• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Dumb Dad won't let me have XP

John    7

tell your dad that XP is NT 5.1; it's an improved version of what he uses at work. :rofl:

god, some people just don't get it :no:

sphere    0
Uh, Can I ask why the hell you are discussing this on neowin, I wouldn't ever think of discussing something as trivial as this on the internet....

Well he is not you, now is he. I think it's quite fine. It's nothing extremely personal and he is able to get a whole range of suggestions and views on the matter.

DigitalFreedom    0
tell your dad that XP is NT 5.1; it's an improved version of what he uses at work. :rofl:

god, some people just don't get it :no:

so if he uses windows nt 4.1 right, then tell him, (and prove it to him after you install it) that windows xp is really windows nt 5.1, just with a fansy name (which it is, a GOOD fansy name non the less), and that windows 2000 is nt 5.0 but again, with a diffrent name to sound better (marketing) hell, heres a screeny of my computer at momment, with the about windows window open! (with the 5.1 circled)

post-11-1062459190.png

Ecander    0

let him run ME all day long and watch for the classic...out of memory message...all 9x kernel OS had a memory leak...

DigitalFreedom    0
let him run ME all day long and watch for the classic...out of memory message...all 9x kernel OS had a memory leak...

then when you see it happen, laugh at him and say that wouldn't happend on xp (and its true too!)

Instant Mashâ„¢    0

Ive actually borrowed partition magic 8 from my next door neighbour... its installed fine. I was going to create a partition for win xp (the damn disc cost me a bomb and i cant even use it!) Is there anyway i could discretely dual boot, so my computer boots windows me when powered on and boots xp when i hit a key? (that my dad doesent know).

Any help is really apreciated :) i dont quite get the previous posts lol (thats what u get for being a dual booting n00b! :p)

Spike101M69    0
Destroy your ME cd, manual, receipt, then destroy ME itself by oh, say, randomly delete files from the System folder and blame ME for the problems, then he'll have no choice but to install XP :p

:woot: genius!!!!!

nekrosoft13    724

tell your dad to shut up

windows xp is nt 5.1, try to explain that to him

windows 2000 is an improved nt 4.0 and xp is improved win 2000.

windows me is the last of dying 9x windows. no more of that crap will ever be made

edit

and speaking of ms works, tell him to grow up and get ms office

edit

Samoa    0
Ive actually borrowed partition magic 8 from my next door neighbour... its installed fine. I was going to create a partition for win xp (the damn disc cost me a bomb and i cant even use it!) Is there anyway i could discretely dual boot, so my computer boots windows me when powered on and boots xp when i hit a key? (that my dad doesent know).

Any help is really apreciate:):) i dont quite get the previous posts lol (thats what u get for being a dual booting n00b!:p:p)

Simple, with PM8 installed on Me create a partition for XP to be installed on insert the disk but don't run the install program. Use PM8 to set that partition you created active so when it reboots it will be focused on that partition. Upon reboot using ONLY a full version of XP it will allow you to install on the new partition.

If you do not have a full version, ie upgrade only, then you need a full version CD of Me. If Me came installed on your system, you will need to create a full version CD of it. Bart's way can make the copy of the OEM bootable.

Once XP is installed, you will need to intall PM8 on XP as well. You can use only PM8 to boot to either partition by setting the other active and rebooting. To reduce the possiblity of XP booting accidentally install BootMagic. With BM you can set Me as home partition and no one will accidentally boot into XP, unless you forget to disable BM. But even that is easy to prevent by setting the time for one sec. So before anyone has a chance to do anything, Me loads. Except you will know to press the arrow key as soon as you see it.

The boot screen you can't do anything about though.....

Instant Mashâ„¢    0

Thanks... i WILL try this after ive read it 10 times lol :laugh: ta

kombolcha    11

why don't you show him this thread you started? everyone is saying how XP is better :laugh:

Instant Mashâ„¢    0

He's very very stubborn vice king :p

Samoa    0
Thanks... i WILL try this after ive read it 10 times lol:laugh:h: ta

It will take me some time, tomorrow morning to put it step by step.

yzero    0

sheesh.. i thought everyone was past the anti-xp stage.. HEY DAD INSTALL XP EVERY OTHER DESKTOP WINDOWS OS SUCKS.

aaron901    1

get a job and buy yourself a laptop. you can install anything you want.

+Human.Online    8,595

It's your DADs machine, not YOURS. Thing is this: He doesn't have to be fair, he doesn't have to listen, he doesn't have to justify. He has the option to do exactly as he wants.

Go get your own laptop, then you can do the same!

Valkyre    0

I have XP running on a P2 300MHz, 64MB RAM. Your father is an idiot.

aaron901    1

well i think installing xp on a p2 machine with only 64MB of RAM is rather stupid.

Rapier    3

I bout mah PC quite sum time ago

P4 1.5 Ghz 256 MB ram....getting ready to install 256 more :D

Well if u want XP to run faster use NTFS

And If ur dad doesn't like Xp...DOn worry...Wait for a lil while

GET LONGHORN :D

WebOrbiter    0

I bet I know whats going on, Dad probably heard a rumor at work of the fact that the worm thats been going around doesn't effect Win9x PCs, don't know if thats part of it but I can't find any other way to explain his sheer stupidity. :blink:

Wickedkitten    11

seriously though, its his choice to do what he wants with it because its :o his computer. His house, his rules and if you don't like it save up and get your own computer.

geez kids these days, I remember asking my dad if I could install stuff on his computer before I went ahead and did it, and if he didn't like it I took it off, not sat around bitching about it and calling him stupid, whats wrong with you

Daybreak    1

I'd agree with WickedKitten .... its your dad, no matter what, he bought the PC and he CAN call the shots over it. Calling him an idiot and ranting at his foolishness won't get you anywhere, and if your dad sees it ( this thread ), I think all the more reason he's going to ignore you.

Try to reason with him / convince him, and don't act as if you're in the know and he's a newbie to computers, I think persuasion will get you much further than acting as if everyone in the house is against you :p

And, really, is there AN absolutely pressing need for Windows XP? Anything that you absolutely CAN only do under XP and not ME? If not, why not simply bare with it until you can cough up the cash to buy a new PC?

forster    23

Obey your dad - go to your room with no dinner !

:whistle:

Evizu    0
well i think installing xp on a p2 machine with only 64MB of RAM is rather stupid.

why is it stupid, i put xp pro onto a 800 MHz machine with 128 MB Ram, although i have turned all the fisher price GUI off, it still runs perfect....

justify your comments, i hate it when people says thats stupid because they think so....

</rant> ;)

and give your dad some slack, im sure he would be willing to listen if you talk to him like an equal...

Stonkwell Bogtrotter    124

I have XP on my AMD K6-2 500 with 512mb SD ram and it works wonders :)

Excellant OS is XP :D

Go up to your Dad and say to him quietly..... "all you files are corrupt, cus me has just crashed" :woot:

That'll make him stand up :devil: