Whats the best Android phone, period?

I just recently got a Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate).

It is a nice phone, love the size, considering I like to watch movies on it.

Flashed it with Serendipity ROM, after debating on taking it back, and that has changed my mind and made it so much better and faster.

Stock ROMs are not great on the Samsung Galaxy S', as 2 other family members have them with it stock and they freeze, are slow, etc.. Though that is probably a lot of user problems as well, but they refuse to flash/root do to "losing their stuff" which can be backed up, they don't understand.

Anyway, my experience with the Galaxy S' has been great for gaming, videos, the sheer size and quality (after flashing), and the great XDA support for the ROM as well.

Only one gripe is that there is no flash for the camera...Not that I care about that, I just wanted a handy flashlight, :pinch: , the flashlight apps don't really help much.

That's coming out is probably the Droid Bionic although it may well have a locked bootloader.

At present it's probably the latest phone to hit the market, either the Atrix on AT&T or the Thunderbolt on Verizon.

You want the best of something, but won't get something because there's too many of them around? I won't say the iPhone 4 is the best phone there is, but it seems there's a reason for there being so many around..

Most people have one because it's an iPhone. I've tried an iPhone 4.. and while yeah, it's fast.. it's still more of the same. Besides, I don't think the iPhone 4 looks too great. I don't really like the 'slab' like-design of it.. I'd prefer something with a tapered design.

Most people have one because it's an iPhone. I've tried an iPhone 4.. and while yeah, it's fast.. it's still more of the same. Besides, I don't think the iPhone 4 looks too great. I don't really like the 'slab' like-design of it.. I'd prefer something with a tapered design.

I agree, and as "sheepish" as people can be, if the iPhone experience was bad it wouldn't be popular..

But yeah, if reasons, like the design, aren't something you want, then obviously other phones would be better options.

Preferably a on-screen keyboard. less moving parts, less to go wrong. Sliding things make me nervous. xD

i tootle along with my rooted HD2 running MIUI custom ROMs......better than the native desire HD in battery life, run the undervolted g lewarne v11 kernel, with the PRL activated.....and i get 2 days easy out of the battery with medium use.

no wonder they call it the "frankenstein" phone, this thing runs anything you put on it.

win 6.5

Android

Ubuntu

W7

Meego

and the list goes on.

I'm with you. My HD2 has run almost every mobile os out there except for ios! Currently running a stock 2.3.3 rom and it works better than any of my friends' droids.

I may put WP7 after nodo, but I do love my android

currently available best would probably be galaxy S or LG 2X.. once galaxy S II has wide spread release it'll probably take over .... but thats just hardware and capabilities. In terms of android experience...HTC Sense is probably the most complete easy to use and nice adaption of android, however,their devices are averagely cool/alright not best performance or battery... motoblur and samsungs touch wiz and those ones aren't so great. But for software you'll usually always have rooting ability so loading other roms should be no problem so don't make it your key priority. look at the hardware and what suits you and what tickles your fancy in terms of looks... media ability, input, output, futureproof etc those kinda things that'll be your most common used things.

Any opinions on best unlocked GSM android phones? The one that seems to be most suitable at the moment Nexus S, hardware is great and already packs the NFC technology that will be getting popular later this year. I'm not too worried about dual-core or 4G at the moment as I have no use for the extra processing power or any intention of getting a data plan (have free wifi access most places I go).

Are there any other androids worth looking at?

Any opinions on best unlocked GSM android phones? The one that seems to be most suitable at the moment Nexus S, hardware is great and already packs the NFC technology that will be getting popular later this year. I'm not too worried about dual-core or 4G at the moment as I have no use for the extra processing power or any intention of getting a data plan (have free wifi access most places I go).

If you're after NFC and stuff better off holding off for more premium line devices... what the nexus S is, is basically a mid range test phone of the tech .. stuff like 384MB of ram is a bit on the low end of things and stuff.

certainly worth waiting a bit for the Galaxy S II if you want that tech NFC etc + the power and performance of a premium line device.

Right at this minute in time isn't best time to buy as there's end of the line froyo (2.2) devices and next line/gen devices just on the horizon. Once they've landed then you'll get a good choice

If you're after NFC and stuff better off holding off for more premium line devices... what the nexus S is, is basically a mid range test phone of the tech .. stuff like 384MB of ram is a bit on the low end of things and stuff.

certainly worth waiting a bit for the Galaxy S II if you want that tech NFC etc + the power and performance of a premium line device.

Right at this minute in time isn't best time to buy as there's end of the line froyo (2.2) devices and next line/gen devices just on the horizon. Once they've landed then you'll get a good choice

Problem with high end is that I won't be able to get it unlocked. I travel abroad frequently where it is easier to get prepaid plans for the duration I stay there, which means getting certain high-end phone choices are difficult without a contract. While Nexus S might be a mid-range phone in terms of specs compared to some of the more recently released androids this year, it is still a solid choice for average daily use. If the Galaxy II will be available unlocked, by all means I might be willing to wait, but AT&T usually does not play nice with that sort of deals at launch.

how you are able to use a smart phone without a data plan & not get killed with charges for data usage?

i plan on upgrading my dumb phone soon (AT&T). but not sure i want or need a data plan.

so i've been looking at the HTC freestyle with that new Brew MP os but that phones features, specifically the camera, are very lacking

Problem with high end is that I won't be able to get it unlocked. I travel abroad frequently where it is easier to get prepaid plans for the duration I stay there, which means getting certain high-end phone choices are difficult without a contract. While Nexus S might be a mid range phone in terms of specs, it is still a solid choice. If the Galaxy II will be available unlocked, by all means I might be willing to wait, but AT&T usually does not pay nice with that sort of deals at launch.

