• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

8.8 earthquake in japan , tsunami warnings indonesia, russia

FloatingFatMan    20,390

Let's hope they don't have to deal with that. The images of all the destruction and with the casualty count rising rapidly they have enough to worry without having to add a nuclear accident to the mixture.

Just off the BBC site...

2139: Radiation levels at the damaged Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant are continuing to rise. The Jiji Press news agency says the levels are eight times above normal. Its report also cites a ministry official as saying there is a "possibility of a radioactive leak".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Oh crapola...

Rudy    457

BBC now says 1000 times normal? :blink:

Yup :blink:

2149: The Kyodo news agency is now citing a safety panel as saying that the radiation level inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant is 1,000 times higher than normal.

Yusuf M.    1,367

I just saw footage of the tsunami that hit Japan and damn... it's scary. It wiped out an entire neighbourhood in less than a minute.

acnpt    39

This is kind of like the Three Mile Island incident, but not yet.

Twiddle    489

BBC now says 1000 times normal? :blink:

As bad as it sounds, 1000 times normal is by far not a big amount, in case of there is no more radiation being produced and the facility is on emergency shut down, the number just looks big (ex: 1 penny x 100, is one dollar) and is unnecessarily scaring people. (Though, I guess that would get them working faster, reverse-psychology-ish design?)

I am not saying this isn't bad, but it isn't yet, and I hope it does not get worse.

Draconian Guppy    13,038

It is bad, they've extended the evacuation ratio as well.

? Japanese nuclear officials say radiation levels inside a nuclear power plant have surged to 1,000 times their normal levels after the cooling system failed--

I wonder if one nuclear reactor could cause a daisy chain of reactions with the others near by? NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST :|

Japanese authorities have warned there could be a small radiation leak from a nuclear reactor whose cooling system was knocked out by the earthquake.

These are residents who were within a 3km (1.86 miles) radius of the plant.

But early on Saturday morning, local time, people living within 10km (6.2 miles) of the plant were asked to leave.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

IMO from experience, when they say possible leak it means it probably 90% happened :|

samsthename    0

i live in chch, where we've just had a massive quake which killed a lot of people and destroyed at least 10,000 homes. its nothing compared to japan!

Rudy    457

i live in chch, where we've just had a massive quake which killed a lot of people and destroyed at least 10,000 homes. its nothing compared to japan!

Where's chch? Google didn't give me much :/

(Reuters) - The U.S. military did not provide any coolant for a Japanese nuclear plant affected by a massive earthquake on Friday, U.S. officials said.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton earlier had said that U.S. Air Force "assets" had delivered "some really important coolant" to a Japanese nuclear power plant.

One U.S. official said he believed Clinton was told Japan had requested the material, that the United States had agreed to provide it, and that an operation to do so was under way.

Ultimately, however, Japan did not need assistance from the United States but Clinton did not appear to have been updated before she made her public remarks.

"We understand that ultimately the Japanese government handled the situation on its own," said another U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

LiveAndFight    7

(Reuters) - The U.S. military did not provide any coolant for a Japanese nuclear plant affected by a massive earthquake on Friday, U.S. officials said.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton earlier had said that U.S. Air Force "assets" had delivered "some really important coolant" to a Japanese nuclear power plant.

One U.S. official said he believed Clinton was told Japan had requested the material, that the United States had agreed to provide it, and that an operation to do so was under way.

Ultimately, however, Japan did not need assistance from the United States but Clinton did not appear to have been updated before she made her public remarks.

"We understand that ultimately the Japanese government handled the situation on its own," said another U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

So is it under control?

I don't think so, what article basically says is that japan said "we can handle it on our own" :s

Zer0_II    3

Al Jazeera English Live aired some amateur footage someone took from what appeared to be the second story of a house near the coast. It was by far the best footage I have seen of the tsunami, and the only decent footage from the ground I have seen that puts the devastating power of the tsunami into perspective. It showed the wave smash into several large houses directly in front of the person filming, sweep them off their foundation, and rip each one to pieces. Shortly before it reached the person filming the camera went off. I have been searching for it for hours, but can only find the same aerial footage that is being aired on every news channel. Can anyone please find this for me?

Ji@nBing    53

My God, look at this footage. Most of you have probably already seen parts of it, but here's a long 20 minute clip. At one point you can see a black dog get swept away. Later, you can see people trying to get away in cars and on foot. Some of them don't make it :cry:

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2011/03/11/nat.nhk.japan.sendai.tsunami.nhk

Scares the crap out of me as we are due for a 9+ here in the near future. I hope it won't happen in my lifetime as I live on an island and I'd be totally fracked.

Rudy    457

Where's chch? Google didn't give me much :/

Ok so I did a bit more research and figured out you might be talking about Christchurch... Are you really saying that the Japanese earthquake is nothing compared to what happened in Christchurch? A lot more people died in the quake in Japan and a LOT more damage was done. I'm not trying to under estimate what happened in Christchurch but the comparison you made is beyond stupid.

Both are horrible disasters and it's a shame they happened and you should not try to compare them to see who's "worse off"

Mr. Gibs    3,865

Ok so I did a bit more research and figured out you might be talking about Christchurch... Are you really saying that the Japanese earthquake is nothing compared to what happened in Christchurch? A lot more people died in the quake in Japan and a LOT more damage was done. I'm not trying to under estimate what happened in Christchurch but the comparison you made is beyond stupid.

Both are horrible disasters and it's a shame they happened and you should not try to compare them to see who's "worse off"

He said "it's nothing compared to Japan". So from that I assume he meant the damage caused by the Christchurch quake was nothing compared to the damage caused by this quake.

AnotherITguy    166

Folks, if i may, if you believe in a higher power, tonight when you rest your head on your pillow, please keep these nice folks in your prayers.

COKid    875

Folks, if i may, if you believe in a higher power, tonight when you rest your head on your pillow, please keep these nice folks in your prayers.

Or, even if you don't believe in a higher power, you can still keep them in your thoughts.

AnotherITguy    166

What :cool: COkid said

Frylock86    95

FLASH: #Japan nuclear authorities say high possibility of meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi No. 1 reactor - Jiji - @Reuters (Twitter) :|

Green_Eye    49

FLASH: #Japan nuclear authorities say high possibility of meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi No. 1 reactor - Jiji - @Reuters (Twitter) :|

That is absolutely terrible news!