Nintendo Warns Against Playing Pirated Games On The 3DS

Nintendo Warns Against Playing Pirated Games On The 3DS; Threatens To Brick Consoles

By Nikole Zivalich

Nintendo-3DS.jpg

Nintendo is making it clear they do not support playing pirated or non-region approved games on the 3DS. Japanese retailers have been warned, Nintendo will disable any 3DS console that has illegal games detected on it. The console would be bricked via firmware update. The 3Ds launched last week in Japan and the American release will take place at the end of the month. I'm sure we can expect to see a similar warning from Nintendo once it hits shelves on March 27.

Many retailers in Japan have already warned their customers; issuing their own warning, stating they will not buy back a 3DS with custom software. According to GoNintendo, Japanese game chain Enterking posted this warning on their site.

Nintendo-Warns-Against-Hacking-The-3DS-Threatens-To-Brick-Consoles--.jpg

The flier roughly translates to:

"Dear customers who resell Nintendo 3DS "

"non purchase able 3DS system"

In case if you use equipment which is illegal or unapproved by Nintendo or if you do customization which is unapproved by Nintendo, there is a possibility that Nintendo 3DS become non bootable by system update.

- From Nintendo 3DS terms of agreement

Because of terms of agreement above, Enterking refuses to buy 3DS system with record of illegal or unapproved equipment.' "Request to format before you sell"

Do you think Nintendo should be able to disable the 3DS if they detect illegal software? The 3DS won't be able to play games that aren't approved for your region. Could you have your 3DS disabled for playing an imported game, even if you payed for it?

Source: G4TV

I think disabling the 3DS because you're playing an imported game is wrong, you paid for it after all. But if they see illegal code? Sure, why not?

They do that in North America, watch how fast Nintendo gets sued. If I buy a product, I should be able to do whatever I want with it, if the company breaks my property, that comes under certain laws.

Wait, they removed the feature that has been present in all previous Ninty handhelds: playing other regions' games?! & now if you hack the console to bring back the feature, they'll brick your 3DS?!

I assume the handhelds are region-locked so it would be impossible to play imported games without hacked firmware. I see no problem with this.

They do that in North America, watch how fast Nintendo gets sued. If I buy a product, I should be able to do whatever I want with it, if the company breaks my property, that comes under certain laws.

Probably same situation that you are only licencing their software, if they decide that your machine has been playing things it shouldn't have been then I suppose they can refuse you that licence.

Probably same situation that you are only licencing their software, if they decide that your machine has been playing things it shouldn't have been then I suppose they can refuse you that licence.

Exactly! :D They're not breaking the hardware at all. It's just that their software won't run on it. Have fun writing your own software to run on the hardware you legally own!

If I buy a product, I should be able to do whatever I want with it

well if SONY gets what they want this definitely won't be the case....and of course if SONY somehow wins its court battle you know lots of companies will be following suit...

Care to name these laws? :laugh:

Care to name these laws? :laugh:

Destruction of Private Property, I know this is a law in Canada, not sure about America.

well if SONY gets what they want this definitely won't be the case....and of course if SONY somehow wins its court battle you know lots of companies will be following suit...

Sony would have to take someone to court in Canada, and it would have to make it all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada because it would be appealed, if the Supreme Court would rule in Sony's favour then yes it would then be upheld by any court.

their software isn't your private property. they would just revoke your license to use their software. your hardware would still be in perfect working order.

Destruction of Private Property, I know this is a law in Canada, not sure about America.

Sony would have to take someone to court in Canada, and it would have to make it all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada because it would be appealed, if the Supreme Court would rule in Sony's favour then yes it would then be upheld by any court.

Nice how you ignored my post... how was the hardware you bought destroyed by Nintendo removing their software?

I am by no means a lawyer, but isnt nintendo covered by coming out in the open and stating this information, and the user agreeing to: not only accept the license agreement, but also purchase the console.

I wish them all the best in fighting piracy, but Nintendo, you region locked your console, that is a huge slap in the face of your customer base.

Nowadays region locks for physical products are retarded, anti-consumer and will only lead to legitimate people trying to find methods to play foreign culture games.

Basically, the Japanese don't like Americans, and this is Nintendo's way of keeping their games out of our hands. It's very Anti-Western.

Sony are Japanese and they do region free, it's just Nintendo being stubborn.

their software isn't your private property. they would just revoke your license to use their software. your hardware would still be in perfect working order.

How is nuked firmware "in perfect working order"?

Japanese retailers have been warned, Nintendo will disable any 3DS console that has illegal games detected on it. The console would be bricked via firmware update.

At no point in the flier does it say that Nintendo will disable any console or that it will be bricked.........it just states that its a possibility, which is absolutely true and is the same for any device, if you run different firmware/cracks on it, there's a possibility that a patch will break the os on it.

Exactly the same if your run say Win7 with some dodgy cracks, there's a possibility that a Service Pack could break it booting.

So, they brick your 3DS via a firmware update if you try to play imported games? Lame and easily circumvented. Nothing to worry about.

How is nuked firmware "in perfect working order"?

Say you format your hard drive on your computer. It won't boot up. But is it in working order? Absolutely! Everything on it works it just doesn't have any software to run. If you try to change the software that's on the 3DS they're saying that they'll take their ball and go home. The 3DS is still a functional piece of hardware waiting for some software.

Say you format your hard drive on your computer. It won't boot up. But is it in working order? Absolutely! Everything on it works it just doesn't have any software to run. If you try to change the software that's on the3 DS they're saying that they'll take their ball and go home. The 3DS is still a functional piece of hardware waiting for some software.

A computer is still going to be able to boot computer software while a blanked out 3DS wouldn't (unless at that point they would allow the 3DS to run some kind of homebrew but not 3DS commercial games (not going to happen))

Bricking generally means that it is unrecoverable. That means that it wouldn't be salvageable like in the case of a reformat. I'm against this as Nintendo has always been about a "walled garden" but they've never been petty. However if this is just a warning, it makes sense and is no different than a tutorial disclaimer.

I wasn't even aware these needed modded firmware though. Don't they still make flash carts?

At no point in the flier does it say that Nintendo will disable any console or that it will be bricked.........it just states that its a possibility, which is absolutely true and is the same for any device, if you run different firmware/cracks on it, there's a possibility that a patch will break the os on it.

Exactly the same if your run say Win7 with some dodgy cracks, there's a possibility that a Service Pack could break it booting.

Shh, away with your pesky rational facts. News stories these days are all about sensationalism and whaargarble. :laugh: