8.8 earthquake in japan , tsunami warnings indonesia, russia

It's sad that this events happen, but we humans are still at the mercy of the planet we live on, we have no control over things like this, sad news anyway.

The nuclear plants are probably the cutting edge design, i just hope this event will pass and we as a race will help...

The force of the quake was so strong that it moved the island of Honshu 8 feet to the east, said USGS geophysicist Ken Hudnut. It sped up the Earth's rotation by 1.6 microseconds, according to NASA.

Friday's quake caused a rupture 186 miles long and 93 miles wide in the sea floor 80 miles off the eastern coast of Japan. It happened 15 miles beneath the sea floor.

:|

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/386c25518f464186bf7a2ac026580ce7/Article_2011-03-11-US-SCI-Japan-Earthquake-Science/id-e9fbb5efba5c4974a96815053af9906f

The nuclear plants are probably the cutting edge design, i just hope this event will pass and we as a race will help...

The one having the cooling problems for early on is one of the oldest plants on their grid and is about 30 years old so it's not the latest technology. The other one IDK. Anyways this is a serious problem and I hope they can solve it without mayor damages or more casualties.

FLASH: #Japan nuclear authorities say high possibility of meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi No. 1 reactor - Jiji - @Reuters (Twitter) :|

that must be the closest thing to , like, hell on earth, that i can think of ... if that actually happens

looks like most media is reporting meltdown is possible here "within hours" if they dont fix this.....

A meltdown is pretty much a runaway reaction. If they can't cool it fast enough, it's only a short matter of time.

I just saw new tsunami footage... waves taking down multi-story buildings.... Oh my God.... I'm awestruck about what I just saw, but at the same time, the true power of a tsunami is still undermined by the videos.

EDIT: JUST IN:

TOKYO (MarketWatch) -- Japanese nuclear authorities warned of a meltdown Saturday of the core of a nuclear reactor at a plant in Fukushima operated by Tokyo Electric Power Corp. (JP:9501 2,121, -32.00, -1.49%) , also known as Tepco, according to Kyodo News. Authorities said that there was a high possibility that nuclear fuel rods at the reactor of Tepco's Daiichi plant may be melting or have melted, Reuters reported, citing Jiji news. The Daiichi No. 1 nuclear reactor is about 240 kilometers (150 miles) north of Tokyo. Friday's 8.9-magnitude earthquake damaged the plant's cooling mechanism, leading to overheating that reportedly damaged the fuel rods in the reactor's core.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/japan-warns-of-meltdown-at-quake-hit-plant-kyodo-2011-03-12

It was told that tsunami was up to 10 meters and travels like 500 kmph. I think the size is not that much important, but combining with the speed of this wave it just a killer. I was watching the footage and even people with cards failed to outrun it, it just took everything in it's way. They even have on missing train they can't find. From what I understand these waves were coming for about one hour, that's why it went so far.

But another big problem underway. From what I understand they are relieving pressure in reactor by releasing some vapor, which is a bit radioactive. I don't think it is melting already as I haven't seen much news about that. If reactor melts down and protection can not hold pressure the whole planet might feel that. I don't want to see another Chernobyl disaster...

I was watching the footage and even people with cards failed to outrun it, it just took everything in it's way.

I've seen that video. I couldn't believe what I saw. Those cars.... Just gone, their drivers with them. :cry:

But another big problem underway. From what I understand they are relieving pressure in reactor by releasing some vapor, which is a bit radioactive. I don't think it is melting already as I haven't seen much news about that. If reactor melts down and protection can not hold pressure the whole planet might feel that. I don't want to see another Chernobyl disaster...

If a meltdown does occur they say radioactive stuff won't go more than 6 miles (radius). Still terrible though :/ lets hope for the best.

What's "odd" is that you go to BBC News / CNN and while they do have articles talking about the possibility of a meltdown, its not the main focus. You go to fox news and they have a giant image (or had) with giant text in bold saying NUCLEAR MELTDOWN POSSIBLE.

What's "odd" is that you go to BBC News / CNN and while they do have articles talking about the possibility of a meltdown, its not the main focus. You go to fox news and they have a giant image (or had) with giant text in bold saying NUCLEAR MELTDOWN POSSIBLE.

im not surprised... they might have been one spellcheck away from showing it as 'NUCULAR'

If a meltdown does occur they say radioactive stuff won't go more than 6 miles (radius). Still terrible though :/ lets hope for the best.

