• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xcode $5 on the mac app store?

OOOOOOOO    192

As I said in another thread, it?s really silly to charge $5 for a developer app, when it has always been free and when Mac OS X is far behind Windows in terms of usage. Bad decision.

Go and register as a developer ... it's free and you will get Xcode 4 for nothing. You don't have to pay the 99$ a year cost for that download.

But for the App Store version ... sorry, $5 is non event. I don't think most people will even think twice about it. It's up to them I guess. I don't really see the big deal, but that's because I'm comparing it to other systems that cost a lot.

.Neo    1,834
3.2 is still free software. IMO this is a non-issue until Mac OS X 10.7 ships, if it isn't a bundled with the OS as the current version is then it's a marked change from previous policy, otherwise I'm willing to give them a pass with their accounting nonsense claim. I don't really blame them for being extra paranoid after their SEC run in a couple of years back and even if they were just trying to rake in some cash, XCode is good software, it's be a bargain at 10x the price now.

And then what? You need to fork over ?4 every time a relatively minor update ships? Because at this point software that isn't installed with the App Store won't receive updates that way and for some reason Xcode isn't being updated through Software Update either.

Where does that leave people who installed Xcode using the Mac OS X Lion Install DVD? Assuming Xcode 4 will still ship together with Mac OS X Lion.

+dave164    18

I think the first hurdle is to fork out for the $1k computer to run it first.

.Neo    1,834

I think the first hurdle is to fork out for the $1k computer to run it first.

Great input. :rolleyes:

+dave164    18

Great input. :rolleyes:

Great post. :rolleyes:. But seriously, WP7 and Android dev tools are free (apart from WP7 dev fee, but same goes for Apple).

However $5 seems like a bit of a **** take, I would prefer for it to be straight up free and covered in the subscription fee or pay more money for it. $5 just seems like they want to get a bit of money from everywhere.

.Neo    1,834

Great post. :rolleyes:. But seriously, WP7 and Android dev tools are free (apart from WP7 dev fee, but same goes for Apple).

However $5 seems like a bit of a **** take, I would prefer for it to be straight up free and covered in the subscription fee or pay more money for it. $5 just seems like they want to get a bit of money from everywhere.

Yeah one has to adapt right?

At this point all I want to know is how updates are being handled if you were to install Xcode through the Mac OS X Install DVD. Why Xcode doesn't receive updates through Software Update in the first place and you have to download and install the entire disk image all over again has always been beyond me.

Honestly, I think Apple suddenly asking money for things like Xcode and FaceTime is just silly.

amon91    41

I think they're charging because 4.0 is a major new release, not a 3.x.x update (which is included with OSX 10.6). My guess is 4.0 will come free with the 10.7 DVD, and subsequent 4.x.x updates will be free for 10.7 only. Could be wrong though.

Either way $5 is an OK price. Apple doesn't need to do anything to get developer attention anymore, they have enough market share to get developers anyway.

Southern Patriot    912

no, its a downlod only app

No, it is not. It does come on the OS X DVD. Updates to it, however, are downloaded from the developer site, not from Software Update.

.Neo    1,834

Okay, so apparently the version that ships through the App Store is just a regular DMG from what I've read around the internet? :blink: I don't really get how Apple is going to distribute updates unless they now show up in Software Update. I won't be paying ?3,99 every time they put out a point release.

Next thing you'll know every single update will cost a minimum of ?0,79 due to "accounting".

amon91    41

Okay, so apparently the version that ships through the App Store is just a regular DMG from what I've read around the internet? :blink: I don't really get how Apple is going to distribute updates unless they now show up in Software Update. I won't be paying ?3,99 every time they put out a point release.

Next thing you'll know every single update will cost a minimum of ?0,79 due to "accounting".

Point releases will likely be available through the Update feature.

.Neo    1,834

Point releases will likely be available through the Update feature.

Due to the way Xcode is being distributed (through a full DMG) I'm doubting that. You've never been able to download and install smaller update packages for Xcode, you had to download and install the whole thing all over again. No idea why that is. But even if they changed this my original question still stands: How do people who install Xcode 4 using the Mac OS X Install DVD (if still possible in the future) receive their updates if they don't have a paid developer account?

AJerman    761

Really guys, $5 for Xcode is still amazing, even if they used to give it out with the OS X discs. I suspect it will be similar to Facetime and will end up coming with the Lion discs anyway, but I'd still gladly pay $5 for it. $5 is nothing for a good IDE.

Rudy    457

Go and register as a developer ... it's free and you will get Xcode 4 for nothing. You don't have to pay the 99$ a year cost for that download.

