• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Live Discussion: Apple's iPad 2 event

Leonick    35

Anyone seen anything about the ram in the iPad2? Can't seem to find that anywhere, rather funny seeing how that was the only thing that really needed an upgrade. The rest of the upgrades mostly serve the function of having numbers on a paper that are on par with other tablets :p

+John.    1,395

No I didn't expect much more from the iPad itself the 3 things you mentioned were things I'd have liked but probably wasn't gonna get

but I mean

iOS5 beta

new itunes go go with the new iOS 4.3

iWork 2011

Disappointed in you, dude. :p iOS x.x releases are announced with the new iPhones (June), iTunes is generally announced during the media event (September).

Stetson    180

Disappointed in you, dude. :p iOS x.x releases are announced with the new iPhones (June), iTunes is generally announced during the media event (September).

Apple usually pre-announces iOS versions in March/April to give devs a head start. It's generally released with the new iPhone though.

PyX    140

Apple usually pre-announces iOS versions in March/April to give devs a head start. It's generally released with the new iPhone though.

We didn?t have any preview of iOS4 until the iPhone 4?s keynote... or did we?

But yeah, iTunes released in September and iOS5 released in June / beginning of July.

I?m always dying for iWork ?11 right now. But now, I believe their time is up and they will skip this release and go all out for iWork ?12. They are disgustingly late on Microsoft?s Office.

+John.    1,395

Announced (in Apple terms) means it's finished ie announced to the public.

Stetson    180

Announced (in Apple terms) means it's finished ie announced to the public.

Yes, but for those on Neowin who are looking for a preview, it will come soon, not in June.

Edit: He also mentioned an iOS5 beta, not final release announcement. The beta versions come in March/April, not June.

Also the question about iOS 4: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/iphone-os-4-0-unveiled-shipping-this-summer/

And that was a bit later than usual because of the April iPad launch.

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277

From Engadget:

Cool, after the keynote i browsed away from it and didnt see the hands on reviews

philcruicks    259

I wondered if you'd pop on and make a comment John. I didn't mean a full release but beta would have been nice, I'll talk to Wez, he'll have the beta when its out...(u got his app?)

I wanna see Lion when I'm next down.

+John.    1,395

I wondered if you'd pop on and make a comment John. I didn't mean a full release but beta would have been nice, I'll talk to Wez, he'll have the beta when its out...(u got his app?)

I wanna see Lion when I'm next down.

So will I mate. And yeah pop down soon. It's all cool.

ynnoj    23

Home sharing in iOS 4.3. YES!

.Neo    1,834

Well what were you expecting? Aside from the lack of retina displays and capacity bumps, I don?t see what?s wrong with the hardware update.

No new screen and especially updated storage. I think it's pretty ridiculous to be still asking ?500 for 16 GB. We've been at the same price point for that since 2008...

PyX    140

No new screen and especially updated storage. I think it's pretty ridiculous to be still asking ?500 for 16 GB. We've been at the same price point for that since 2008...

You?re comparing the price point of an iPad with the one of an iPod Touch? :blink:

But yeah, I was thinking of a nice 128GB iPad 2 this morning before the show began. It?s too bad they haven?t made one, really.

notuptome2004    164

i find that funny since we did not have an iPad till last year and that the 16gb model of any idevice has been around $300.00 USD

.Neo    1,834

i find that funny since we did not have an iPad till last year and that the 16gb model of any idevice has been around $300.00 USD

Don't act smart, fact is storage price points from Apple did not really lower since I got my second generation iPod touch in 2008.

You?re comparing the price point of an iPad with the one of an iPod Touch? :blink:

Both the iPhone and iPad reflect what is happening with the iPod touch. So yeah, of course I do a comparison. The iPad really should carry 32 GB as a minimum by now. It's 2011.

acnpt    39

I was expecting 32GB to become the base model.

Might have something to do with memory prices, as only the Playbook is matching Apple with 64GB max.

PyX    140

Don't act smart, fact is storage price points from Apple did not really lower since I got my second generation iPod touch in 2008.

Did your iPod Touch 2G have such a big screen, a gyroscope, 2 cameras, an external speaker ... ?

I understand your frustration, but how dare you compare the price of an iPod Touch to the price of an iPad?

PyX    140

Both the iPhone and iPad reflect what is happening with the iPod touch. So yeah, of course I do a comparison. The iPad really should carry 32 GB as a minimum by now. It's 2011.

Unfortunately, the prices haven?t dropped so much in the last months. Usually this domain manages to double the storage every year for the same price, but it hasn?t been the case for the last 2 years.

I completely agree that we shouldn?t have an 8GB iPod Touch, 16GB iPhone and 16GB iPad anymore, and I would have been ready to pay about $30 - $50 more to have twice the same storage, but their choice was to keep the same prices. Even though I don?t respect it, I still don?t see how you can compare both devices prices. You?re almost stating the iPad should be the price of an iPod Touch.

.Neo    1,834

Did your iPod Touch 2G have such a big screen, a gyroscope, 2 cameras, an external speaker ... ?

