TUF 13: Lesnar vs Dos Santos

This season is shaping up to be great. I remember saying in another thread that Lesnar would be all "USE YOUR VIKING MIGHT AND SIZE!" on guys from lower weight classes. They are training WW... curious to see if I end up being right :D

All kidding aside, Lesnar did create his own training camp out of scratch (and also lots of scratch) so he will do a nice job. Dos Santos as well. Neither will be worse coaches than Rampage (with Koscheck coming in a close second) because that's near impossible.

Please let TUF 14 be Bisping vs Sonnen :woot:

The full cast has been announced:

Clay Harvison (6-1)

Keon Caldwell (8-1)

Ryan McGillivray (11-4-1)

Anthony Ferguson (10-2)

Michael Bowman (7-2)

Nordin Asrih (16-5-1)

Zachary Davis (4-1)

Shamar Bailey (10-3)

Charlie Rader (16-5)

Len Bentley (9-4)

Javier Torres (3-0)

Chris Cope (4-1)

Ramsey Nijem (4-1)

Myles Jury (9-0)

No obvious ringers besides perhaps Myles Jury who has 9 wins by stoppage (4 by KO and 5 by Submission) in KOTC.

• 3 weeks later...

So it has begun. Let's start with the fact that they don't have to fight to get into the house. One less stressful event to overcome. Brock is HUGE. He does his picking strategy just by asking dumb questions and looking at pure cardio numbers. Great... wonder how is that going to bite him in the ass :rolleyes:

So here are the teams:

Team Lesnar

Len Bentley

Charlie Rader

Myles Jury

Clay Harvison

Anthony Ferguson

Chris Cope

Nordin Asrih

Team dos Santos

Shamar Bailey

Ryan McGillivray

Ramsey Nijem

Javier Torres

Zachary Davis

Michael Bowman

Keon Caldwell

Lesnar, being an idiot, decides to pick the first fighter. Big mistake. Because you use that to chose your "homeboy" and the other team uses first fight privilege to pick your team apart. Queue obvious foreshadowing. Dos Santos picks up both of the guys he had his eyes on Shamar Bailey and Ryan McGillivray. Guess what the first fight is? Shamar Bailey vs Lesnar's last pick Nordin Asrih. Surprise :rolleyes: Also Myles Jury is absolutely retarded. There is no way he could have that much damage on his knee just from that little tweak in the tryouts. He must have come onto the show injured and neglected to tell anyone as to not screw up his chances to end up in the UFC. Can you really blame him? Nick Ring did almost the same on the last season and with Miles having a 9-0 record (Ring was 10-0) if he plays his cards right with DW he may get his shot on the Finale.

The first fight was boring as hell so I won't even bother doing any comment about it. Shamar wins, as expected, by Lay-and-Pray. Seriously, boring as hell. He mounted twice, got the back twice and didn't do ANYTHING. And Brock screaming to Asrih to roll for a kneebar on the ground where he ended up from a ridiculous attempt at a kick was hilarious.

Bad start for this season. I hope it picks up (or that they at least edit it in that way).

very boring first episode I thought, I have to agree about Myles...he has a good record as well I see him coming back soon

very boring first episode I thought, I have to agree about Myles...he has a good record as well I see him coming back soon

Take into consideration that he mostly fights cans in KOTC :whistle:

He won't come on the show but he has a chance to fight in the Finale. If he wins, he will probably fight again in the UFC.

Last night's episode was a bit better fight wise, still waiting for Brock to let loose and drop the calm and collected act he has going on

Last night's episode was a bit better fight wise, still waiting for Brock to let loose and drop the calm and collected act he has going on

It wasn't worse than the last fight... but I think it was almost as bad. What a hugfest. They must have thrown less than 10 total punches for the whole fight and just hugged it out at the fence. Their backs must have been pretty grated.

And they are surprised why the ratings have been bad? Boring fights, no "drama" (not even artificial) between the coaches or the fighters. And what was that about Keon Caldwell? Is he full on retarded? "Oh I miss my family. Forget about getting into the UFC, the only chance I've got of making real money by fighting." And there wasn't even any special reason, he just missed his daughter. Way to let a chance of a lifetime go to waste.

This season keeps on sucking badly. Please let TUF 14 be Sonnen vs Bisping.

It wasn't worse than the last fight... but I think it was almost as bad. What a hugfest. They must have thrown less than 10 total punches for the whole fight and just hugged it out at the fence. Their backs must have been pretty grated.

And they are surprised why the ratings have been bad? Boring fights, no "drama" (not even artificial) between the coaches or the fighters. And what was that about Keon Caldwell? Is he full on retarded? "Oh I miss my family. Forget about getting into the UFC, the only chance I've got of making real money by fighting." And there wasn't even any special reason, he just missed his daughter. Way to let a chance of a lifetime go to waste.

This season keeps on sucking badly. Please let TUF 14 be Sonnen vs Bisping.

