Whats the best Android phone, period?

Trying to look for a definitive answer.

Basically, what's the best Android phone that's either out now or will be out very soon? Money no object.

What do I mean by 'best'? Well, it's got to be (really) fast, well supported, has nice specs, looks great, feels great, and has a good feature set.

I'm thinking Nexus S, but I've read a fair share of negative things about it (most relating to it's design). What do you guys think?

There is no definitive answer. It's all opinions

(Y)

Yup, there is no "best" Android phone. They're all a little different and cater to different tastes.

The Nexus S is "best" if you're looking for a pure Android experience, but in my opinion the phone itself isn't very attractive.

The Atrix 4G is a powerhouse, but not a pure Android experience.

The Xperia Arc is ridiculously thin, but uses Sony Ericsson's UI.

You just have to read up/watch videos of all of them and decide which is best for you.

Edit: personally, I have an HTC Hero at the moment, initially bought in December 2009. My next phone will be the HTC Desire S. It's not the most powerful these days, but it's still a huge upgrade from the Hero, and for me is one of the best looking and all round nice to use (unibody design and Sense UI).

I considered the Nexus S, and the Incredible S, but they're both too big for me. A 4in screen is just beyond what I'm willing to live with. 3.7in is the sweet spot.

Basically I have an iPhone 3G, but I want something thats much much faster and much much more fluid and impressive looking. I am wanting to upgrade but I don't want an iPhone 4.. there's too many of them around!

I recently pre-ordered my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. Based on what they've been showing at CES and MWC I really think they're going to be extremely up-to-date when it comes to Android versions, and, while they do have their own UI adjustments, it does look a lot more functional and easier in use than any other Android experience I've seen before. Also, take the devices top-notch processor and GPU, the incredible screen, and the fact that it's incredibly thin, and you have an amazing phone! It even has a MicroHDMI-connector, that you can use to view videos on your phone in 720p, and even mirror the whole screen, whatever you're doing! Angry Birds on your flatscreen in HD? No problem! Not even any performance loss! Add the Bravia Engine and the great camera (especially in low-light conditions), and you have a total winner multimedia phone.

I personally think Sony Ericsson will be a lot better with future Android updates because they have a team that can completely focus on Android. All their devices use the same SOC, so they only really have to develop one firmware version, and I think Google likes SE aswell, seeing as they're pretty much the only company that didn't go with any other platforms (like Windows Phone 7) at all. We've already seen the Arc running on an (official!) Android 2.4, the first and only device seen with it, so they're already working on it!

Sure, it's not dualcore, but it'll be months before there is any real advantage to dualcore Android devices, and there are only a handful of them out anyway.

If you want the flexibility of full custom roms etc, go for the Google Nexus S, it's full stock Android, and you can do with it what you want.

(PS, I do not work for or receive money from or am in any way related to Sony Ericsson)

Just read your post above, if you want something that looks impressive, go with the Arc. It's incredibly, incredibly thin and light, and it feels great to hold! The display is simply amazing, the best around aside Nokia's Clear Black display, and when it's turned off/black, you actually can't see where the display ends and the border thing starts! They achieved that by sticking the display directly to the glass front, totally no air gap inbetween. Makes legibility under sunlight a lot better, too!

Basically I have an iPhone 3G, but I want something thats much much faster and much much more fluid and impressive looking. I am wanting to upgrade but I don't want an iPhone 4.. there's too many of them around!

Then I think you should be looking at the Samsung Nexus S, HTC Desire S, HTC Incredible S, Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc and Samsung Galaxy S II - perhaps a few others but they're the only ones I can think of at the moment lol.

The Desire HD might be a contender too, but it's huge (4.3in screen)

I love my desire hd. It has an awesome screen, its fast and fairly well supported at xda. But there's probably better coming out soon. HTC are probably the best at official updates but if its well enough supported at xda this won't matter :p

Yup, HTC Desire HD is just delicious for me. Stock rom is OK (fluid and somehow fast), but if you decide to go custom, Leedroid & Revolution HD are very fast, very responsive, very fluid roms.

Both roms cited offers 2.3 (Gingerbread) versions based on an HTC leak... and an official HTC 2.3 ROM should be available in the next few weeks.

I really recommend the D-HD. But, beware, it has not front-cam.

I'd go with the galaxy s 2, its upto you really just take a look at the ones mentioned and take your pick :)

I'd probably wait for HTC's dual core offerings, but that's because I like HTC's design and software etc.

You will probably end up rooting your phone somewhere down the line and installing a custom ROM anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about what software the phone has on it.

Clearly at the moment the SGS2, Atrix or one of the other phones being released shortly are the kings, but who knows what's around the corner? :D The SGS2 supposedly has an incredible GPU and screen so will be a gaming powerhouse.

I Love my Desire HD to bits! :D.

At first i though it was a bit big but now I'm used to it all other mobiles look small and insignificant in comparison. :cool:

iPhone 5 is a couple of months.

P.s There are more than 1000 android devices to choose from if you add the Chinees clones.

i tootle along with my rooted HD2 running MIUI custom ROMs......better than the native desire HD in battery life, run the undervolted g lewarne v11 kernel, with the PRL activated.....and i get 2 days easy out of the battery with medium use.

no wonder they call it the "frankenstein" phone, this thing runs anything you put on it.

win 6.5

Android

Ubuntu

W7

Meego

and the list goes on.

Specs wise, Galaxy S 2, but i have the original Galaxy S and i have NEVER received a upgrade for 2.2 on it, and 2.2 has been out for a long time. I would never buy another Samsung phone after the experience with them...

Specs wise, Galaxy S 2, but i have the original Galaxy S and i have NEVER received a upgrade for 2.2 on it, and 2.2 has been out for a long time. I would never buy another Samsung phone after the experience with them...

Are you sure? :|

check this http://galaxys.samsungmobile.com/specification/spec.html?ver=high >> Upgrade to Android 2.2 (Froyo) is available via Samsung Kies*

the * basically says it depends on country and carrier, so technically if you cant update it's not Samsung's fault.

Are you sure? :|

check this http://galaxys.samsungmobile.com/specification/spec.html?ver=high >> Upgrade to Android 2.2 (Froyo) is available via Samsung Kies*

the * basically says it depends on country and carrier, so technically if you cant update it's not Samsung's fault.

I use Verizon Wireless in the US and i've been waiting for a bit for the update, and following XDA and Android Forums, both of which state that it's Samsung's problem that the phone is not updated, not Verizon's.

try going with a custom rom with custom firmware. samsung is pretty crappy with updates. great hardware on their phones though.

I would wait the first "Google" phone with a dual core CPU. The Nexus S is already outdated by incoming dual core phones, but current dual core doesn't have the real Google Experience (read: best chances to get official update to Honeycomb when it will come to phones)

Every phone has its ups & downs.

But, an ideal all around phone would be the Motorola Atrix.

This phone is FAST (dual core)

Common, it wasn't too long when dual core came out on lap tops..

It seems like The Atrix is what you are describing in your question.

Try going to an AT&T store and play around with it, you'll love it.

Wait for the DROID Bionic from Motorola.

Heard some good stuff about this phone as well, coming out around summer (hopefully)

I am wanting to upgrade but I don't want an iPhone 4.. there's too many of them around!

You want the best of something, but won't get something because there's too many of them around? I won't say the iPhone 4 is the best phone there is, but it seems there's a reason for there being so many around..

I use Verizon Wireless in the US and i've been waiting for a bit for the update, and following XDA and Android Forums, both of which state that it's Samsung's problem that the phone is not updated, not Verizon's.

go to a verizon store and complain..?