is XP SP3 still a good OS for today's computing?

anybody still running XP? I have a ultra light laptop with C2D ULV 1.3Ghz/4GB DDR3/Intel 4500MHD with win7. Im thinking going back to XP? is it a good idea? battery life for example?

While XP is still good for use with old computers, for that laptop no. Windows 7 is much more efficient with modern hardware and far better supported. I don't recommend going back. :)

Here are some tips for improving battery life: Link

All our computers at work use XP. We're a computer repair shop. Despite what many people here will rant and rave to you about, XP is a stable, dependable system.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that when dealing with newer hardware, certain vendors have stopped supporting/supplying drivers for XP. As time goes on, this will become a bigger issue.

No, trust me, I'm a diehard XP fan and have it on computers under 4GB, but I won't dare put it on this laptop, half the stuff on this lappy won't even work properly if I do that.

while there is nothing wrong with windows XP it will not let you use the full power of that laptop, and it will probably not improve your battery life.

OS reliability hasn't been an issue since 2000. They all work well (except ME...).

The issue is never dependability. It's about whether or not the OS of your choice is able to support the hardware/software you need.

• Like 3

There is nothing really wrong with XP but I wouldn't go backwards from 7 to XP SP3 at this point. I'm hoping MS pumps out a SP4 for XP within the next year considering the amount of updates they have out from SP3's release till now. I end up doing alot of work on older systems that often times require re-install of the OS and besides slip streaming updates into a ISO you will have to usually spend 2hours updating via Windows Updates.

WinXP is still a good OS and it will be until they stop issuing security updates

And yet there's no reason to downgrade to it if you are running Win7

The only reason to downgrade is if you want to use some hardware devices/software - or upgrade to 7 Professional and use Virtual Mode.

As for battery life though, Windows 7 will be better since it has much better power management and more options in that respect. Windows XP is crap for battery life, it always was.

• Like 2

There is no reason to run it on current hardware and there is absolutely NO reason to downgrade a Windows 7 computer unless you need to run an old piece of hardware/software that absolutely won't run in Windows 7.

That guy better knows what to install . 7 FTW. :sleep: I wonder people are still asking questions about XP. :angry: :sleep: :blush: :shifty:

On Neowin, you obviously might get the message that Windows 7 is better and XP is the worst OS ever created. XP is a damn good OS, with better backward compatibility, good enough security, better usability, very light requirements and far better customizability. Windows 7 has stronger security, better graphics experience in everything and better networking. That's just my opinion.

"battery life for example? "

Where did you get the idea that dropping it to XP would improve your battery life???

As already stated many times already, there is little reason to drop it back to a 10 year old OS.. Now if was 5 year old hardware ok - but new hardware, new OS. Good luck finding support for modern hardware with XP. Have you even looked to see if the XP drivers are available for that laptop?

Your legally licensed for w7, what possible reason would you want to run XP on that modern hardware for??

• Like 8

Considering that XP is End-of-life in a few years, I wouldn't bother downgrading unless you have a piece of Hardware or Software you absolutely need in XP. Even then, I'd recommend using XP mode. 7's (and even Vista's) Power Management Features far outclass those in XP, not to mention the better support for new technologies (such as SSD's and Display Technologies like HDMI and Displayport)

XP is still a solid OS, but unless you need the old software and hardware support that XP provides, I see no reason to downgrade.