Dumb Dad won't let me have XP

Ok here goes.... my dad wont let me have windows xp because he said my computer ent good enough to run it...

1.6ghz processor

556mb ram....

god damn thats a high enough spec to run xp! works perfectly i had it on my computer for over a month before he noticed and there were no imcompatabilities what so ever. BUT he started complaining saying my computer wasnt fast enough and that some of his software would not work with xp....

yet again i popped the cd into the draw and ran the compatablity test to show him....

he did not believe me... :no:

and now im running crappy windows ME because my dad is a dumbass. what can i do to convince him that all the misconceptions that he has heard off of his work chums are false? i really want to use xp because it is so much better and more stabler then crappy ME :(

i even bought my own hard drive and installed xp on it and had a dual boot with ME and me but my dad insisted i take it out because xp would wreck the "guts" of my computer.... sheesh what an idiot....

he thinks he knows it all but he knows nothing... the last time he used my computer was like over a year ago... :angry:

Any suggestions to cure my dads dumbassness?

ahh n00b parents got them 2.

just act like a promoter. tell how great is is and make ur win me unstable( not to difficult with win me...) say it is time for something new something wich is smart . easy-2-use.

make it for ur dad the worse thing to keep win me.

I have a PII 400 MHz with 192 MB of ram, with a 4.3 gig HD (NTFS).

I have Windows XP.

Works well.

Nobody died yet.

No animals were hurt during the installation of XP either.

Dad's dumbassness seems to be incurable whatever cure you might try.

//XP switch ad

//Think Diff?rement

Destroy your ME cd, manual, receipt, then destroy ME itself by oh, say, randomly delete files from the System folder and blame ME for the problems, then he'll have no choice but to install XP :p

i cant put my xp hard drive in cos he goes mad :(

dumb dad....

the programs he wants to use are of microsoft works.... they work fine, of course they would... my dad is so dumb and hes depriving me of the future (lol?) :(

Tell him too get his own computer.

and keep listning to the idiot @ his work, and he should be up for the dumbass of the year award.

Or better yet, get Mom involved maybe she can convince dad.

LMAO your dad put Windows ME on instead of Windows XP, now that is funny!

Windows ME is...

less secure, less stable, less compatible and less intelligent than Windows XP.

Windows XP is the best version of Windows. As with all OS when it first came out there were compatibility issues I agree but these days there is not normally a problem because there are new versions of software out as Windows XP is 2 years old now.

Microsoft's website has some excellent points about Windows XP kicks Windows ME's ass! Search for that and then show him. Also show him the minimum Windows XP specs, you will probably find that Windows XP runs faster on your hardware as it is designed for Windows XP, Windows ME has memory limitations. Infact with your large amount of memory and Windows ME's crap memory management you might find that some things (such as Photoshop) cause the system to become very unstable. Things like this are not issues in Windows XP.

Every time he enters the room change to the Windows classic theme, say it's Windows ME.

i would do but my brothers a rat....

he'd inform my dad right away.... :pinch:

god im sure everybody in my house is against me apart from my mother.... :rolleyes:

Actually the thing that makes me laugh the most is that he thinks that by putting xp on our main hard drive, it will be impossible to remove (why wud u want to anyways) and i proved him wrong by using FDISK and loaded windows me back on....

i think hes really got a problem with xp.... what an ass :(

There's videos on there and stuff like that. You could always fill ME up with spyware and adaware so it crashes more then often saying "that wouldn't happen with XP". Stuff like that.

God my dad is such a n00b :( i might just buy my own computer or even swap the hard drives over when hes not looking... dual boot is out of the question if i cannot find a more discrete way to do it :-\

Windows ME is a pile of heaping dung. The stupid OS will cras even if you aren't doing anything. The last time I used ME I left the desk to get something to eat(with nothing running) and I came back and it said that rundll performed an illegal operation and will be closed. How did anything crash when the computer wasn't doing anything?

For crying out loud, I tax my XP system to the max(I make it wanna cry uncle) and it never crashes. Heck, if ME is so great why won't it support more than 512MB of Ram? I hate to say it, but Windows ME sucks(really I don't hate to say it). It is the worse of Win9x(Win9x is infinatley unstable anyways). I mean, it takes away what little stability Windows 98SE had and it even took away the biggest advantage that Win9x had....the easy access to real mode DOS. Windows ME was just thrown together as quickly as possible as a consumer OS upgrade to go side by side with the corporate users' OS upgrade...Windows 2000 Professional. It was made simply so MS could make more $$$$ and that is it.

Anybody with sense would just do away with Win9x and would migrate to 2000 or XP. People should've migrated to 2000 Pro instead of ME a long time ago. 2000 was just so stable....it was a work horse OS with the ease of use of 9x.

Sure there were a few apps/games that wouldn't work with Win2K. The ones that wouldn't work were sloppily coded trash apps/games. Win2K was and still is purely Win32. Any decent programmer who writes an app for Win32 will write it properly(meaning it will work in any Win32 OS...no matter what the OS is named).

When you let your dad see this thread I just want to point out that his work buddies are blithering idiots(and I want him to see that comment). Those work buddies are probably just your typical AOL users(the ones who don't know any better). "XP will mess up the guts of the computer"?!? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Operating Systems do not damage hardware(I'm assuming they mean the hardware when they say guts). Software in general does not damage hardware unless it is overclocking software...then there is potential for hardware damage. Most people using o/cing software knows what they are doing and understand the possible consenquinces of using that software. The only way an OS can damage hardware is if you manually set stuff wrong...like setting too high of a refresh rate for your monitor for too long(which can be done in any OS, not just one particular OS). That is a user fault, not an OS fault. OSes don't offer ways of upping AGP/CPU/DIMM voltages without the use of 3rd party software so I can't really add that as a potential for damaging hardware with the OS.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Your dad's friends are blithering idiots. They would probably tell him that Linux is a virus or something. I'm not a Linux advocate nor a Linux user(anymore) but I wouldn't hesitate to correct somebody if they said something like that to someone else. :shifty:

Edited by Zombie9920

Instead of trying to fight with him, teach him!! I find it hard to believe he is talking to anyone in the IT field, or anyone that has clue one to what they are talking about when it comes to ME vs XP - more like other lusers.

If it truely is your computer - what does he care what OS you run it. As long as it's legal - and the software that he may need to use (if only computer in the house) works.

Calling your father a Dumbass or Stupid will not get you anywhere - show him the specs needed for XP. And the specs of your machine. If he does not understand what any of it means - explain it to him. But a 1.6ghz with 1/2 gig of ram is MORE than enough to run XP.

With the wrong attitude - your lucky he does not take away the computer!

The use of "mess up the guts" of your computer would lend to the belief that somebody does not have any idea how a computer works. If his buddies at work or telling him that ME is better than XP, etc.. Ask for the details of what fuctionality is better - or exactly how they think that a dual boot setup could mess up the "guts" ;)

To whatever points they attempt to make on why ME is better - explain to them why they are wrong. If you need any specific help on any specific point - bring it to neowin.

Speaking of dual booting... is there not a keypress i could do instead of chosing from a list.... i cud put the xp hard drive on slave... do u think what would work? :confused: