Second Sun for the Earth ?

640 light-years ?

I wouldn't think that would provide much light ....

That would depend entirely on the size of the star. Let's face it, our Sun is pretty puny when it comes to many of the known stars in the universe.

http://www.kiroastro.com/writings/perspective

The last picture on that page shows Betelgeuse compared to some other stars and our Sun (which if you can't make out the writing there is the size of one pixel in the image).

Predicting such an event with any great accuracy when the star is so far away is unlikely IMO, I have my doubts that this will happen in my lifetime, but I hope it does, it will be the closest supernova we would ever have witnessed, and I imagine it will look absolutely amazing

That would depend entirely on the size of the star. Let's face it, our Sun is pretty puny when it comes to many of the known stars in the universe.

http://www.kiroastro.com/writings/perspective

The last picture on that page shows Betelgeuse compared to some other stars and our Sun (which if you can't make out the writing there is the size of one pixel in the image).

VY Canis Majoris makes BetelGeuse look like a marble

If it's 640ly away and is going to happen 'soon', surely it most likely already has, or has not happened. Speed of light etc...

It could have gone supernova 639 years ago, in that case we wouldn't know about it until next year.

Reports are circulating that a star could go supernova and produce a second sun for the Earth, at least on a temporary basis.

In one story, Dr. Brad Carter, Senior Lecturer of Physics at the University of Queensland in Australia, noted the scenario in which the star Betelguese in the constellation Orion is losing mass, indicating it's collapsing.

It could run out of fuel and go super-nova.

Astronomers have long said that will happen -- someday, possibly in millions of years.

But while next year has been mentioned, DiscoveryNews reports there is absolutely no indication the star will explode in 2012.

The Internet site says even the most advanced telescopes and computer models are incapable of making such a precise prediction.

Also, at 640 light-years away, it's too far to hurt anyone on Earth.

source

Based on the fact that it is 640 light-years away isn't it probable that it has already gone supernova, and that we just haven't seen it yet?

My god, it's full of stars!

Hope someone gets the reference... if you're a true scifi geek, it should be easy.

Based on the fact that it is 640 light-years away isn't it probable that it has already gone supernova, and that we just haven't seen it yet?

Very good point, and very probable. You'd need to take into account that when human eyes first saw an indication of any trouble at Betelgeuse, the trouble already occurred, so the question is, does it take 640 years (Can someone help me with the amount of time it takes for light to hit the earth from something that far away?) for the star to go supernova, and will it take that long to show in the sky as a second sun?

Hope someone gets the reference... if you're a true scifi geek, it should be easy.

Very good point, and very probable. You'd need to take into account that when human eyes first saw an indication of any trouble at Betelgeuse, the trouble already occurred, so the question is, does it take 640 years (Can someone help me with the amount of time it takes for light to hit the earth from something that far away?) for the star to go supernova, and will it take that long to show in the sky as a second sun?

It would take about 640 years ;)

Obviously they can take guesses based on the size of the star, the rate of observed decay, and our understanding of physics and supernovas to make an educated guess as to when we would see it, but since they aren't something we get to observe often, no one is going to pick a day on the calendar yet.

Light years is a measure of distance, not time.

I was just about to say that!

maybe by then Jupiter gonna burnup and become 2nd star ! :/

When our sun reaches red giant phase Jupiter might only burn up and shed it's atmosphere if it's close enough, i doubt it. It's not massive enough nor have enough hydrogen to ignite nuclear fusion, there's still some debate as to whether it is a failed star or not.

For Jupiter to even be a brown dwarf it would have to be at least 4x as massive as it is.

Yes, but it is still eating ... :shifty:

I was just about to say that!

Correct me if I am wrong! I have always understood that light travels at approximately 186 000 miles per second. A light-year is the distance light travels in one year, around 9461 billion kilometres, 5879 billion miles, or 0.3066 parsecs. So it follows that if the star exploded and it is 640 light-years from us, we would only see the result of that in 640 years!

So it follows that if the star exploded and it is 640 light-years from us, we would only see the result of that in 640 years!

Yes, but it could have gone nova, 639 years ago. ;)