Are we still evolving? Cool new video for the doubters of evolution.

Here's a cool new BBC Horizion documentary that asks the question 'are we still evolving.' Since it sites many current and well understood examples of evolution (and in particular human evolution) in action, I suspect many doubters will have quite a hard time explaining it away.

So is evolution just a theory? Yes! But it's a theory in the same way Newton and Einstein's theory of gravity is just a theory. We can still say concrete things about it and make lots of measurements of it - but there's no doubt in anyone's mind that the phenomenon and the theory that governs it is real enough. In science theories always remain theories and are never described as being 100% factual (as indeed nothing is), so even if something to a non-scientist seems to be a 100% true, a scientist will only ever go as far as saying it may be 99.9999....% true, even if it means only leaving a tiny fraction of a percent for doubt. It is exactly this tiny fraction of a percent that makes evolution, and many others like it a "theory".

:sleep2: :sleep2: :sleep2:

Well it needs the attention span of something marginally bigger than a fish to watch it... But I'm happy to say I can do that. But if you want to take the three 'wise' monkey's approach to the subject matter, you're perfectly entitled to go to sleep.

Have it on Sky+ to watch :)

Posted mainly for the benefit of the Yanks - and others. They can't get BBC content as quickly as this.

sounds interesting perhaps i will give it a watch once i have returned home from work for the evening.

I've always been a believer in evolution. It just makes sense, there's far too much proof around for it not to be happening.

I saw this when it was broadcast, i'm glad the BBC made this in such an easy to understand way that even some of the most narrow minded idiots can watch and at least consider.

Watching.

People who deny evolution are either stupid or ignorant. Contrary to watch creationists say, there is no debate as to whether evolution is real or not. It's proven. It's not a theory - it's a SCIENTIFIC theory and until people understand that, we'll still have people believing that it's a debatable subject.

Of course there are specifics in evolution that some scientists do debate about, certain animals descended from which for instance however the overall consensus in science is that in essence, it's proven fact. The only reason we don't label it as fact is because it isn't supported by math, because it can't be supported by math.

I think those who don't believe evolution is 'fact' are simply lacking education in the subject. When I hear people talk about evolution that don't really care about the subject the most common thing I hear is 'we evolved from monkeys' when in reality, no where does it say that we evolved from monkeys.

Debating the existence of evolution is like debating the existence of gravity. Only dumb ass's do it.

:sleep2: :sleep2: :sleep2:

Judging by your signature and avatar, you're a far right Tea Bagger. Meaning you think the earth was created in six days by a single deity, which flat out isn't true, but your politics isn't exactly truthful to begin with, so I guess it goes without saying what you are.

Watching.

People who deny evolution are either stupid or ignorant. Contrary to watch creationists say, there is no debate as to whether evolution is real or not. It's proven. It's not a theory - it's a SCIENTIFIC theory and until people understand that, we'll still have people believing that it's a debatable subject.

Of course there are specifics in evolution that some scientists do debate about, certain animals descended from which for instance however the overall consensus in science is that in essence, it's proven fact. The only reason we don't label it as fact is because it isn't supported by math, because it can't be supported by math.

I think those who don't believe evolution is 'fact' are simply lacking education in the subject. When I hear people talk about evolution that don't really care about the subject the most common thing I hear is 'we evolved from monkeys' when in reality, no where does it say that we evolved from monkeys.

Debating the existence of evolution is like debating the existence of gravity. Only dumb ass's do it.

(Y)

Watching.

Absolutely.

I was watching a program on Discovery channel where they were proving that the Wooly Mammoth wasn't at all wooly to begin with. They were more like elephants until they evolved to have that heavy coat over generations of making their slow migration north.

That was just one relatively small example. It happens everywhere

The guy makes three faces and get called names. Who is the intolerant one here, It really shows your true colors.

I think they may be taking their lead from his ativar. It's a lot to read into it, but it does seem like a rather typically Republican, neo-Christian slogan of some kind. Still I agree, this shouldn't be used as a reason to bash anyone.

I just find it a little surprising (as this is happened in other cases too) that when people of a certain rightward leaning persuasion are presented with direct evidence like this, they will either chose to simply ignore it, or say that science bores them somehow and that this is a good reason not to look at the evidence that exists.

Evolution is still a "theory" for two reasons:

1. The forces and mechanisms that drive evolution are still not fully understood.

2. We still do not have the full history of how animals evolved and from which ancestors.

But the simple idea that animals evolve from common ancestors has pretty much been proven, time and time again.

I'll add this to my list of documentaries to watch.

Evolution is still a "theory" for two reasons:

1. The forces and mechanisms that drive evolution are still not fully understood.

2. We still do not have the full history of how animals evolved and from which ancestors.

But the simple idea that animals evolve from common ancestors has pretty much been proven, time and time again.

I'll add this to my list of documentaries to watch.

As regards # 2, we can't, though we don't need it either.

Of course evolution is true, it's a bit hard to say it isn't. Only thing I do think, is that humans stopped evolving as civilization was introduced. Survival of the fittest is no longer true in any possible way, since basically everyone can have kids, and almost every disease can be cured or whatever. Most genetically weak humans were unable to reproduce, which led to evolution. That process no longer happens.

Still, this is only true for humans. Almost all other animals still evolve, of course.

Thanks for the link. The subject material is great, and the hostess is gorgeous.

She looks hot in that graveyard in black. I'm not a goth, but still that was poetic - and hot. (Especially if you pause it for a bit as she leans over to read one of the gravestones). Which is besides the point really as she is fantastically well qualified too.

Anyway the reason scientists say that a theory is a theory is because no matter how much we try there will always be uncertainty in our measurements. There will be gaps in the record, things we can only measure to a certain degree of precision and so on. Theory in science does not mean the same thing that it appears to mean (as in 'an idea') to much of the general public.

Of course evolution is true, it's a bit hard to say it isn't. Only thing I do think, is that humans stopped evolving as civilization was introduced. Survival of the fittest is no longer true in any possible way, since basically everyone can have kids, and almost every disease can be cured or whatever. Most genetically weak humans were unable to reproduce, which led to evolution. That process no longer happens.

Still, this is only true for humans. Almost all other animals still evolve, of course.

Well I don't want to spoil the film for everyone else, but the evidence in the film and elsewhere would suggest we are still evolving, although potentially at a slower rate. A it would take is for one catastrophe and evolution could catch us up again and either destroy us, or bring about a new stage in our development.

Genetically you have to wonder what weakening the gene pool by artificially prolonging human life would do in the long run though. I'm not certain I know if this is a good idea or not yet.