• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xcode $5 on the mac app store?

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer    39

so i hear that xcode has finally enterd the app store but apple has slapped a 5$ price tag on it, now they claim its for accounting and stuff, i think 5$ is asking a bit too much as you just download it for free from the developer site, thoughts? Has any actually bought xcode from app store yet?

ObiWanToby    35

I am not too happy about this. Xcode is pretty sweet. I suspect they will stop offering it free. The App Store for Mac has ended the era of free.

i wouldnt be surprised if apple were to slap a price tag on xcode for non-apple devs

the evn show    138
I am not too happy about this. Xcode is pretty sweet. I suspect they will stop offering it free. The App Store for Mac has ended the era of free.

You're free to give away any software you like, or charge anything you want and distribute it yourself. It's not like the App Store is missing a "free" section or something.

I think it's fair to allow developers to charge whatever the heck they like for their software - even Apple - it's not as though you're being forced to use it.

i think 5$ is asking a bit too much as you just download it for free from the developer site, thoughts? Has any actually bought xcode from app store yet?

I've bought it, it works as advertised. XCode 4 is not available free unless you've purchased an ADC membership.

3.2 is still free software. IMO this is a non-issue until Mac OS X 10.7 ships, if it isn't a bundled with the OS as the current version is then it's a marked change from previous policy, otherwise I'm willing to give them a pass with their accounting nonsense claim. I don't really blame them for being extra paranoid after their SEC run in a couple of years back and even if they were just trying to rake in some cash, XCode is good software, it's be a bargain at 10x the price now.

In fact, I wouldn't have an issue if Apple started charging 'real money' for XCode and turning a bit of profit with it.

Hopefully that would spur some third party to make a compelling alternative IDE like CodeWarrior back in the day and bring some competition to the market helping to get Apple's act in gear when it comes to their dev tools.

lunarworks    32

You can tell that the App Store has really set the pricing bar low when people all over the net are bitching and complaining about FIVE DOLLARS for a FULL DEVELOPMENT SUITE.

How much is Microsoft Visual Studio?

giga    45

You can tell that the App Store has really set the pricing bar low when people all over the net are bitching and complaining about FIVE DOLLARS for a FULL DEVELOPMENT SUITE.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

• Like 3

evo0o    12

Isn't XCode in all the DVDs that Apple packages with their systems?

Isn't XCode in all the DVDs that Apple packages with their systems?

no, its a downlod only app

ObiWanToby    35

There are a few free utilities that I was using, but then came the app store and they started charging. It just isn't worth it to buy it. On principle it feels dirty or something. The App Store is nothing but negative connotation to me.

sviridovt    0

isnt it bad for apple to do put a price tag on a programing software that they create, because it is their interest to have plenty of software to offer to its users

Microsoft can put a price tag onto their's software because if you search for Windows software you are going to find a really, really, really wide range of software available

lunarworks    32

isnt it bad for apple to do put a price tag on a programing software that they create, because it is their interest to have plenty of software to offer to its users

If $5 is standing in the way of you making software, you've got bigger problems.

It'll probably come free with 10.7 Lion. Apparently the reason for the $5 charge is that US accounting laws, in conjunction with how Apple projects profits or something, won't let them give away significant new functionality for free. If they did, their shareholders could sue them. :/

Andrew Lyle    336

If you're going to develop using Xcode, pay the $99 a year for a developers license, so at least you can run apps on your iDevice.

the evn show    138

no, its a downlod only app

Xcode and before that project builder are included on the Mac OS X install DVD, they have been since the late 90s and the developer previews.

The most recent edition Apple has shipped prior to today was 3.2 which has always been free.

Here's a current retail copy of Mac OS X 10.6's install DVD

20110310-x8hkih4kc1dt24txcq6i45h62b.jpg

XCode 4 is almost a ground-up rewrite, it's never been free and only available to ADC members with non-free accounts. My best guess is that this is playing out like iChat AV which was the re-write/updated version of iChat. It was a free beta but the final version was only available for free with a purchase of the newly released OS (Mac OS X 10.3 i think) or for purchase from apple for around $10. If this isn't the case then it's just nickel & dimming because they can, although a one time purchase for isn't too bad provided that it gets you access to xcode 5,6,7,etc. as well.

developers license, so at least you can run apps on your iDevice.

