• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xcode $5 on the mac app store?

.Neo    1,834

I don?t know what you?re talking about. XCode 4 is far from being a minor update. That must have taken years to develop.

I was talking about Xcode 4.x.x updates...

Jan    402

You can tell that the App Store has really set the pricing bar low when people all over the net are bitching and complaining about FIVE DOLLARS for a FULL DEVELOPMENT SUITE.

How much is Microsoft Visual Studio?

Visual Studio is free if you get the Express edition (It's limited but still free)

PyX    140

I was talking about Xcode 4.x.x updates...

I don?t think they will ever charge for that...

.Neo    1,834

I don?t think they will ever charge for that...

So if I have a Mac or Mac OS X Lion that ships with Xcode 4 on the Install DVD, how do I get access to updates?

PyX    140

So if I have a Mac or Mac OS X Lion that ships with Xcode 4 on the Install DVD, how do I get access to updates?

Aren?t they already included in Software Update?

Or maybe your Lion DVD can come with a Redemption Code...

OOOOOOOO    192

free developer accounts don't give you Xcode 4 :/ Only paid

All previous updated had to be done using the full DMG (I always hated when I'd use a beta version of Xcode and had to update pretty often...stupid internet caps :angry: )

Ok, well ... even so .... $5 is something even a teenager usually would have ... I don't think it's a big deal.

.Neo    1,834

Aren?t they already included in Software Update?

Did you read the thread?

Stetson    180

Did you read the thread?

Has anyone actually seen an XCode 4 update yet?

.Neo    1,834

Has anyone actually seen an XCode 4 update yet?

The final GM was released today, so nope.

PyX    140

Did you read the thread?

Yeah, you guys said we had to download the whole thing.

It doesn?t make me wrong saying it?s available through Software Update, or it has already been before.

The final GM was released today, so nope.

One more reason to have no idea how minor updates will be released when you will have Lion installed. ;)

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer    39

why is everyone thinking that xcode is going to cost another 5$ per update? People its like every other app in the store not matter who or where its come from, updates are free

PyX    140

why is everyone thinking that xcode is going to cost another 5$ per update? People its like every other app in the store not matter who or where its come from, updates are free

What he means is probably if you install Mac OS X Lion, will it detect that you have XCode installed and update them for free, or will it won?t bother detecting it because it was installed through the DVD and not the App Store and charge it?

Stetson    180

Because Apple is Evil and Greedy for charing an entire $5 for a major development suite update because they're releasing it out-of-band with an OS update. :p

.Neo    1,834

I don't mind explaining myself for the tenth time over: Currently there are two options 1) Get Xcode 4 through your developer account. 2) Get Xcode 4 through the App Store for ?4. What happens when Mac OS X Lion gets released, hopefully still with Xcode (v4.1) present on the Install DVD, and an update is released? I don't have access to a paid developer account, nor does the App Store give you access to updates when installing applications through some other means than the store. I'm not going to pay ?4 so I can receive the first minor update and the rest for free. In that case I end up paying for Mac OS X Lion + Xcode regardless.

Eric    1,604

There is a free version of Visual Studio called "Express," but it's mainly just for those who need Visual Basic and not everything else.

There's a VS Express for C#, Visual Basic, C++ and web development.

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer    39

you can also get pro version of Visual Studio through dreamspark as well if you are a student

virtorio    3,063

It seems obvious to me that Xcode is no longer free, and that everyone will need to pay for it (either though ADC or though the App Store). I very much doubt that Xcode will come free with Lon.

The AppStore doesn't contain Xcode, it contains the Xcode installer. When an Xcode update gets released they'll probably update the installer and push that to the AppStore, where you'll need to re-download + install it again. It's not great, but thats how Xcode has always been handled.

And for the record, anyone bitching about Xcode being $5 has lost any credibility with me they may have once had.

.Neo    1,834

It seems obvious to me that Xcode is no longer free, and that everyone will need to pay for it (either though ADC or though the App Store). I very much doubt that Xcode will come free with Lon.

Why is that obvious? Apple charges for FaceTime in the AppStore, but the new MacBooks and Mac OS X Lion ship with it by default for free.

Quillz    934

Okay, so apparently the version that ships through the App Store is just a regular DMG from what I've read around the internet? :blink: I don't really get how Apple is going to distribute updates unless they now show up in Software Update. I won't be paying ?3,99 every time they put out a point release.

Next thing you'll know every single update will cost a minimum of ?0,79 due to "accounting".

Probably. And yet other updates that used to cost money due to "accounting reasons," such as iOS updates for iPod touch, are now free.

All this accounting stuff is extremely complicated and almost impossible to understand unless you have a PhD in accounting.

.Neo    1,834
All this accounting stuff is extremely complicated and almost impossible to understand unless you have a PhD in accounting.

I believe roadwarrior already made that joke. ;)

virtorio    3,063

Why is that obvious? Apple charges for FaceTime in the AppStore, but the new MacBooks and Mac OS X Lion ship with it by default for free.

That is a value-added features to the OS. Xcode is a new development environment and Apple seems to be switched priority to developers with iOS / Mac developer accounts.

Even if it does come with Lion, Lion isn't out yet so again, $5 what's the big deal? On top of that, nobody is forcing you to upgrade. Xcode 3 still works as well as it did last week.

.Neo    1,834

Those a value-added features to the OS. Xcode is a new development environment and Apple seems to be switched priority to developers with iOS / Mac developer accounts.

If that's the case asking "only" ?4 for it makes no sense.

Even if it does come with Lion, Lion isn't out yet so again, $5 what's the big deal?

I'm purely talking about how Apple will process future updates. Next to that Mac OS X Lion requires a different version than Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

On top of that, nobody is forcing you to upgrade.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had no idea.

virtorio    3,063

I'm purely talking about how Apple will process future updates. Next to that Mac OS X Lion requires a different version than Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Deliver a different version of the setup via AppStore?

Unified Xcode installer for Xcode once Lion is released?

Who knows?

We're both speculating. The difference is I don't think a trivial cost for a major upgrade is even worth talking about.

PyX    140

Calm down, .Neo. They have the right to charge for such a huge application. It?s more the fact that it is a very bad decision to do it when you?re far behind the competition (Mac OS X vs Windows) that leaves me cold. You want developers to work as fast as ants building their little sand mountains.

They can?t charge for minor updates done to an Application. If they change an OS they can, but an app, nope.

.Neo    1,834
We're both speculating. The difference is I don't think a trivial cost for a major upgrade is even worth talking about.

Difference is you apparently still don't understand what I'm talking about. I don't mind paying ?4, I'm purely interested to see how Apple will be delivering future updates. Out of principle I do mind having to pay for both Xcode 4 and Mac OS X Lion, especially if the latter is being sold at the default price of ?129. At this point we don't know, so we'll have to wait and see obviously.

Calm down, .Neo. They have the right to charge for such a huge application.

The thing is Apple used to give out some nice perks with Macs, which made up for the relatively high hardware prices. Xcode was one of those perks. That's completely over now. Charging even nominal fees for extras seems completely ludicrous to me. Last time I checked Microsoft doesn't charge for Windows Live Essentials either, which to me is the exact same thing as FaceTime for example. Next thing we'll know is having to pay for major Safari updates too because it comes with a new feature or two.

It's a slippery slope Apple is on and it looks like they found a new way to get some extra revenue by abusing/milking the App Store. Again, and I can't stress this enough, it's not about having to pay 80 cents or ?4 even, it's the principle. It's not like we haven't forked over enough money to Apple already. ;)