XP driver difficulties

Hello,

Im cleaning up an old laptop with a clean install.

I managed to create a custom xp disk, keeping the oem actavation files.

An acer aspire 3680 series, with now a clean XP home with sp3 installation.

After the install I did all windows updates (that came after SP3)

There is a list of problems I am encountering:

1. Wireless internet NOT working
  2. Yellow question marks in device properties
  3. Strange removoble media

The most important one, this is not working. Here are the details of my network:

Broadcom BCM4318 802.11b/g Wireless Network Adapter	PCI
Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller	PCI

I installled the broadcom driver from the acer support page:

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_3680.html

It installed the driver, but it does not find my wireless network (not any). There are two other laptops in the house, and many of friends that always worked in this house.

There are some strange yellow question marks in the device properties. I tried updating everthing with programs like drivermax and driver genius, but this also seemed to be the cause for the 3rd problem.

Screenshot of device manager:

properties.png

With driver genius I seemed to have installed in a driver that created some weird removable data in 'My computer'. How do I remove this?

removable.png

Could you guys help me with these problems?

Here are some more details (specs).

Acer Aspire 3681WXMi

Intel Celeron M processor 410 (1.46 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)

14,1" WXGA wide TFT LCD

Mobile Intel 940 GML Express Chipset

60 GB HDD

DVD-Super Multi double layer

512MB DDR2

802.1b/g wireless lan

A sticker on the back says this:

Broadcom BCM94318MPG

I updated the bios to the latest revision:

BIOS versie v1.3216

Does your laptop have any removable media slots, like for SD Cards? I imagine it does. Thats what those extra drives are for.

The first problem driver appears to be an audio driver. Try installing that as well? The next one appears to be the HDD controller. Does Acer have a driver listed for that too?

As for your wireless issue, many laptops have a button or switch that controls the on/off state of the adapter. Do you have a button with a little wireless/antenna icon? It could be one of your function keys. If it has a switch, it would be along one of the sides of your laptop.

Go to the ACER website and lookup drivers fro your specific laptop. There you should find your missing drivers for your audio and IDE chipset.

As for your wireless, is there a hardware button that turns it on or off? Check to make sure that is on, and check to make sure Windows is managing the wireless networks.

Ok, you guys were right about the switch. It was kind of hidden, in the front (where the lid closes). And you had to push it to the right.. wel fine.. its working now! Thanks.

Now the other problems, I dont really want to mess things up by installing drivers over other drivers. But why does windows say the audio drivers are not installed?

I allready installed audio driver, see my sys-tray:

systray.png

You guys are right, there are SD-card entries. But there is no SD-card in the copmuter so there shouldent be an entry in My Computer right??

Many memory slots will show up as removable drives, even when empty. Just like your CD drives. There are possibly ways around that, but that's another story entirely, and not actually a bug or issue.

And if you don't want to install more drivers... there isn't much we can do to help you. :/ Your images clearly point towards either missing or bad drivers. I don't know what your driver utilities got, but obviously they either found the wrong drivers, or missed some.

You wont mess things up by installing the correct drivers over the top of nothing - the explanation marks show there is no driver present for the device - listen to the advice and install the correct drivers

He already said he tried DriverMax.

Personally, I've never in my life had to use one of those stupid little utilities. Maybe I'd feel better about them if they had a decent free version, but as it is, I've always been able to successfully track down the drivers I needed on my own. And seeing as how I deal with dozens of computers a month, I think that says something...