That's true, you could buy from abroad ... most other countries have unlocked devices. But probably best premium android travel phone atm available is probably droid 2 global on verizon (supports CDMA + GSM 3G). But stretching that far in terms of network compatibility, hardware and features and whatnot is pretty tricky... i believe at current only newer nokia devices and iphone are the only quad band 3G devices.

how you are able to use a smart phone without a data plan & not get killed with charges for data usage?

i plan on upgrading my dumb phone soon (AT&T). but not sure i want or need a data plan.

so i've been looking at the HTC freestyle with that new Brew MP os but that phones features, specifically the camera, are very lacking

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I have free wifi access in most places I go (home, school, library, coffee shop, etc). So, I may not be tethered 100% of the time, but it is good enough to check email and other stuff throughout the day multiple times. Makes no sense to spend $20/mo unless I actually need it.

That's true, you could buy from abroad ... most other countries have unlocked devices. But probably best premium android travel phone atm available is probably droid 2 global on verizon (supports CDMA + GSM 3G). But stretching that far in terms of network compatibility, hardware and features and whatnot is pretty tricky... i believe at current only newer nokia devices and iphone are the only quad band 3G devices.

Hmm, this is something I was considering. Droid 2 is already a bit old and lacks the NFC tech, which will come quite handy soon. Network compatibility is not really an issue since I use TMo in the US, so quad GSM should take of it.

Hmm, this is something I was considering. Droid 2 is already a bit old and lacks the NFC tech, which will come quite handy soon. Network compatibility is not really an issue since I use TMo in the US, so quad GSM should take of it.

Yeah galaxy S II if buy outside US has common 900/2100 3G [tmo uses 1700/1900/2100 i think] but has quad GSM(2G) and I don't think tmobile will be bringing the SII onboard as a device looking at a quick google... but yeah I guess depends on wants and needs :p to kill the cat though maybe bit on pricey side buying it overseas ... http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-i9100-16gb certainly if it ticks your boxes it'll be an excellent device when it hits.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I have free wifi access in most places I go (home, school, library, coffee shop, etc). So, I may not be tethered 100% of the time, but it is good enough to check email and other stuff throughout the day multiple times. Makes no sense to spend $20/mo unless I actually need it.

but what about the times your not in a WiFi area? how do you prevent the phone from downloading data so you don't get charged for it if u don't have a data plan?

my understanding of smart phones like iPhone & Android is that they are constantly downloading info to the OS & upgrades to the Apps. and there is no way to disable the phone from doing that.

The sales guy at the AT&T store told me that's why a data plan is mandatory for a smart phone.

or was i misinformed??

but what about the times your not in a WiFi area? how do you prevent the phone from downloading data so you don't get charged for it if u don't have a data plan?

my understanding of smart phones like iPhone & Android is that they are constantly downloading info to the OS & upgrades to the Apps. and there is no way to disable the phone from doing that.

The sales guy at the AT&T store told me that's why a data plan is mandatory for a smart phone.

or was i misinformed??

Misinformed. In a simple world they connect to the internet out the box you don't need to check settings or nothing and your good to go.

In reality, delete APN information disable mobile data and only cellular stuff will work and no data is consumed unless your on wifi or turn it back on. This will come at cost of slower less accurate GPS and stuff while on the go but yeah.

I would say the HTC HD2, never owned one, as others have said it can run practically any smartphone OS out there or the HTC Desire which is basically an HTC branded Nexus One with different styling, I have one, rooted running Cyanogenmod 7 RC2 and it's a solid phone, mine is the AMOLED version which is getting harder to find now.

I would recommend trying as many as you can in-store rather then relying on our opinions before buying.

<3 my original HTC Desire. Although I did have to get a replacement for my original AMOLED from the shop (Dead Pixel) and ended up with the SLCD version :(

<3 my original HTC Desire. Although I did have to get a replacement for my original AMOLED from the shop (Dead Pixel) and ended up with the SLCD version :(

From what I can gather the SLCD version gives the AMOLED version a "run for it's money" in the tests i've seen.

go for the arc. I cant wait to get mine, just need to save up some more though. I think sony learnt from its past mistakes and wont mess this one up.

What are your specific requirements, or what features are most important to you?

If you are happy running stock Android, and want updated versions quickly, go for the Nexus S (or if you don't want an extra large screen)

If you want ultimate customisation, i'd recommend one of the HTC Sense phones with the new experience (I own a DHD with SenseUI 2.1 and it's fantastic)

If you want a hardware keyboard, go for the Desire Z

Hardware is not that dissimilar across the range