XCode isn't used exclusively for building iPhone applications, it's also used to build Macruby/rubycocoa desktop applications, to compile native versions of MySQL etc for web developers, and updated versions of other development languages like python.

There are a few free utilities that I was using, but then came the app store and they started charging. It just isn't worth it to buy it.

So then ou don't buy it and you move on. To me this sounds like a great thing: people who normally couldn't monetize their time now have an easy way to do it. If they decide that they're willing to work for free again, you can make use of their apps for no charge. If not, well?like you said?it's not worth paying for the applications so they couldn't have been very important to you: it's not a big loss.

Eric    1,604

Free unless you need to develop a huge project and then it's probably still free since you'd likely have an MSDN membership.

@evn - I picked up the retail 10.6.3 disc a few weeks ago at Best Buy. Optional installs including Xcode are no longer on the media.

the evn show    138

@evn - I picked up the retail 10.6.3 disc a few weeks ago at Best Buy. Optional installs including Xcode are no longer on the media.

The disc I've got there i picked up on February 25th to upgrade my ancient mac mini. It's a 10.6.3 disk as well - snagged it from the Apple Store here in town.

I've got a macbook air USB thing around here somewhere, I could go check and see fi it's on there.

Eric    1,604

The disc I've got there i picked up on February 25th - it's a 10.6.3 disk as well - snagged it from the Apple Store here in town.

I've got a macbook air USB thing around here somewhere, I could go check and see fi it's on there.

Weird... The middle folder isn't on mine. The part number on the disc is 2Z691-6634-A

the evn show    138

Weird... The middle folder isn't on mine. The part number on the disc is 2Z691-6634-A

I've got mc5737/a on the box - the DVD itself has the same number.

What happens if you try and get there through terminal with cd /volumes/mac\ os\ x\ install? etc

Stetson    180

Free unless you need to develop a huge project and then it's probably still free since you'd likely have an MSDN membership.

Well the membership thing applies here too, if you're a registered Mac developer or iOS developer, XCode is a free download.

Eric    1,604

Well the membership thing applies here too, if you're a registered Mac developer or iOS developer, XCode is a free download.

This is true... I was thinking of the VS Express packages. They don't require a membership or fee. They're just specific for each language rather than having a one-stop IDE like Pro-Ultimate.

the evn show    138

ADC is $100 now, they've canned the free edition (along with getting rid of ADC select/premiere member hardware discounts).

sviridovt    0

If $5 is standing in the way of you making software, you've got bigger problems.

It'll probably come free with 10.7 Lion. Apparently the reason for the $5 charge is that US accounting laws, in conjunction with how Apple projects profits or something, won't let them give away significant new functionality for free. If they did, their shareholders could sue them. :/

no I dont have any problems paying $5, but there are amatures who just want to try it. They dont feel like paying because maybe they fail miserably, but there is also a chance that they would become great developers they otherwise wouldn't of become because the fee would of turned them down. Apple is behind windows as far as software goes and they need every developer they could have

Rudy    457

no I dont have any problems paying $5, but there are amatures who just want to try it. They dont feel like paying because maybe they fail miserably, but there is also a chance that they would become great developers they otherwise wouldn't of become because the fee would of turned them down. Apple is behind windows as far as software goes and they need every developer they could have

Anyone who just want to "try it" can use Xcode 3 which comes for free (and Lion "should' include 4.1). Xcode 3 is still a great IDE and didn't stop working today

Quillz    934

There is a free version of Visual Studio called "Express," but it's mainly just for those who need Visual Basic and not everything else.

OOOOOOOO    192

Seriously ? ?2.99 in the UK. I can't believe for a second that you lot are complaining about a ?2.99 ($5) cost for something so integral to development on the platform. It's peanuts. It's less than the cost of a McDonalds for crying out loud. I bet lunch today for most people cost more.

Right ... I'm a registered Apple Developer, but I still don't see how paying for things like this is an issue. One off payment. Easy, cheap ... very cheap in fact.

Good point about Visual Studio ... it's 500 bucks or thereabouts. Can't believe you cheap asses are bitching over 5 dollars!!! LOL!

PyX    140

As I said in another thread, it?s really silly to charge $5 for a developer app, when it has always been free and when Mac OS X is far behind Windows in terms of usage. Bad decision.