I understand your frustration, but how dare you compare the price of an iPod Touch to the price of an iPad?

First of all I'm not frustrated, I'm just saying I would have expected Apple to bump the storage after almost three years. And what has that to do with anything? The current iMac has a high-res 21,5-inch LED LCD screen, a Core i3 CPU, 4 GB memory, 500 GB HDD, SuperDrive, great video card, blutooth, Wi-Fi, infrared, iSight, wireless keyboard and multi-touch mouse. All cheaper than my eMac lacking these extras, which had specs that were considered low even at the time. What's your point here really?

You're bringing in 2008 standards to 2011.

Unfortunately, the prices haven?t dropped so much in the last months. Usually this domain manages to double the storage every year for the same price, but it hasn?t been the case for the last 2 years.

Prices have probably dropped enough for Apple to introduce a 32 GB iPad at ?500 after almost three years. It's a matter of making more profit, while keeping prices the same.

PyX    140

And what has that to do with anything? The current iMac has a high-res 21,5-inch LED LCD screen, a Core i3 CPU, 4 GB memory, 500 GB HDD, SuperDrive, great video card, blutooth, Wi-Fi, infrared, iSight, wireless keyboard and multi-touch mouse. All cheaper than my eMac lacking these extras, which had specs that were considered low even at the time. What's your point here really?

You?re comparing a 10 years timeframe to a 3 years timeframe here. Your point is still invalid to me.

Prices have probably dropped enough for Apple to introduce a 32 GB iPad at ?500 after almost three years. It's a matter of making more profit, while keeping prices the same.

Maybe they?re just leaving a chance for the competition in 2011? :rofl:

More seriously, they have set the price point not just on the iPad, but on this whole segment of the market. If competitors are not able to at least match them, Apple will keep them up. Simple economics here, and we are the losers.

threetonesun    1,204

Apple has a sustainable market of consumers who only want a 16GB iPad, so they take the profits. Certainly plenty of people buy the lowest model as a larger iPod touch, and 16GBs is more than enough for music and some apps.

It is horrible outdated though. I'd need closer to 128GBs to make my entire photo and music library portable, and that's not even considering videos.

.Neo    1,834

You?re comparing a 10 years timeframe to a 3 years timeframe here. Your point is still invalid to me.

You might want to brush up on Mac history first. My point might make more sense to you then.

More seriously, they have set the price point not just on the iPad, but on this whole segment of the market. If competitors are not able to at least match them, Apple will keep them up. Simple economics here, and we are the losers.

Problem with the competition is that they're bringing tablets on the market with better specs and a lot of extra features in an effort to differentiate themselves. Unfortunately that means the price goes up drastically as well.

Apple has a sustainable market of consumers who only want a 16GB iPad, so they take the profits. Certainly plenty of people buy the lowest model as a larger iPod touch, and 16GBs is more than enough for music and some apps.

Probably the only reason people buy the 16 GB iPad en masse is because it's the cheapest model. Not because they couldn't use the extra storage space. But you're basically saying what I said earlier: Flash memory prices lowered while Apple keeps the prices the same taking the extra profit.

threetonesun    1,204

Problem with the competition is that they're bringing tablets on the market with better specs and a lot of extra features in an effort to differentiate themselves. Unfortunately that means the price goes up drastically as well.

Probably the only reason people buy the 16 GB iPad en masse is because it's the cheapest model.

Read those two together. That's why Apple still puts out a 16GB iPad.

And no, I don't think the majority "needs" more than 16GBs any more than they "need" an iPad. A handful of people will use Garageband or iMovie on it. Some businesses/schools will use it, but probably will have no need for more than 16GBs. Consumers will buy it because it's interesting, and can live with a 16GB hard drive, because they'll either a) not use it to it's full capacity, or b) buy it because it's cheap.

I've yet to see an application that makes the iPad something unique. It's not a phone, and it's still fully reliant on a computer, and I would bet the majority of users surf the web on it and play games. I'm sure Apple does usage studies, saw that most people buy the cheap one and don't need more than 16GBs, so spent their money on making it more attractive instead.

.Neo    1,834
And no, I don't think the majority "needs" more than 16GBs any more than they "need" an iPad.

That's a different discussion altogether.

I've yet to see an application that makes the iPad something unique. It's not a phone, and it's still fully reliant on a computer, and I would bet the majority of users surf the web on it and play games. I'm sure Apple does usage studies, saw that most people buy the cheap one and don't need more than 16GBs, so spent their money on making it more attractive instead.

Being an Android phone owner myself I have to say applications on iOS are way ahead of pretty much anything on Google's platform. They tend to have much nicer and better interfaces, more functionality and are overall less buggy (although your milage might vary there). I really don't find Android apps to be that good.

The iPad sets itself apart from regular laptops and netbooks with its portability, battery life and overall it's very low-maintence compared to running a desktop OS.

acnpt    39

If flash memory is so cheap, then why is the Xoom + HP only 32GB, and the IPad + Playbook 64GB max?

I'd like to see some figure on memory prices. About two years ago the price of Ram nearly doubled, and is only now getting low again.