• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Need advices in choosing a WP7 device

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

XIII    27

Hi guys,

I've finally decided to give WP7 a try so I would like your advices to help with my next purchase. Right now, I am leaning toward the 3 following phones and it's really hard to pick out one since all 3 are quite appealing . If you could enlighten me the pro and cons of each. I would really appreciate it:

1) Samsung Omnia 7: I love the design. I think it is the best looking WP7 released to date yet. However, I have to import it and it might be quite expensive. Besides, its internal memory is not upgradeable (soldered into the motherboard) so 8GB might be a bummer later on. Pros: sexy design and S-AMOLED screen.

2) Samsung Focus: Well, I like everything about the Samsung Focus (including the S-AMOLED screen and expandable SD card slot), except the ugly design. Come on, the chrome is just hideous and the curved body is just plain ugly. Why changing the Samsung Omnia 7 so much ? AT&T you fail.

3) HTC Surround: I love the external speaker because I might be able to use it as a portable boombox. Also, the design is quite sexy as well. It is also more widely available in the US so I might get it for cheap.

I kinda lean toward the Samsung phones because from all the reviews I have read, the camera quality and the screen quality is unbeatable. But I totally hate the Focus design. For the Omnia, I hate to pay premium price to get it imported and not being able to use 3G in US, not to mention that the internal memory is not upgradeable as well. Really hard to make a decision. I think I can live with the HTC Surround if I finally decide the limitations of the Omnia outweigh the pros.

What's your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for your inputs. :)

Futurix    1

Omnia 7 all the way! It is brilliant - good build, bright screen, fast, etc.

neo158    281

I think the Samsung Focus is probably the best because of the microSD card slot, you have to remember though that the microSD card needs to be a WP7 certified one otherwise you'll get random reboots and slowdown.

Also you need to be aware that once you put a microSD card into the phone it can't be used on any other device.

XIII    27

I think the Samsung Focus is probably the best because of the microSD card slot, you have to remember though that the microSD card needs to be a WP7 certified one otherwise you'll get random reboots and slowdown.

Also you need to be aware that once you put a microSD card into the phone it can't be used on any other device.

Really :| ? I have a Class 2 16GB Sandisk from my HD2, would that work ? In the case I want to recover the SD card to use in other devices, how do I format it ?

I kinda lean toward the Focus as well because it is so popular in US, hence easier to get. However, I don't like the Focus design so much. I am more in love with the Omnia 7 design and I think it is one of the sexiest phones I have seen so far. Do you usually pick a phone because of the design or because of the features ? That's my dilemma at the moment...

Gaffney    144

I have an Omnia 7 and I like it a lot. I like WP7 and this phone is also a good model. It looks nice, feels solid, it's comfy and not to heavy. Only thing stopping you from what I can see is if you want a SD card.

I'm not sure when new WP7 phones will be released, what could maybe come is the Samsung Galaxy 7 perhaps ? Because the Galaxy name is now basically a brand. New phones might not come until the Mango update/near Christmas.

You know you can get 16Gb Omnia 7's ? I won't even use near 8GB anyway, I don't clog up my phone with GB's of music I don't listen to. Recording video's might take up a lot of space but on zune you can sync your recorded video's to your pc so you have a backup.

XIII    27

I have an Omnia 7 and I like it a lot. I like WP7 and this phone is also a good model. It looks nice, feels solid, it's comfy and not to heavy. Only thing stopping you from what I can see is if you want a SD card.

I'm not sure when new WP7 phones will be released, what could maybe come is the Samsung Galaxy 7 perhaps ? Because the Galaxy name is now basically a brand. New phones might not come until the Mango update/near Christmas.

You know you can get 16Gb Omnia 7's ? I won't even use near 8GB anyway, I don't clog up my phone with GB's of music I don't listen to. Recording video's might take up a lot of space but on zune you can sync your recorded video's to your pc so you have a backup.

I see, thanks for the advices. I guess somehow it is true. I typically only listen to around 5% of my musics on my Zune anyway. Now I only need to look for vendors that import the Omnia for cheap. What do you think of the Dell Venue Pro ? I think it is pretty good as well.

In the mean time, keep the comments coming guys. I hope this will help other buyers to decide also :).

lalalawawawa    59

I haven't tried the above-posted phones, but I use Optimus 7 right now. Its beautiful! :wub: Dunno what else to say, sorry. :laugh:

Osiris    823

Omnia 7

/end thread.

BGM    101

I went for the LG Optimus 7 over the Samsung Omnia 7..

• Like 2

~Johnny    397

I'd also say go for the Optimus 7 - but again that's not available in America and it probably won't have working 3G for you either. But it does have 16GB of memory, look amazing, and thankfully NOT have capacitive buttons.

I'd say just roll with the Focus.

neo158    281

Really :| ? I have a Class 2 16GB Sandisk from my HD2, would that work ? In the case I want to recover the SD card to use in other devices, how do I format it ?

I kinda lean toward the Focus as well because it is so popular in US, hence easier to get. However, I don't like the Focus design so much. I am more in love with the Omnia 7 design and I think it is one of the sexiest phones I have seen so far. Do you usually pick a phone because of the design or because of the features ? That's my dilemma at the moment...

This is the thing, no-one except Microsoft knows what certified cards are, you could try that card and see if it works though.

Recovering the card for use in other devices isn't easy, although there are reports that others have managed to reformat them using a Nokia handset.

The reason for the card being unusable in other devices is one of the security features of SD cards that Microsoft implemented to prevent access to the data should the phone get stolen.

XIII    27

Thanks for the comments guys, it really helps. I tried to find where to import an Omnia 7 for cheap but no luck yet... Is there anybody here who knows ?

Calum    820

I've tried the Samsung Omnia 7 and it felt awful compared to my HTC Mozart (another Windows Phone 7). It certainly seemed slower. It may be best to wait and see what Nokia cook up.

XIII    27

But I think it won't be out until 2012 :p. Kinda want to try out WP7 since I browsed the WP7 apps store the other day and it finally seems to have all the apps I need...

Woelfel    135

I voted the Omnia 7 just because it's design is just too awesome but as a Focus owner, that's the next best bet. Especially for the money and such, you might as well go for the Focus.

XIII    27

I was so set to go with the Focus until I realized how beautiful the Omnia 7 is. The Focus just looks cheap in comparison IMHO...

guru    322

HTC Trophy. the camera sucks in mozart

jakem1    1,610

I wouldn't even consider a phone that wasn't capable of 3G. The Omnia 7 is a beautiful phone but looks aren't everything so I would go with the Focus. The ability to add SD cards is another plus for the Focus IMO and it's a shame that the Omnia 7 doesn't include that feature.

Digitalx    17

the devices worth getting if any are htc hd7, trophy, dell venue pro or samsung omnia 7 pretty much.

XIII    27

Guys, I need your advices. My friend is looking to changing his phone so he offers me to buy his HTC Surround for a very discounted price. Would it be worth it ? I kinda notice in the poll that nobody pick the surround, why's that ? Is there anything I should know before buying the Surround ?

BajiRav    2,137

Guys, I need your advices. My friend is looking to changing his phone so he offers me to buy his HTC Surround for a very discounted price. Would it be worth it ? I kinda notice in the poll that nobody pick the surround, why's that ? Is there anything I should know before buying the Surround ?

It's somewhat thick, has a really average screen(compared to focus it's kind of bad actually) and the slide out speaker is useless.

Prince Charming    163

I wouldn't even consider a phone that wasn't capable of 3G. The Omnia 7 is a beautiful phone but looks aren't everything so I would go with the Focus. The ability to add SD cards is another plus for the Focus IMO and it's a shame that the Omnia 7 doesn't include that feature.

Eh? Every WP7 is capable of 3G. In fact, pretty much everything made in the last five years is capable of 3G...?

jakem1    1,610

Eh? Every WP7 is capable of 3G. In fact, pretty much everything made in the last five years is capable of 3G...?

The Omnia 7 doesn't support US 3G frequencies so it would be limited to EDGE. That's why I recommended the Focus instead as it's the US equivalent of the Omnia 7.

~Johnny    397

It's basically an HTC Trophy (the cheapest WP7 device out there), but with a bulky, rather pointless speaker attached to the back. It's okay, nothing special.

daniel_rh    68

Focus or the Omnia, I have a Focus. I haven't tried the HTC or LG devices so I can't tell anything about them