 600+ light years, a supernova would be pretty bright, but hardly bright enough to be a second Sun, as both article say. Sorry, no Tatooine-like sunsets for us. It wouldn’t even be as bright as the full Moon, really, but certainly far brighter than Venus. Enough to cast a shadow, which would actually be pretty cool.

Emphasis mine.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/01/21/betelgeuse-and-2012/

Posts like this really get my blood boiling.

If it's 640ly away and is going to happen 'soon', surely it most likely already has, or has not happened. Speed of light etc...

Yes already happened, just taking 640+ years for us to see it.

And it is going to happen 'soon' in astronomical timescales, we are unable to predict exactly when an event like this will occur.

I agree but these things are so random one never knows.

So even if it did happen next year we would all be long dead before we would notice here on earth lol.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and NO!

Betelgeuse is too far away to be "a second sun", and it would most certainly NOT produce 24hr daylight.

Emphasis mine.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/01/21/betelgeuse-and-2012/

Posts like this really get my blood boiling.

+1

Science reporting needs a serious overhaul :(

It would be visible, but nothing new. There are written records of a few supernovas which were visible, although the brightest, SN1006 appears to have been 7,200 light years away, and was reported as being 3x the size of Venus.