• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Phone 7 updates, comprehensive list of whats to come

Owen W    53

I'm sure there are a bunch of emotions out there about Windows Phone 7 updates, so I wanted to try and clarify whats been going on as far as I know, and looking ahead to the updates at the end of the year.

Apps to check out:

Coming soon

Updates:

February 21st

Pre-Update for Nodo

• Update for Updating Mechanism

March 8 - Delayed by MSFT. Update: Proof;

samsung_update.PNG

March 22nd

NoDo

• Copy & Paste
  • Performance Improvements
  • Compass API (for some phones)
  • Marketplace improvements

Mid-late 2011

"Entertainment" Update

Q2 2011

"Mango"

• IE9
  • Multitasking
  • Twitter Support
  • Sockets Support (Rumor)

2012:

VoIP Support

Live video out/Screencapture support (I've actually seen this in action)

New Devices (Nokia)

These are rumors and bits of information I have had confirmed to me through a channel, so remember that parts may or may not be true. Take it with a grain of salt. I'll keep this updated as we go along.

What do you think of the updates? Excited for NoDo?

Xerax    182

I really want a screencapture function now >.>.

Owen W    53

I really want a screencapture function now >.>.

It's definitely coming...

+dave164    18

Where is the source for the compass API? I keep seeing this spitted around but Neowin seem to be the only place thinking its in NoDo. However they are all welcome updates, looking forward to getting my own WP7 :)

Owen W    53

Where is the source for the compass API? I keep seeing this spitted around but Neowin seem to be the only place thinking its in NoDo. However they are all welcome updates, looking forward to getting my own WP7 :)

It's kicking around in NoDo, but AFAIK only OEMs can use it, and it only works on the HTC Trophy

Omen1393    16

Further on

VoIP Support

Live video out/Screencapture support (I've actually seen this in action)

New Devices (Nokia)

These are rumors and bits of information I have had confirmed to me through a channel, so remember that parts may or may not be true. Take it with a grain of salt. I'll keep this updated as we go along.

What do you think of the updates? Excited for NoDo?

By further on, do you mean that won't be until AFTER Mango? As a dev, I find it crazy that we still don't have socket support, or access to the video itself, Microsoft better start updating faster, or else my next phone will definitely not be a Windows Phone. Is the Bing team even aware that Windows Phone 7 exists? We still don't have image search, image search, QR or Microsoft Tag Scanning, Shopping, Bing Deals, Streetview, Metro directions or Contact integration into bing maps, but the iPhone version does, this is getting borderline outrageous. I dumped my iPhone for a WP7 hoping to get a better Bing experience, and we still don't even have image search? Come on.. My Samsung Focus restarts 5 or 6 times every day because WP7 still doesn't have SD card support for 32 GB cards and I don't take the card out because I hear the update is coming out January 22nd, and then Mid-February, and then March 7th, and now towards the end of March. I am aware that the NoDo update for WP7 doesn't officially add SD card support, but I have heard rumors from MS employees that NoDo was supposed to fix the SD card issue, that's the main reason why we don't have any WP7 certified SD cards, because Microsoft planned on adding support back in January.

Owen W    53

By further on, do you mean that won't be until AFTER Mango? As a dev, I find it crazy that we still don't have socket support, or access to the video itself, Microsoft better start updating faster, or else my next phone will definitely not be a Windows Phone.

End 2011, beginning 2012

Is the Bing team even aware that Windows Phone 7 exists? We still don't have image search, image search, QR or Microsoft Tag Scanning, Shopping, Bing Deals, Streetview, Metro directions or Contact integration into bing maps, but the iPhone version does, this is getting borderline outrageous. I dumped my iPhone for a WP7 hoping to get a better Bing experience, and we still don't even have image search?

Yeah, I'm not sure whats up with this. I think we may get a few surprises in this area, though I haven't heard anything yet.

Come on.. My Samsung Focus restarts 5 or 6 times every day because WP7 still doesn't have SD card support for 32 GB cards and I don't take the card out because I hear the update is coming out January 22nd, and then Mid-February, and then March 7th, and now towards the end of March. I am aware that the NoDo update for WP7 doesn't officially add SD card support, but I have heard rumors from MS employees that NoDo was supposed to fix the SD card issue, that's the main reason why we don't have any WP7 certified SD cards, because Microsoft planned on adding support back in January.

I've heard the same rumors, hope they're true!

Omen1393    16

End 2011, beginning 2012

Yeah, I'm not sure whats up with this. I think we may get a few surprises in this area, though I haven't heard anything yet.

I've heard the same rumors, hope they're true!

One more question, on video out, will there be the ability to get a dock for video out for phones without a mini HDMI slot?

Owen W    53

One more question, on video out, will there be the ability to get a dock for video out for phones without a mini HDMI slot?

On the device I saw, it had an application that switched the USB port to "HD OUT"; so I'd assume so.

daniel_rh    68

Thanks for this post, I hope the updates live up to our expectations

Mockingbird    2,780

This update process is really troublesome for Microsoft. From the leaked ROM, I was able to determine that the "NoDo" update RTM on January 24, 2011.

Owen W    53

This update process is really troublesome for Microsoft. From the leaked ROM, I was able to determine that the "NoDo" update RTM on January 24, 2011.

It actually RTM'd late December last year, but was slightly modified by OEM's after they had issues.

Omen1393    16

It's kicking around in NoDo, but AFAIK only OEMs can use it, and it only works on the HTC Trophy

Why is it only working on the Trophy? Doesn't every Windows Phone have a compass?

Owen W    53

Why is it only working on the Trophy? Doesn't every Windows Phone have a compass?

That's all I know about the Compass at the moment, sorry :(

George P    5,488

MS needs to try and work on some solid dates and press OEMs and Carriers more so this works out like it should and not how NoDo has turned out. Besides can't MS update the native apps without needing to flash the whole firmware? Why not just release IE9 for example on it's own as an app update?

Zeet    0

mid-late 2011 to add ringtone support is just horrible. Would have been better to include it in the NoDo update.

yeoo_andy_ni    34

mid-late 2011 to add ringtone support is just horrible. Would have been better to include it in the NoDo update.

I agree, simply for the fact that this is something that every other phone allows out of the box.

However, the fact that Copy and paste is only taking 6 months to arrive is pretty nice. Hate to mention the iPhone taking like 3 years. And wasn't Android about a year before they got that functionality too?

rfirth    740

If they don't release the API for the digital compass sensor and sockets soon, I'm going to go crazy. Also, direct access to the video stream/source, although I can wait for that.

I have a lot of code already written and I'm just waiting for these bits to complete it.

deep1234    1

I need the language support for Arabic, any idea when Microsoft will release it for the phone?

~Johnny    397

That's all I know about the Compass at the moment, sorry :(

I know Samsung used to have a working compass app on the marketplace for a few days... though it was a rather weird app for an official Samsung Zone app. It just pointed you in the direction that Muslims are meant to pray towards, whenever you are. Got taken off after a day or two, and has never come back since. Probably wasn't using any official compass API though, and there's no dev tools for it. So if there is any compass usage, I wouldn't bet on it being an official API yet (if it were, it'd work inter-device as it'd be properly integrated with SIlverlight and XNA as usable libraries, anything else is probably just manufacturer specific experimentation). Also, Mango should probably be H2 2011, not Q2 :p

tomwarren    68

Where has all this Compass talk come from? Microsoft has never stated that this would be made available with NoDo.

Prince Charming    163

I've never heard anything related to a Compass API for Nodo either. I know it's an expected feature, at some time it will happen, but it seems somewhat unsubstantiated at this point.

Equally, I would warn caution on the Microsoft Answers source regarding the date. It's 'official', but with a company the size of Microsoft, the head may not be talking to the arms, and the chap moderating questions likely doesn't have any information not available elsewhere.

tomwarren    68

I've never heard anything related to a Compass API for Nodo either. I know it's an expected feature, at some time it will happen, but it seems somewhat unsubstantiated at this point.

Equally, I would warn caution on the Microsoft Answers source regarding the date. It's 'official', but with a company the size of Microsoft, the head may not be talking to the arms, and the chap moderating questions likely doesn't have any information not available elsewhere.

The March 7 date is accurate, but I believe this was originally for Samsung Focus on AT&T only with other devices to follow afterwards.

George P    5,488

Regardless of the NoDo date MS should come clean as to why exactly it's taken this long when it shouldn't have.