• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Dumb Dad won't let me have XP

SweetRiverBaynes    7
seriously though, its his choice to do what he wants with it because its :o his computer. His house, his rules and if you don't like it save up and get your own computer.

geez kids these days, I remember asking my dad if I could install stuff on his computer before I went ahead and did it, and if he didn't like it I took it off, not sat around bitching about it and calling him stupid, whats wrong with you

No freaking joke.

Instead of calling him stupid or a dumb ass maybe try talking to him and if he says no then relize that no means no. Its his computer not yours.

ah what is wrong with the youth of today.

you guys MUST be parents, or someone that really understands them :alien:

As a matter of fact I am. I am 20 years old and have a 2 year old son.

I have been living on my own since I was 15 so I learned very quickly that not one person in this world owes me anything and to respect other peoples property and there opinions.

Also one of the most important lesson I have learned is not to look down on people because they lack knowledge in a subject matter, because they probably know 10x more on a different subject then I do.

The whole point is this kid is upset because his dad told him no and we are all encouraging the fit that he was throwing. If for say it was one of our computers and he wanted to install something and you told him no (for whatever reason it might be) wouldn't you want him to respect that?

If I'm not mistaken, YOU are still considered youth.

I am just shocked that there is a person with a child that is yonger than me! Especially at 20!

And Instant Mash said he was in college. So don't call him "little" kid. As I don't find him very little.

KC    0

yeah I know I am still a youth but might as well not be because I don't get to do any youthfull things.

hav0c    0

Just install XP and see what happens.

Jason the Eighty Eighth    0

make a new thread, like this one, except you don't call your dad a "dumb-arse" (:D) and let us post saying you should be fine with your processor running XP. well hey, you got 9 pages here, perhaps if there were a few hundred posts all agreeing with you surely your dad will agree?

by the way, at work using this crappy PIII 500mhz with 128Mb RAM, using XP Professional with absolutely no problems. everything runs smoothly and i can't see any problems.

cbosdell    4

i have the same problem as you do with my dad. hes so dumb. he thinks win 98 se is the best and says he'll never upgrade as he'll never need to and will be using 98 se 15 yrs from now. its gonna take SO much to get him to let me buy xp pro with my OWN money. i mean all he does on this comp is play neopets, seriously and he thinks xp pro is gonna ruin this comp and slow it down cause his one at work is xp home with 128 mb ram and its slow lol. this one here will have 528 mb ram and Anthlon XP 1800+ and he still thinks itll be so slow and he thinks xp pro looks ugly. BLAH!

Malechai    116
sometimes that kind of punishment doesnt work.

i'm 16... 2 months away from being 17... my parents can't do **** to me b/c they know it wont work.  I would LOVE to see my dad try to take away my computer.  I'd just permanantly lock him out of his (its my pc anyways, i paid for every single component, i can do what i damn well please with it), and my mom out of hers (90% of that pc came from parts that i bought).  Don't get me wrong, i love my parents, they're great, they do everything for me, but seriously... they cant punish me.

personally, i dont think punishment ever works, as it just gets the kid angry with you and he/she is gonna do it over and over again till you get the point that he/she isn't affected by what you say.  I just argue to the point where they give up.

oh and i have free riegn over all computers in my house, as i either:

a) built them or

b) repair/constantly fix them

If i were you i'd just ignore your dad and do it anyways.

wow.. you're lucky you didn't have my dad for a father then because you'd be owned tough guy. you bet he'd take your pc away. you do anything to his stuff and your pc would be in the garbage. you do it over and over again? you're out.

you sound like a brat who has parents who don't have any balls

loc[a]lhost    2

lol :laugh:

all that reminds me of the times XP just went RTM, and i used it since 20.8.2001 i think! :D

and every little problem that the computer had she blamed XP, and f*cked up my mind :p

and she is a programmer!

Samoa    0

i'm 16... 2 months away from being 17... my parents can't do **** to me b/c they know it wont work.? I would LOVE to see my dad try to take away my computer.? I'd just permanantly lock him out of his (its my pc anyways, i paid for every single component, i can do what i damn well please with it), and my mom out of hers (90% of that pc came from parts that i bought).? Don't get me wrong, i love my parents, they're great, they do everything for me, but seriously... they cant punish me.

personally, i dont think punishment ever works, as it just gets the kid angry with you and he/she is gonna do it over and over again till you get the point that he/she isn't affected by what you say.? I just argue to the point where they give up.

? ? ? a) built them or

? ? ? b) repair/constantly fix them

wow.. you're lucky you didn't have my dad for a father then because you'd be owned tough guy. you bet he'd take your pc away. you do anything to his stuff and your pc would be in the garbage. you do it over and over again? you're out.

you sound like a brat who has parents who don't have any balls

Is that your so:pSpyder? :p

Wickedkitten    11

i'm 16... 2 months away from being 17... my parents can't do **** to me b/c they know it wont work. I would LOVE to see my dad try to take away my computer. I'd just permanantly lock him out of his (its my pc anyways, i paid for every single component, i can do what i damn well please with it), and my mom out of hers (90% of that pc came from parts that i bought). Don't get me wrong, i love my parents, they're great, they do everything for me, but seriously... they cant punish me.

personally, i dont think punishment ever works, as it just gets the kid angry with you and he/she is gonna do it over and over again till you get the point that he/she isn't affected by what you say. I just argue to the point where they give up.

a) built them or

NeoMayhem: My dad isnt that bad... he knows quite a bit, he actually advised me on which parts would be best to build my first computer (along with some websites).. But my mom is completely stupid on computers. To her, being 'online' is being in an internet browser, not the always-on broadband we have.

well he could always kick you out of the house, it would be really funny walking around homeless with 3 computers

idbuythatforadollar    0
Install something that crashes ME but not XP. Tell him you have to upgrade to XP to fix it ;)

wow, that certainly narrows down the software choices... ;)

idbuythatforadollar    0
i have the same problem as you do with my dad. hes so dumb. he thinks win 98 se is the best and says he'll never upgrade as he'll never need to and will be using 98 se 15 yrs from now. its gonna take SO much to get him to let me buy xp pro with my OWN money. i mean all he does on this comp is play neopets, seriously and he thinks xp pro is gonna ruin this comp and slow it down cause his one at work is xp home with 128 mb ram and its slow lol. this one here will have 528 mb ram and Anthlon XP 1800+ and he still thinks itll be so slow and he thinks xp pro looks ugly. BLAH!

haha your dad plays neopets?

i normally slap my sister around a little when i catch her wasting my precious bandwidth with such mind numbing rubbish!

Gary_Player    0

Celeron 466 w 192 meg of ram...runs quite well after I got rid of all the extra crap :laugh:

My parents have an athalon 750 w 448 meg of ram n it runs beautiuflly for them

giantsnyy2002    0

i'm 16... 2 months away from being 17... my parents can't do **** to me b/c they know it wont work.  I would LOVE to see my dad try to take away my computer.  I'd just permanantly lock him out of his (its my pc anyways, i paid for every single component, i can do what i damn well please with it), and my mom out of hers (90% of that pc came from parts that i bought).  Don't get me wrong, i love my parents, they're great, they do everything for me, but seriously... they cant punish me.

personally, i dont think punishment ever works, as it just gets the kid angry with you and he/she is gonna do it over and over again till you get the point that he/she isn't affected by what you say.  I just argue to the point where they give up.

a) built them or

NeoMayhem: My dad isnt that bad... he knows quite a bit, he actually advised me on which parts would be best to build my first computer (along with some websites)..  But my mom is completely stupid on computers.  To her, being 'online' is being in an internet browser, not the always-on broadband we have.

well he could always kick you out of the house, it would be really funny walking around homeless with 3 computers

my dad would never kick me out of the house... and his pc's mine anyways, i paid for it, he didn't. I can do what i want to it.

lol and theres more than 3... about 6 maybe.

KingChris    0

Last issue I had with my folks was when I upgraded the Home PC from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95.

My Mum would not have it, took months before she had some software that would not run on 3.1

Shes fine with computers now and has no problems adapting.

I can't see that a Windows XP is worth all this hassle, its just an operating system.

Samoa    0

i normally slap my sister around a little when i catch her wasting my precious bandwidth with such mind numbing rubbish!

