• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Nintendo Warns Against Playing Pirated Games On The 3DS

johnnyq3    44

So, they brick your 3DS via a firmware update if you try to play imported games? Lame and easily circumvented. Nothing to worry about.

The 3DS system will mostly likely say that your game can't be played in your current region. Nintendo is trying to also block the R4 and like in this way as well.

shakey    1,127

If/As Sony did this, there/Is would be a huge outrage...but when Nintendo does it, people just go Meh.... How odd. Both companies trying to protect their investment, but people seem to see 1 as the more evil......

I say all companies should brick any console found to be running pirated or illegal code. If you want to do that crap, don't connect online. Simple as that. All for this in my opinion.

Ji@nBing    53

Meh. Hackers will get around it and all they are doing is encouraging them by giving them a challenge.

BlueScreenOfDeath    416

Basically, the Japanese don't like Americans, and this is Nintendo's way of keeping their games out of our hands. It's very Anti-Western.

Yea must be some conspiracy to take down America and the west huh </sarcasm>

thealexweb    204

99% sure that's illegal in the UK, sure they'll be allowed to block from Nintendo's online services but withdrawing the product is grossly wrong, shame on you Nintendo.

laz45    31

Just get a modified working rom and problem fixed!

CentralDogma    145

Pretty sure the flier means: "if you try to hack the 3DS and it bricks, it's your own damn fault".

The_Decryptor    1,105

Say you format your hard drive on your computer. It won't boot up. But is it in working order? Absolutely! Everything on it works it just doesn't have any software to run. If you try to change the software that's on the 3DS they're saying that they'll take their ball and go home. The 3DS is still a functional piece of hardware waiting for some software.

Except that in the comparison, the hard drive is equivalent to a game cartridge.

The firmware is software, but it lives entirely within hardware, by bricking it you stop the hardware working.

Edit: The closest comparison would be the BIOS, bricking that would require you to send it in to get it fixed (which is why mobo makers are now stuffing backup BIOSes on motherboards, so if one fails another takes over)

nub    181

Say you format your hard drive on your computer. It won't boot up. But is it in working order? Absolutely! Everything on it works it just doesn't have any software to run. If you try to change the software that's on the 3DS they're saying that they'll take their ball and go home. The 3DS is still a functional piece of hardware waiting for some software.

Yeah, but you probably won't be able to run any software on it afterwards. At least not with some sort of key, probably console specific, and some hackery.

Subject Delta    108

I have trouble imagining Nintendo getting away with this, especially in the US. Although I would imagine hackers will end up finding some way to circumvent it

ozgeek    165

How is nuked firmware "in perfect working order"?

Because it's their firmware. Make your own firmware :)

Xilo    932

Protip: This is scaretactic FUD being spread by media who obviously do not know how flashcarts work.

Denis W.    733

Pretty sure the flier means: "if you try to hack the 3DS and it bricks, it's your own damn fault".

That's probably it. And it would be no different than what they're doing on the DSi at the moment. It's a cat-and-mouse game between system firmware updates by Nintendo and firmware updates for the flash carts.

Minifig    40

They do that in North America, watch how fast Nintendo gets sued. If I buy a product, I should be able to do whatever I want with it, if the company breaks my property, that comes under certain laws.

No, they won't get sued. Don't be silly.

This falls under jurisdiction of End User License Agreements. If you read the fine print, it says you don't get to do with their software what you want, it's exactly like when Blizzard won the lawsuit against the person who wrote a bot who played the game for you. If you break the EULA, you break the law, and you get punished. There is no in between here.. at all.

Essentially, a EULA is legally binding if you agree to it, and if you can get the software on your computer without agreeing to the EULA, you are not bound by the EULA. For that same reason, if someone created a third party installer that installs the software independently of the products installer, that too would bypass the EULA. Remember, If you own the merchandise, you can do anything you want with it, unless you bind yourself to a EULA.

This is the Nintendo DSi/Nintendo DSi XL EULA.. and I'm going to assume the 3DS has a similar one, or will.

The part in particular you should be reading is this:

Chapter II: Unauthorized Software, Services, or Devices or Unlicensed Accessories

Your Nintendo DSi System and the Nintendo DSi Service are not designed for use with unauthorized software, services, or devices or non-licensed accessories, and you may not use any of these with your Nintendo DSi System or the Nintendo DSi Service. Such use may be illegal, voids any warranty, and is a breach of this agreement. Such use may also lead to injury to you or others or cause performance issues or damage to your Nintendo DSi System or the Nintendo DSi Service. We (and our licensees and distributors) are not responsible for damage or loss caused by unauthorized software, services or devices or non-licensed accessories. We may take steps to disable any unauthorized software, services or device installed in your Nintendo DSi System, for example, by detecting and disabling them through the Nintendo DSi Service and/or game software. If we detect unauthorized software, services, or devices, your access to the Nintendo DSi Service may be disabled and/or the Nintendo DSi System or games may be unplayable.

And

Chapter VII: Other

Article 11: Limited Responsibilities and Indemnification

If you breach this agreement, and we or another company or person is harmed by your breach, then you must indemnify us (and our licensees, licensors, and suppliers and any of our employees) from all of the losses and costs related to your breach, including our attorneys fees. You must also indemnify us for any claims relating to Third-Party Data modified, created, or sent by you.

HawkMan    5,232

If/As Sony did this, there/Is would be a huge outrage...but when Nintendo does it, people just go Meh.... How odd. Both companies trying to protect their investment, but people seem to see 1 as the more evil......

I say all companies should brick any console found to be running pirated or illegal code. If you want to do that crap, don't connect online. Simple as that. All for this in my opinion.

uhm, what ?

seems to me that the same people who think Sony are bad for doing this thinks it's bad when nintendo does it, in fact it seems more people think nintendo are bad for doing it than Sony. and all the people who defended sony's right to defend their product are defending Nintendo's right to defend their products so I don't see where your comment is coming from here.

Glassed Silver    940

Oh boy.....

Glassed Silver:ios