Hawken

Saw this trailer today, decided to share it here, looks really impressive, considering the current state has been achieved in 9 months with a team of 9 people.

Screenshots:

M5hS8l.jpgrIhgsl.jpgZexiWl.jpgrcmLZl.jpg

All the info available for now is the official FAQ:

What type of game is Hawken?

Hawken is a multiplayer mech combat game. The focus is on creating an intense and enjoyable battle experience that captures the feeling of piloting a heavy war machine while keeping the action fast-paced and strategic.

What game modes are supported?

We have two unique team game modes, as well as team deathmatch and free-for-all deathmatch.

When will it be released?

When it?s done. We?re not done yet, but development is going well and we should have more announcements soon.

What engine are you using?

Hawken has been developed using the Unreal Engine from Epic Games.

What platform is it for?

This is unknown at this point. We are interested in bringing Hawken to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

How much will it cost?

We don?t know yet, but our plan is for Hawken to be a downloadable title that will have a relatively low cost compared to boxed games.

Official Site:

http://www.hawkengame.com/

Wow. It looks amazing! I'm very impressed with what they've done so far. With a team of only 9 people, I'd say that's quite an achievement. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this gem.

Thanks for the heads up. (Y)

looks good but i think the world is largely static and non-deformable. still, the art direction is very good and it may make for a good distraction from infantry-based FPS's.

First person view in a mech, yes I want. If it allows customization on the level of Armored Core or even support for mods. Oh heck yes I am getting this.

• 3 weeks later...

The cockpit view looks amazing!

Hawken-cockpit-2.jpg

Strange how mech games keep making cockpits that look like first gen F14 or even older jet fighters though, except they're even more pirmitive and don't even have CRT MFD's, much less a nice flat screen MFD's. I mean it looks cool, but I would expect future mechs to looks similar to a modern F14 or F/A18 with multiple flat MFD's and such :)

btw, wheren't they making a new Mechwarrior too... they've been silent since the initial trailers.

• 2 months later...

I completely forgot about this game. :(

Anyway, it's looking pretty good, and I like the fact that it'll be multiplayer-only. :) Hopefully this will fill the gap left by Phantom Crash. Obviously, it's not as light-hearted, it's more serious, like Steel Battalion, but Hawken is looking like a serious version of Phantom Crash, seeing as the mechs are as agile as they are in Phantom Crash, not slow and clunky like the VTs in Steel Battalion. Oh yeah, and no 40-button controller, either (although I did really enjoy playing Steel Battalion when I had it). :p

It looks like it won't cost too much either, as it's gonna be downloadable-only when it comes out. :)

would like to see more customization than they are talking about. But for what they have done on a 9 person staff with 3 of them being interns is pretty impressive. The game seems like it has some good potential.

Looks very interesting; I love the art style.

One thing though - when will developers drop the "lets use some Cyrillic letters that look like Latin ones because they are COOOOOOOOOL" bull****. It just makes the logo look kinda dumb and gimmicky to those who know the alphabet.

• 2 months later...

Definitely into checking this out, the latest episode of Gametrailers was at Kotaku and asked them about their "hidden gems," iirc this was the editor Brian Crecente's (sp) pick, so hopefully that got them some more exposure.

Can't say I'm into the First-Person Mech Shooter... I'd eventually get tired of the sluggish feel that comes with these types of games.

Too much a cluster-phobic feel for my taste as well.

Actually looks faster paced than I expected it to be. Sound was pretty damn kick ass as well. (Y)

• 5 months later...