Live Discussion: Apple's iPad 2 event

is AirPlay just another name for DLNA or something else? :/

Home Sharing is more like DLNA. AirPlay does practically the reverse: instead of browsing and pulling data from a server, you push the data from the server to the receiver and control all aspects of playback from the server.

This placement seems odd for an Apple design:

20110302-11061260--img4724.jpg

You'd think it'd be the same distance from the top as from the side. The iFixit teardown will be interesting to see why they ended up with that.

Home Sharing is more like DLNA. AirPlay does practically the reverse: instead of browsing and pulling data from a server, you push the data from the server to the receiver and control all aspects of playback from the server.

DLNA does exactly as you describe it depends on what you class as the receiver. For example, a phone can send a video to a tv... this is what airplay does and what DLNA does.

DLNA does exactly as you describe it depends on what you class as the receiver. For example, a phone can send a video to a tv... this is what airplay does and what DLNA does.

Huh, I've never seen DLNA work that way. I've always seen the browsing and viewing done on the TV end. I've never seen the phone push the video to the TV.

That's not the point.. People shouldn't sit silent when they Apple is mostly full of sh** and lying.. That's something that should be pointed out.

It's fantastic that it doesn't bother you and how you approve of this.. that's when you are so biased that you start approving everything your favorite brand is doing even if it's just plain lies. Just as long as it fills up your ridiculous bias.. It's sad really.

You playing the "Apple lies!" and fanboy card again without having anything to back it up with. *Yawn* :sleep:

Huh, I've never seen DLNA work that way. I've always seen the browsing and viewing done on the TV end. I've never seen the phone push the video to the TV.

Yeah, it does. Desire HD to Xbox 360 is my usage and it works great.

that's exactly what DLNA is, I can push a video/photo/song to Xbox from my Android phone and control the playback on the phone. To rephrase the question, is AirPlay DLNA compatible or something proprietary (based on iTunes sharing)?

+1

Why in the world is GPS only ever on the carrier models? I mean you DONT need a cell provider to use GPS, just put a GPS chip into the base model...

that's exactly what DLNA is, I can push a video/photo/song to Xbox from my Android phone and control the playback on the phone. To rephrase the question, is AirPlay DLNA compatible or something proprietary (based on iTunes sharing)?

Then yes, it works the same as DLNA and, no, it's not compatible.

11:10AM "This really is a giant leap forward."

Lol, no its just a spec bump.

Yet still we'll see every other tablet maker cry and rush a brand new tablet to market...

I hope the hinges on the side i saw in various shots with and without the top cover are not permanent aditions. Those hinges are annoying, i just hope new apps will be backward compatable, i see no need to upgrade because of the dualcore A5, as i dont need or can use face time, i only know1 person with an iphone (2G), and im the only person i regularly talk to with a mac or ipad, so facetime isnt a reason to upgrade for me

Coming from iPhone 4, having no interest in iPads and wanting more MobileMe love I can say:

LAME.

Glassed Silver:mac

That's not the point.. People shouldn't sit silent when they Apple is mostly full of sh** and lying.. That's something that should be pointed out.

It's fantastic that it doesn't bother you and how you approve of this.. that's when you are so biased that you start approving everything your favorite brand is doing even if it's just plain lies. Just as long as it fills up your ridiculous bias.. It's sad really.

Are talking about when Jobs said "thicker" when he meant "thinner"?

Will you please evaluate your posting?

Thanks. :)

Glassed Silver:macj

and...that's it...huh, a lot less than most expected I think.

Some people are never happy :shifty:

and...that's it...huh, a lot less than most expected I think.

Actually not really. By Monday most realized that an upgraded screen wasn't happening, no SD, and no updated plug. The only thing that isn't known at this point is the amount of on-board ram.

What do we know:

CPU

physical specs

price

physical colors

New apps

cameras

All of those were already known.

IMHO it is actually exactly what we expecting and I think it's actually going to be quite good.