Supermoon on March 19th

Look! Up in the sky. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's ... supermoon! That's what you'll see when you gaze into the heavens on March 19. It'll sort of be hard to miss.

On that night, the full moon will be at lunar perigee, the nearest approach in its orbit around Earth. But in this case, it will be at its closest proximity to us in 18 years.

With our neighboring satellite scheduled to light up the sky from only 221,567 miles away, some are wondering if its close proximity will cause any unexpected problems back on Earth.

We all know, most likely from elementary school science or episodes of "Nova," that the moon's gravitational pull on our home planet affects the ocean tides. But with the upcoming extreme closeness of the moon, will any tide increases trigger other possible problems, such as earthquakes ?

And according to John Vidale a seismologist at the University of Washington in Seattle, we'll never notice anything different about next week's lunar perigee. "It's somewhere between 'it has no effect' and 'it's so small you don't see any effect.' "

more

But with the upcoming extreme closeness of the moon, will any tide increases trigger other possible problems, such as earthquakes ?

Let's hope not.

nothing anyone can even notice :)

ppl are just making a huge deal out of it.

I am recieving forward SMS that its gona be the end of days and all of that BS.. i dont know who even believes that.

Sounds interesting. I'm assuming it will appear larger and with a greater clarity. Time to dig out the telescope :)

I've already got my 4" Dobsonian Reflector ready

Well this happens tomorrow, I plan to be doing not a lot all day and by the evening it better not arrive before anything good comes on tv :D

But seriously, if something was going to happen because of this we would be feeling the effects already, maybe even the first signs of something, maybe birds flying oddly? water going down the plughole a different direction?

At worst all I can think of is that its going to be a bit brighter tomorrow night when the moon is out, so long as there is not cloud cover. Or maybe I'm expecting too much gloom and doom with that statement?

OMG just realised? Have the pinky and the brain actually achieved their goal and the moon magnet worked?

If there are any earthquakes. they will blame the Moon.

and all I can say to these kind of people are deal with it. The Moon was here before you.

I read somewhere that tonights Moon will not look any bigger than what it usally is and that most of it is hype.

I have to say it did look amazing! The clarity and brightness was brilliant. It was a clear night so I was able to see the moon in great detail just with my eyes. :)

well yea i read the size would look the same but damn i cant believe it i can actually note it being bigger than normal.

but just a lil!.. and the sky here is damn clear!! so its a BRIGHT GLOW around it as its a full moon!

Wow :D love The UNIVERSE!

Too bad it seems like it's going to be cloudy all of today in my area with 95-98% cloud coverage...

Same here, I figured it would be my luck.