But for the App Store version ... sorry, $5 is non event. I don't think most people will even think twice about it. It's up to them I guess. I don't really see the big deal, but that's because I'm comparing it to other systems that cost a lot.

free developer accounts don't give you Xcode 4 :/ Only paid

Due to the way Xcode is being distributed (through a full DMG) I'm doubting that. You've never been able to download and install smaller update packages for Xcode, you had to download and install the whole thing all over again. No idea why that is. But even if they changed this my original question still stands: How do people who install Xcode 4 using the Mac OS X Install DVD (if still possible in the future) receive their updates if they don't have a paid developer account?

All previous updated had to be done using the full DMG (I always hated when I'd use a beta version of Xcode and had to update pretty often...stupid internet caps :angry: )

.Neo    1,834

Really guys, $5 for Xcode is still amazing, even if they used to give it out with the OS X discs. I suspect it will be similar to Facetime and will end up coming with the Lion discs anyway, but I'd still gladly pay $5 for it. $5 is nothing for a good IDE.

Not if you have to pay ?4 every time an update is released.

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer    39

you dont?

AJerman    761

I doubt you do, and even then, yes, it would be a very good price still. Visual Studio costs $550. Sure, VS is a far more complex IDE than Xcode, but still, even if you had to pay $5 for new versions, you could upgrade 110 times before you hit the price of VS.

.Neo    1,834

I doubt you do, and even then, yes, it would be a very good price still. Visual Studio costs $550. Sure, VS is a far more complex IDE than Xcode, but still, even if you had to pay $5 for new versions, you could upgrade 110 times before you hit the price of VS.

I don't care what Microsoft's pricing is. If I was interested in that I would have bought a PC running Windows.

AJerman    761

I don't care what Microsoft's pricing is. If I was interested in that I would have bought a PC running Windows.

Regardless of what YOU care about, the point remains, a project of that complexity requires a decent number of developers to create and they all need to get paid. Is $5 really too much for you? That's not going out to eat one time, fast food even, and you've paid for your entire version of Xcode. If you're too cheap to pay $5 for Xcode then I'm not sure how you got a computer in the first place. And again, as mentioned, it will very likely come free with Lion when it's released, so you can stay on your current version and wait, or pay $5 and get the latest version now. Your choice.

Also, fact check, VS is $800, not $550, that's an upgrade.

• Like 1

.Neo    1,834

It's not about paying ?4, it's about Apple's new policy of randomly asking money for stuff that used to be free without providing a clear reason as to why. And yeah, I would like to know how updates are distributed before spending any money because I sure as hell won't pay ?4 every time a new 4.x.x update DMG is released.

WelshBluebird    95

It's not about paying ?4, it's about Apple's new policy of randomly asking money for stuff that used to be free without providing a clear reason as to why. And yeah, I would like to know how updates are distributed before spending any money because I sure as hell won't pay ?4 every time a 4.x.x update is released.

But there is nothing to suggest that will happen.

.Neo    1,834

But there is nothing to suggest that will happen.

I'm not saying it is. I just want to know how things are done now Apple distributes the Xcode DMG through the App Store as pointed out earlier, because personally I have no idea. And I wonder how Mac OS X Lion customers will get their updates.

All previous updated had to be done using the full DMG (I always hated when I'd use a beta version of Xcode and had to update pretty often...stupid internet caps :angry: )

Yeah that's insane.

Rudy    457

It's not about paying ?4, it's about Apple's new policy of randomly asking money for stuff that used to be free without providing a clear reason as to why. And yeah, I would like to know how updates are distributed before spending any money because I sure as hell won't pay ?4 every time a new 4.x.x update DMG is released.

It's the first time Apple has released a major version of Xcode that's backward compatible with the previous OS, usually they wait for the release of OSX and bundle them.

It kinda makes sense...especially when you consider Snow Leopard was only $29

.Neo    1,834
It kinda makes sense...especially when you consider Snow Leopard was only $29

Mac OS X Snow Leopard was only $29 because nobody would have bought it for ?129. :p

It's the first time Apple has released a major version of Xcode that's backward compatible with the previous OS, usually they wait for the release of OSX and bundle them.

Interesting, didn't know that. In that case it's not that bad I guess. :)

PyX    140

You need to fork over ?4 every time a relatively minor update ships?

I don?t know what you?re talking about. XCode 4 is far from being a minor update. That must have taken years to develop.

Honestly, I think Apple suddenly asking money for things like Xcode and FaceTime is just silly.

My thoughts exactly. They?re abusing the use of their own App Store... It?s so easy now to buy a $1 thing that they don?t care putting a price tag on anything.

Rudy    457

I don?t know what you?re talking about. XCode 4 is far from being a minor update. That must have taken years to develop.

My thoughts exactly. They?re abusing the use of their own App Store... It?s so easy now to buy a $1 thing that they don?t care putting a price tag on anything.

They charging for things that didn't come with the OS. When a new OS version is out it will include them (even new macbook pros include Factime)