Sounds like she needs a boyfriend to kick your ass. :yes:

slapnuts_ox    0

RUN LINUX I SAY.......then break the 98 cd and say the only other cd you have is XP so he is forced between linux and XP.....i think he will pick XP

John    7

i'm 16... 2 months away from being 17... my parents can't do **** to me b/c they know it wont work.? I would LOVE to see my dad try to take away my computer.? I'd just permanantly lock him out of his (its my pc anyways, i paid for every single component, i can do what i damn well please with it), and my mom out of hers (90% of that pc came from parts that i bought).? Don't get me wrong, i love my parents, they're great, they do everything for me, but seriously... they cant punish me.

personally, i dont think punishment ever works, as it just gets the kid angry with you and he/she is gonna do it over and over again till you get the point that he/she isn't affected by what you say.? I just argue to the point where they give up.

? ? ? a) built them or

? ? ? b) repair/constantly fix them

NeoMayhem: My dad isnt that bad... he knows quite a bit, he actually advised me on which parts would be best to build my first computer (along with some websites)..? But my mom is completely stupid on computers.? To her, being 'online' is being in an internet browser, not the always-on broadband we have.

my dad would never kick me out of the house... and his pc's mine anyways, i paid for it, he didn't. I can do what i want to it.

lol and theres more than 3... about 6 maybe. [/qu:woot:r /> :woot: cool, 6 computers all (Y)yourself (Y) now go find a job and get your own damn house/ca:hmmm:ation :hmmm:

that's what i'd say if i w:ninja: dad :ninja:

hav0c    0
wow, that certainly narrows down the software choices... ;)

lmao :laugh:

RauL    0

go postal

and then publish the pics on rotten.com

that could solve the family issue :devil:

Nuphor    0

I'm sorry but it needs to be said:

thisthreadis.jpg

cbosdell    4

lol yea but he paid for this comp although i am paying $500 for a bunch of upgrades since he says a comp can last a least 5 yrs no upgrades. i even had to pay to get a cdwriter installed. :rolleyes:

b0se    0
Ok here goes.... my dad wont let me have windows xp because he said my computer ent good enough to run it...

1.6ghz processor

556mb ram....

god damn thats a high enough spec to run xp! works perfectly i had it on my computer for over a month before he noticed and there were no imcompatabilities what so ever. BUT he started complaining saying my computer wasnt fast enough and that some of his software would not work with xp....

yet again i popped the cd into the draw and ran the compatablity test to show him....

he did not believe me...:no:o:

and now im running crappy windows ME because my dad is a dumbass. what can i do to convince him that all the misconceptions that he has heard off of his work chums are false? i really want to use xp because it is so much better and more stabler then crappy M:(:(

i even bought my own hard drive and installed xp on it and had a dual boot with ME and me but my dad insisted i take it out because xp would wreck the "guts" of my computer.... sheesh what an idiot....

he thinks he knows it all but he knows nothing... the last time he used my computer was like over a year ago...:angry:y:

Any suggestions to cure my dads dumbassness?

Looooooool you poor git, sounds frustrating, (no offence) but he obviously knows nothing...

'Death by Win ME" - classi:):)

unspec    0
why is it stupid, i put xp pro onto a 800 MHz machine with 128 MB Ram, although i have turned all the fisher price GUI off, it still runs perfect....

justify your comments, i hate it when people says thats stupid because they think so....

</rant> ;)

and give your dad some slack, im sure he would be willing to listen if you talk to him like an equal...

HIM: well i think [scenario a] is rather stupid.

YOU: why is it stupid, [scenario b], it still runs perfect....

And you ask him to justify his comments?

Why is cutting your foot off with an axe stupid? I trimmed my toenails with some small nail scissors, and that turned out ok.

rant

\Rant\, n. High-sounding language, without importance or dignity of thought; boisterous, empty declamation; bombast; as, the rant of fanatics.

Nuphor    0
I'm sorry but it needs to be said:

http://www.nuphor.com/images/thisthreadis.jpg

:no: Just you... :p

:(

Seriously though, just put XP on the computer and head over to a friends and stay there for a bit. You'll come back and everything'll be totally groovy.