I'm getting mixed feelings on the nuclear plants.

Some seem to think they're on the verge of meltdown, others are completely downplaying the situation... :/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

Don't trust American news outlets. I'm sure they're accurate for the most part, but they like to exaggerate reality way more than you'll get on places like Reuters or the BBC. Sky News aren't much better.

Don't trust American news outlets. I'm sure they're accurate for the most part, but they like to exaggerate reality way more than you'll get on places like Reuters or the BBC. Sky News aren't much better.

Well yeh I only read the BBC nowadays since they're usually the least biased / most accurate...but was just pointing it out. And wow lol that MSNBC frontpage is :/

Remember that most of the people who went to fix Chernobyl reactor or what was left of it didn't survive very long and/or had some serious problems. Even with 6 miles of radius, someone will have to plug the hole, cover the reactor to stop radioactive dust going into the air. From Chernobyl in went to far, I think even US got radioactive dust. This would be quite a global disaster.

BBC News:

0731: More from NHK TV: People outside a 10km radius from the Fukushima-Daiichi plant should be safe. About 80,000 people live within a 10km radius of the plant, and evacuations of those people began at 1000 local time.

0728: NHK TV says authorities are pumping water into the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant to try to cool it but that the level of cooling water is sinking.

0725: Japanese public broadcaster NHK is reporting that cesium has been detected around the nuclear power plant Fukushima-Daiichi. It quotes an expert as saying a small part of a fuel rod may have melted, but that fuel is almost entirely inside reactor.

Doesn't look good...

0803: Japan's NHK TV also has that report of an explosion, which it says was "near" the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. The Tokyo Electric Power Company - which runs the plant - says some workers were injured, NHK reports.

0755: AFP says an explosion has been heard at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant, and says Japanese TV is showing a white cloud above the plant.

BBC News.

A nuclear expert that was on BBC says if a meltdown does occur it won't be a nuclear explosion like the one at Chernobyl since the processes were shut down at the beginning.

Official number of dead has now reached 1,000. :no:

---

Japan quake: Nuclear meltdown feared at Fukushima reactor

Japanese officials fear a meltdown at a nuclear power plant hit by Friday's earthquake after radioactive material was detected outside it.

Japan's nuclear agency said this meant fuel from one of the reactor's cores may have started melting.

Japanese media reported an explosion and smoke at one of the Fukushima plants.

A huge relief operation is under way after the 8.9-magnitude earthquake and tsunami, which killed more than 400.

Another 784 people are missing.

Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan declared a state of emergency at the Fukushima 1 and 2 power plants as engineers try to confirm whether a reactor at one of the stations has gone into meltdown.

Cooling systems inside several reactors at the plants stopped working after Friday's earthquake cut the power supply.

Japan's nuclear agency said on Saturday that radioactive caesium and iodine had been detected near the number one reactor of the Fukushima 1 plant.

The agency said this may indicate that containers of uranium fuel inside the reactor may have begun melting.

Air has been released from several of the reactors at both plants in an effort to relieve the huge amount of pressure building up inside.

Mr Kan said the amount of radiation released was "tiny".

Thousands of people have been ordered to evacuate the area near the plants.

Ok so I did a bit more research and figured out you might be talking about Christchurch... Are you really saying that the Japanese earthquake is nothing compared to what happened in Christchurch? A lot more people died in the quake in Japan and a LOT more damage was done. I'm not trying to under estimate what happened in Christchurch but the comparison you made is beyond stupid.

Both are horrible disasters and it's a shame they happened and you should not try to compare them to see who's "worse off"

Try READING the original post! The man said (despite living in a city that has just been severely damaged by an earthquake) that "... it was nothing compared to Japan". In other words, despite suffering himself, he could see that the Japanese are suffering far worse.

That is called 'empathy' rather than your 'self-righteous preaching'.

If the core is exposed to the air the now there will be a massive release of radiation but I've not seen any images of fire so that's some good news because smoke would help carry the radiation.

But there is still the threat of more explosions.

They really need to get it back under control, they last thing they (and us) need is for one of their nuclear reactors to have a meltdown (especially since it's not the only reactor having issues, they need to keep working on the other one and they can't if the area is irradiated)