Need advices in choosing a WP7 device

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which phone would you prefer ?

• Samsung Omnia 7
    • Samsung Focus
    • HTC Surround

I've tried the Samsung Omnia 7 and it felt awful compared to my HTC Mozart (another Windows Phone 7). It certainly seemed slower. It may be best to wait and see what Nokia cook up.

Yeah, the HTC Trophy is also similar. I prefer the HTC range as they feel less... bricky

Is the Surround screen that bad or is the Focus screen simply that good ? How is the sound quality on the Focus by the way ? I mainly picked the Surround because of the sound quality and I am a big music listener. If sound on the Focus is not too bad I might reconsider my decisions.

Is the Surround screen that bad or is the Focus screen simply that good ? How is the sound quality on the Focus by the way ? I mainly picked the Surround because of the sound quality and I am a big music listener. If sound on the Focus is not too bad I might reconsider my decisions.

I haven't tried surround speakers as such (a friend uses one) but my focus' speakers are as good as iPhone 3g (although mono I think). I am sure reviews on surround will have some comments on sound quality.

HD7 best

I agree, although I own one so maybe I'm biased... and drunk. The HD7 might have the biggest screen at 4.3", of any WP7 device but it's only LCD. Spec is in my sig...

I saw this on youtube and my jaws just dropped:

The Focus AMOLED display is simply amazing. I guess I will go with a Focus then.

You need to be aware though that the Focus screen won't be readable in bright sunlight as it's Super AMOLED. It's well known that AMOLED screens have **** poor readability in bright sunlight.

This is the problem though, the Focus is the only one of those three that has expandable, and that's very loosely used, storage.

Please bear in mind I'm a drunk British guy, who owns an HTC Desire, typing this....

Guys, I need your advices. My friend is looking to changing his phone so he offers me to buy his HTC Surround for a very discounted price. Would it be worth it ? I kinda notice in the poll that nobody pick the surround, why's that ? Is there anything I should know before buying the Surround ?

Sure. Not many people vote for the Surround because it uses SLCD which is pale in comparison to AMOLED in Focus and Omnia 7, but its a fine product and I would recommend that you get it if for a discount.

Sure. Not many people vote for the Surround because it uses SLCD which is pale in comparison to AMOLED in Focus and Omnia 7, but its a fine product and I would recommend that you get it if for a discount.

I hesitated to buy so he already sold it locally. I guess I have to find a Focus now :(.

You need to be aware though that the Focus screen won't be readable in bright sunlight as it's Super AMOLED. It's well known that AMOLED screens have **** poor readability in bright sunlight.

This is the problem though, the Focus is the only one of those three that has expandable, and that's very loosely used, storage.

Please bear in mind I'm a drunk British guy, who owns an HTC Desire, typing this....

I have an HD2 and in many ways, the display is very similar to the one found in the Surround. It is not very readable in sunlight also...

Focus is as readable as the best LCD's in bright sunlight - Super AMOLED screens are easier to read in direct sunlight than regular AMOLEDS. Although saying that, never since owning any smart phone with any screen, AMOLED or otherwise, have I ever come across a time where I could not read it in sunlight, ever.

Note about the Focus' screen, though the contrast is remarkably good, it's not a very clear screen. Text and colours aren't solid as they are on other phones, and smaller text sizes are far less clear and harder to read. And you're practically sacrificing the ability to use the light theme - for what it's worth, having direct access to practically all WP7 devices in the UK right now (Omnia having the same screen as the Focus), I'd much rather go with the smaller, sharper, clearer and less evident colour-banding screens of any of the HTC Trpohy / Surround, the HTC Mozart and the LG Optimus 7 than the Omnia's screen.

That, and I don't particularly like the feel of the phone either. Coming from my HD2 which was a very well built, solid phone - the Omnia 7 (and Focus) and very light, hollow, cheap feeling phones in comparison. But to be honest there's not a lot of choice, there's not really any WP7 device that screams "buy me" above the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my Focus today. Loving it :D. Glad I went with the Focus because the screen is just plain amazing when compared against my HD2. It is pretty responsive too because of the NAND flash. I put in my 16GB Sandisk class 2 and I am a happy camper now :)

I've tried the Samsung Omnia 7 and it felt awful compared to my HTC Mozart (another Windows Phone 7). It certainly seemed slower. It may be best to wait and see what Nokia cook up.

That's a complete lie.

Omnia 7 uses NAND memory, meaning that games open 2x faster and performance is generally better overall.

That's a complete lie.

Omnia 7 uses NAND memory, meaning that games open 2x faster and performance is generally better overall.

A complete lie? It's just his opinion :laugh:

Having said that, my Omnia 7 feels very fast and I've seen videos that would suggest that, as you said, its NAND memory is faster than the SD cards that HTC are using.

I wish it could be upgraded like the Focus :(

That's a complete lie.

Well not completely... it' certainly doesn't feel as nice in your hand! :laugh: The Omnia 7 (and most of the Galaxy range of phones) has a kind of light, hollow feeling to it, cheap feeling to it, and it's not very cold to the touch most of the time.

Mozart feels like a far more premium device in hand - extremely solid phone beautiful construction, even the glass looks and feels better than the Omnia 7's. There's something to be said for buying a ?400+ high-end smart phone, and wanting it to look and feel the part. Mozart has that down in ways the Omnia can only dream of.

But Omnia 7 is definitely faster ^^;

Really :| ? I have a Class 2 16GB Sandisk from my HD2, would that work ? In the case I want to recover the SD card to use in other devices, how do I format it ?

I kinda lean toward the Focus as well because it is so popular in US, hence easier to get. However, I don't like the Focus design so much. I am more in love with the Omnia 7 design and I think it is one of the sexiest phones I have seen so far. Do you usually pick a phone because of the design or because of the features ? That's my dilemma at the moment...

If you want to 'try' WP7, just install it on your HD2, if you like it, then buy an actual phone.

Well not completely... it' certainly doesn't feel as nice in your hand! :laugh: The Omnia 7 (and most of the Galaxy range of phones) has a kind of light, hollow feeling to it, cheap feeling to it, and it's not very cold to the touch most of the time.

Mozart feels like a far more premium device in hand - extremely solid phone beautiful construction, even the glass looks and feels better than the Omnia 7's. There's something to be said for buying a ?400+ high-end smart phone, and wanting it to look and feel the part. Mozart has that down in ways the Omnia can only dream of.

But Omnia 7 is definitely faster ^^;

It's all just a matter of opinion but I don't think the Omnia 7 feels cheap at all. It is light (which makes a nice change because my last few phones have all been on the heavy side) but it fits perfectly in my hand and I like the feeling of the metal back. If I had to make one complaint about it I'd say that it's a bit too slippery and I'm a bit concerned that I'll drop it by accident. It can get warm but it's usually quite cool to the touch.

If you want to 'try' WP7, just install it on your HD2, if you like it, then buy an actual phone.

It's a bit late for that. If you'd read on you'd have seen that he's bought a Focus :)

It's all just a matter of opinion but I don't think the Omnia 7 feels cheap at all. It is light (which makes a nice change because my last few phones have all been on the heavy side) but it fits perfectly in my hand and I like the feeling of the metal back. If I had to make one complaint about it I'd say that it's a bit too slippery and I'm a bit concerned that I'll drop it by accident. It can get warm but it's usually quite cool to the touch.

It's a bit late for that. If you'd read on you'd have seen that he's bought a Focus :)

Yup, I am a happy WP7 owner now :D.

WP7 on HD2 is great but it just doesn't deliver the full experience IMO. Right now the MAGLDR loader is kinda buggy. If I somehow completely drain the battery, it can't be charged unless I charge it in an external charger. Besides, there are tons of bugs like green tone with the camera, etc... HD2 is still great for Android testing so I will be keeping it too.

• 3 months later...

I'd recommend the Samsung Omnia 7 over the other choices out there right now but I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't interested in what Nokia may have to offer. I launched head first into a 2 year contract with the Omnia 7 though so I won't be changing any time soon. Don't regret my decision though, I think it will easily last me 2 years.