The Mexican kid insisted on hugging, yes, but the other one at least made attempts to break it and keep it going, IMO much better than the first one

The Mexican kid insisted on hugging, yes, but the other one at least made attempts to break it and keep it going, IMO much better than the first one

Better but still overall bad :(

Good fight but terrible show wow is the boring. :sleep:

Yes. Not even sneaky editing can save this snooze fest. The talent is pretty weak, JDS is a extremely nice guy and surprisingly Brock is a very nice guy aswell. The coach tidbit from the last episode was resolved reasonably and amicably like real human beings. It's a great thing to see but doesn't make for compelling reality TV.

As for the fight, it was pretty nice. Len seemed to think that the best defense for a punch was his beard instead of, you know, keeping your hands up. He ate a ton of shots during that fight.

This is one disappointing season... bring on TUF 14.

Wow... another snooze fest. Everything in this season is bland and boring. The fight was boring as hell with the first round being some alternative sport of "fence hugging" or something. And the finish was pretty ridiculous, the other guy imediately tapped without any pressure. Didn't even try to defend. I hope none of these guys get picked up by the UFC after the show.

• 2 weeks later...

This season is laughably bad. The fighters are utter crap. Mick Bowman says his gameplan was to punch, lots of leg kicks and then go for the takedown. Spends the fight getting punched, not throwin any significant punches and doesn't know how to do a takedown (easily stuffed). How can you hope to win a fight by decision (there was no way he could have thought that he could KO or submit anyone) by backing up constantly and not punching? Also these are 170lb fighters and they are gassing badly after just 1 round with little to no ground work. WTH? Laughed my ass off when they said "Get ready for a 3rd". Really? How? They were totally gassed out and Mick didn't do anything the whole fight. And surprise. Mick is out and Clay is also out. Ouch! The wildcard is going to suck sooooooooooooooo bad.

The fights just keep getting worse and worse... I say it again: I hope none of these guys get picked up by the UFC.

Well, 2 fight episode. JDS continues his "drama" with coach Lee. Lee gets sent home, who cares? The guys that were hinted as out end up being ok. No permanent damage.This episode finally had some good fights.

Tony Ferguson vs Justin Edwards: Justin really looks like Couture but fought like Carwin. Great striking exchanges for both fighters in the beginning but after the first minute, Edwards was clearly running out of steam. Good takedowns. And an upkick for the victory. Perfectly legal since Justin wasn't considered a downed opponent (clearly). Bam! Lights out. It was kind of naive of him to just stand there above a guy that was constantly throwin upkicks without controlling his legs. I'm sure it's a lesson learned for him.

Chuck O'Neil vs Zach Davis: Zach comes out and goes for the takedown imediately. Good grappling exchanges and some near-submissions from the get go. Zach showed some nice submission skills but still needs improvement. A nice win.

And for the wildcard, well: Edwards gets picked by both coaches but can't fight since he was KO'ed by a blow to head and has a 90 days medical suspension. So the wildcard ends up being Javier Torres vs Chuck O'Neil. Sucks for Le but he brought it upon himself by mouthing off to Lesnar and they can't overlook his knee issue. And in the sneak peak, it seems to be a pattern now that the coaches challenge is something that one of the coaches doesn't know at all. Last season was GSP playing baseball, this one is JDS playing American Football against Brock, a guy who left the WWE to play... well, American Football. Stacking the deck much Dana?

Why did the guy get a 90 day suspension? Just for in case he had head injury?

Yep. 90 day medical suspension handed out by the athletic comission because of the KO. It's pretty standard stuff. He will probably fight in the finale.

JDS ended up winning the coache's challenge. And keeping true to his friendly demeanor, he split the money with Team Lesnar's fighters. :cool: Totally ignoring the Len "drama" because it is of no interest at all.

And here's the wildcard:

Chuck O'Neil vs. Javier Torres - Starts with some nice striking exchanges and devolves into a hugfest. Luckily a blow to the nuts interrupts it and we are back to the striking. Chuck throws some nice kicks (and some unnecessary ones). 1st round ends, could have gone either way in the score cards. Beginning of the 2nd, Javier gets a takedown into side control and doesn't capitalize on it. Chuck gets up and returns the takedown, get on top in half-guard. He keeps trying for a kimura but never gets anywhere with it (should've switched to an americana). After a couple of sweep attemps, Javier gets up but gets caught in a D'arce for the tap.

Chuck wins and showed a nice skillset. Maybe he'll go somewhere.

Both teams have 4 fighters moving up on the competition. Pretty balanced season (no 7-1 sweeps eh Rampage?).

Quarter finals:

Shamar Bailey vs Chris Cope

Ryan McGillivray vs Tony Ferguson

Clay Harvison vs Ramsey Nijem

Zach Davis vs Chuck O'Neil

Brock Lesnar is out of the UFC 131 fight. This season just became as irrelevant (even more) than TUF 12 Liddell vs. Ortiz.