Dumb Dad won't let me have XP

Ok here goes.... my dad wont let me have windows xp because he said my computer ent good enough to run it...

1.6ghz processor

556mb ram....

god damn thats a high enough spec to run xp! works perfectly i had it on my computer for over a month before he noticed and there were no imcompatabilities what so ever. BUT he started complaining saying my computer wasnt fast enough and that some of his software would not work with xp....

yet again i popped the cd into the draw and ran the compatablity test to show him....

he did not believe me...:no:o:

and now im running crappy windows ME because my dad is a dumbass. what can i do to convince him that all the misconceptions that he has heard off of his work chums are false? i really want to use xp because it is so much better and more stabler then crappy M:(:(

i even bought my own hard drive and installed xp on it and had a dual boot with ME and me but my dad insisted i take it out because xp would wreck the "guts" of my computer.... sheesh what an idiot....

he thinks he knows it all but he knows nothing... the last time he used my computer was like over a year ago...:angry:y:

Any suggestions to cure my dads dumbassness?

XP isn't any good anyway, install 2k or linu;);)

xp is better than 2000 in mine and many other people's opinions. :crazy: linux is out of the question; he's not trying to give his dad a heart attack when he can't figure out how to start notepad... "WHERE'S THE GODDAMNED NOTEPAD ICON!??!!" ;)

Why not multi-boot ME/XP ?

That is by far the best suggestion.I would suggest it. I dual boot with Me cause there are programs that XP can't run for some odd reason. And for me atleast Me isn't so bad, just not as good as XPpro. Use Partition Magic8 and Bootmagic, you can always set the boot to Me, even not show the boot to XP and your dad don't need to know.

I have WinXP running on a P2 266 with 320mb of ram and it runs just fine here also (the ram helps a lot, and the video card I put in which I got inexpensive (geforce2)).. especially after I tweak it using services guides, etc. Some people are just kinda against the latest thing, I mean people where saying the same thing about win2k when it was the current NT based windows.

I honestly think that they should have not made ME rather they should have had win2k for everyone back then.

No forget about dual booting.... it is getting you nowhere.

I bet your harddisk is large enough to mirror the Windows ME partition on another partition. Grab Symantec Ghost or PowerQuest DriveImage and make a backup of Windows ME on another partition.

Then just wipe the WinME drive and install XP. Sure your dad will be mad, but just let him use it for a while. Show him that it is a great OS and just much better then WinME.

Show him the things like system restore ("see dad if something goes wrong we will have it back in no time".... oh and don't mention that ME has it too ;) ), the sweet visual styles. Explain him why NTFS is much better then FAT (though keep it simple).

XP boots up really quick, so that is a plus too.

Now let him use his applications on XP... let him experience XP. I bet he will tell you you can keep it this way. If not.... well you can always revert to ME with the backup you made.

I had the same problem with a friend of mine. He doesn't know much about pc's so everytime there was something wrong he called me. I just refused to fix it if he kept Windows ME installed...... so basicly he hadn't much choice.

In the end we decided to use Win2k because of his hardware, but since then I didn't fix his pc, it is still running fine (almost 2 years ago now).

I suggest wiping the hard drive, putting XP back on it, and installing all his programs and making sure they run good. Then the next time he sees XP on it and tells you to take it off, DON'T. Tell him if he's so smart, do it himself. And if his work buddies know so much more, get them to do it, you aren't going back to that ME crap. Of course you have to weigh whether or not getting the crap beat out of you and grounded for life is worth all that XP goodness, it's just an OS for cryin out loud.

Just get a job and build one yourself, that'd probably be easier. Either way.... :cool:

Lol thanks weborbiter....

i am planning on gettin a job and buiding my own... but only one problem... the internet.... my dad wud probably start making me pay for it ! :o lol

(yeh he is that tight :-\) :p

good luck,

why would he make you pay for the internet, just get a hub, or router and share it. you would not be useing any more bandwidth then you already are using.

we all have dumb people in our lives, just ignore it untill you have the money to pay for you own computer and then he can't tell you anything because you paid for it.

if anything, if he trys to get you to pay for the internet. maybe you can make an agrement with him in paying part of it.

everyone is right, install 2k, with a bit of tweaking, it will look exactly like ME. 2k is faster then XP too anyway. if you need help tweaking, ask the experts at neowin for help, i am sure we can all help you

I had this problem with my dad he wanted to keep win 98 lol it went on for month till we went to pc world and i asked this bloke to tell my dad about XP lol and now my whole networked pcs are all running some kind of XP

yeah just keep pounding him with info about how good xp is, and if you can find someone who he trusts with computers and tell that person to tell your dad about xp.

Uh, Can I ask why the hell you are discussing this on neowin, I wouldn't ever think of discussing something as trivial as this on the internet....

What, you're saying he should ask his dad about installing a hidden copy of XP? :pinch:

Uh, Can I ask why the hell you are discussing this on neowin, I wouldn't ever think of discussing something as trivial as this on the internet....

Erm cos thats what neowin is for? and besides who else am i gonna talk to it about? i dunno anybody else that is interested in technology to talk to either.... :yes: