IE9 coming to Windows Phone 7 much sooner than expected, support SL

IE9 coming to Windows Phone 7 much sooner than expected, support SL

We already know that the browser on Windows Phone 7 is modular, and can be updated separately from the rest of the OS.

Now we have a hot tip from the same person who accurately foretold the pre-NoDo update, that IE9 may come to Windows Phone 7 well before the Mango update towards the end of the year, and will in fact support Silverlight in addition to HTML5.

Given the reputation of our tipster I am inclined to believe we will be seeing a IE9 update pushed out well before fall 2011, making Windows phone 7 not just the smoothest platform, but soon also the one with the fastest browser.

Source

I hope this is true, app updates should be one thing carriers can't block. But the real question is does MS want to do it this way or do they want to add IE9 with one of the big OS updates? Only time will tell, maybe we'll find out enough at MiX. I hope they talk about the next update then after NoDo is already out, but not Mango, some other one that's sooner. I really expect to see Mango around Nov TBH.

IE9 isn't the fastest browser on the desktop so i'd like to see the numbers that justify their assertion that it's fastest in mobile.

IE9 isn't the fastest browser on the desktop so i'd like to see the numbers that justify their assertion that it's fastest in mobile.

Who says it isn't? I say Android is slow - where's the proof? It's just an opinion.

I don't know about raw numbers, but the side-by-side video of the IE9 browser on WP7 with the iPhone's browser (which is generally regarded as fairly good, and fast) was very telling.

On my desktop and laptop cold start of Chrome is a bit slower compared to IE9. If we assume that IE9 is partially loaded because it is "part of the system" - I still see next to nothing difference between loading websites.

btw. this with Chrome dev (11.xx) and IE9 RC1.

So for me personally IE9 is the fastest desktop browser along with Chrome followed by Opera and then Firefox.