8.8 earthquake in japan , tsunami warnings indonesia, russia

yeah i mean human casualties, injuries and property damage. Kobe was horrible, a lot of the city and nearby areas had to be rebuilt. this one will be more of a clean up effort, not that i'm trying to belittle this event.

yeah i mean human casualties, injuries and property damage. Kobe was horrible, a lot of the city and nearby areas had to be rebuilt. this one will be more of a clean up effort, not that i'm trying to belittle this event.

You do realise a tsunami rolled through afterwards, don't you?

I've got contacts in Japan and it is horrific.

Oh damn... I heard it today in the radio.... the footage I have seen in this thread is already terrifying.... my best wishes to Japan and all the other affected countries :(

I heard there were also warnings for the US West coast, any danger for Seattle reported yet?

Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20110310/sc_space/willmarch19supermoontriggernaturaldisasters

LIVE JAPAN news stream...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tbstv

ap_japan_tsunami_nt_110311_ssh.jpg

:| so scary!

I feel for everyone affected :(

I can't even being to comprehend the fear that must be swamping everyone there right now, I hate to say it, but the last few years have really been making a strong case for the 2012 sensationalists...

Frak. :(

That looks like something straight out of a end of the world movie :/, my aunt got hold of my cousin but I feel for everyone else thats worrying about there loved ones are. I can't even imagine what drivers in those vehicles are thinking when they see that big wall of water coming towards them thats scary stuff.

I'm glad Japan turned off most of there nuclear power plants because my biggest concern was what would have happened if one of those plants "melted down" for lack of a better word.

I can't even being to comprehend the fear that must be swamping everyone there right now, I hate to say it, but the last few years have really been making a strong case for the 2012 sensationalists...

+1

Man... But if those nuclear plants leak, it would be 10x a worse disaster :|

All our prayers are going out to the people in Japan and to those that lost their lives today. Be strong and you'll get over this horrible moment. If one nation can, it's you. Like many other said, if this earthquake was in any another country, the outcome would've been much, much worse.

Things like these make you realize (because many don't) how small we really are in this universe. Forget about money, wars, fighting over oil, land or any other things. All those things mean nothing when we could be wiped out from the face of the earth in minutes...

I'd have to agree with you there, even if the world might not end in 2012 it might be the start of the end, I keep thinking since I live in LA when we should be expecting "the big one" in the US :/.

I'd have to agree with you there, even if the world might not end in 2012 it might be the start of the end, I keep thinking since I live in LA when we should be expecting "the big one" in the US :/.

I had to look up the 1906 San Francisco Earth Quake and how the streets actually cracked and spread...the destruction back then. Kind of scary. But they've been saying for years there's a big one coming. :huh:

I'm glad Japan turned off most of there nuclear power plants because my biggest concern was what would have happened if one of those plants "melted down" for lack of a better word.

Technically, they didn't turn them off, the reactors "scrammed". That is, automatically went in to emergency shutdown when the quake was detected. It's part of their safety systems.

Unfortunately, one of the reactors has had a major malfunction in its cooling system and the problems is getting worse. Pressure is building rapidly in the reactor and it looks like they might have to vent radiactive steam to relieve the pressure. :s They've brought in some mobile generators to try to get the cooling systems online again, but its a race against time. Pressure is already beyond reference levels, though within engineering limits.

If that should go, we're looking at a new Chernobyl disaster... :s

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and don't like readin too much into things, but...

Isn't there quite a lot of weird weather activity in that area, NZ, Aus, Japan, Indonesia, etc... And doesn't it sort of follow a fault line?

I'd be glad if I were barking up a wrong tree here...

It's called Pacific Ring of Fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ring_of_Fire

Technically, they didn't turn them off, the reactors "scrammed". That is, automatically went in to emergency shutdown when the quake was detected. It's part of their safety systems.

Unfortunately, one of the reactors has had a major malfunction in its cooling system and the problems is getting worse. Pressure is building rapidly in the reactor and it looks like they might have to vent radiactive steam to relieve the pressure. :s They've brought in some mobile generators to try to get the cooling systems online again, but its a race against time. Pressure is already beyond reference levels, though within engineering limits.

not only that, but imagine how contingency plans would work? Their workforce would be severely split in two, not to mention how a radiation leak would put a halt on anyone going near, etc...

Let's hope they don't have to deal with that. The images of all the destruction and with the casualty count rising rapidly they have enough to worry without having to add a nuclear accident to the mixture.