Desire system update

I have a desire on orange in the UK. I have been getting notifications that a system update is available. These have been at inconvenient times so I have delayed the update. It came up again today and I delayed it as I was busy. Now I'm free I checked manually for an update. However it says that my phone is up to date. I'm running 2.2 the software number is 2.10.405.2. So is this right. And if the notification comes up again what should I do. Is it possible that my phone is up to date and that there is some malware trying to get me to install rouge apps or code?

Any help would be appreciated.

If it was malware I doubt it would ask you to install apps, it would just do it.

I've had this problem before, the software update seems a little buggy. You'll just have to wait for it to popup again. Try restarting your phone as well, might help.

Restarted phone and still says no update available. Are you running a desire? What build are you running?

Yeah I have a GSM Desire, one of the early ones as mine has an AMOLED screen. It's the generic unbranded (A8181) version but I'm running a custom ROM on it now (Ginger Villain 1.5)