froyo 2.2 update battery life

Ever since my missus has had her Galaxy S (even on 2.1) and the Froyo 2.2 update the battery life on the handset has stunk, it hardly goes 24hrs without the battery dying on her, she charges it over night but by the end of the day the battery is critical or completly dead.

The wifi, blutooth and tethering (along with mobile AP) is turned OFF and even the screen brightness is all the way down.

Surely this cant be normal can it? Can anyone suggest any way to get more life out the battery?

thanks

Having wifi turned off and using 3g or 4g all the time will drain the battery more since the phone is constantly looking for a better signal. Using wifi will help, but my phone on 2.1 android has to be charged everyday as much as I use it!

I charge mine overnight at it's usually almost dead by midnight that day but i'm using the navigation, music, games and youtube ALL day. She could try going into applications in the settings, going to all running, and close any unnecessary ones and see if that makes a difference. It's unlikely but possibly there could be a crappy app draining all the battery in the background.

Don't know if the phones rooted/has a custom rom but if it does get the setcpu app and set it to run the cpu at the lowest possible mhz while the screens turned off, and even try setting it to a lower cpu speed while the phone in use, depending on what your doing you might not notice the slow down.

Also backup batterys can be had for around $20 (nz, so bout $10 american) but that's a lot of hassle.

Having wifi turned off and using 3g or 4g all the time will drain the battery more since the phone is constantly looking for a better signal. Using wifi will help, but my phone on 2.1 android has to be charged everyday as much as I use it!

turning wifi on would surely use more batter power wouldnt it??

I charge mine overnight at it's usually almost dead by midnight that day but i'm using the navigation, music, games and youtube ALL day. She could try going into applications in the settings, going to all running, and close any unnecessary ones and see if that makes a difference. It's unlikely but possibly there could be a crappy app draining all the battery in the background.

Don't know if the phones rooted/has a custom rom but if it does get the setcpu app and set it to run the cpu at the lowest possible mhz while the screens turned off, and even try setting it to a lower cpu speed while the phone in use, depending on what your doing you might not notice the slow down.

Also backup batterys can be had for around $20 (nz, so bout $10 american) but that's a lot of hassle.

The rom is the offical 2.2 update via the kies program, and in the list of running apps there is the following

3d digital clock - countdown service - running 16hrs+

software update - DM service - running 16grs+

Android system - vpsservicebinder - running 29minues

maps - network location service - running 16hrs+

drm protection service - omadrmconfig - running 16hrs+

googleframework - google messenging - running 16hrs+

plus a few others running

EDIT: ive just disabled the GPS location in the settings area, maybe that will help a little as well

EDIT 2: Just connected the phne to kies and its telling me there is a software update for it...... i didnt think 2.3 was out yet?

the update is PDA:JS5/phone:JPY/CSC:JP4(TMU)

turning wifi on would surely use more batter power wouldnt it??

Only if you take the phone outside a Wifi area without disabling wifi, because it will constantly search for wifi while remaining connected to 3G/4G.

If the phone stays in a wifi area, it will stay on the wifi and disable 3g/4g instead of searching for a 3g/4g signal constantly.

EDIT: ive just disabled the GPS location in the settings area, maybe that will help a little as well

Disabling GPS should help quite a bit, I know with my phone, after about 5 hours of having GPS disabled it drops roughly 30%.....not a huge drop, but in the same amount of time without using it (no use vs no use + GPS tracking) it only drops about 10%.

EDIT 2: Just connected the phne to kies and its telling me there is a software update for it...... i didnt think 2.3 was out yet?

Android's latest stable release is already at 3.0.1 apparently, 2.3 has been out for awhile now. But the update might not be 2.3, it might be an update for 2.2 from your manufacturer.

2.2 is suposed to improve battery life on several devices.

Maybe something is running in the background that uses up a lot of battery, try disabling (killing) software one at a time see if it makes any difference.

Regarding the wifi... I find that on my device if I turn it on it saves me some battery.

That said I have a device running 2.1 (official) (I don't want a custom rom at the moment, so I'm waiting for an official update) and my device's battery lasts me 2 full days. I check my email every 1 to 2 hours, use the Gowalla and the Seesmic apps almost constantly and do some web browsing.

I had my battery last me just 1 day before when I was using some apps that drain my battery like crazy, one of them was ADW Launcher (It might have been just my device, but now that I use Launcher Pro my battery lasts almost twice as long).

I have an HTC Aria w/ 2.2 (FROYO) and I have noticed the following (in terms of battery life):

1. Wi-Fi and GPS drains the battery the most

2. Browsing the market/Internet after charging will take a chunk out of the battery

The only apps I use are from Google and Facebook, so I only browse the market to check for

updates.

I set Wi-Fi to "sleep" after 15m (to use mobile data instead), rather than keeping it on constantly. I

also like to turn on PRL mode, which basically tells the phone to ask the cellular towers for the best

signal, rather than using 3G constantly.

well after killing the gps section on the phone the battery life has increased ten fold, its really helped also the update was 2.2.3