Android market should deploy moderations

Android Market need moderators ?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should Android Market have moderators ?

• Yes, Google should do it..
    • Yes, appoint public mods (like forums, wiki, google groups)..
    • No.. Let it be as it is..

I am feeling pretty frustrated about a problem that me and many of my friends are facing..

Hundreds of apps, even from some reputed company like McAfee and such, turns out to be very misleading about there type and description.. Specially on the price point a view, where most of the time the "Free" stuff turns out to be a time limited Trail version.. Then there are few which says something and does something else..

3G aint coming cheap and these apps are wasting a lot of money by consuming data charges while installing..

I have been to the review, but most of the time, people just leave random text as review and actual reviews are not to be found upfront..

In my opinion, it would have been great to see few public mods like wiki and "Google groups" being appointed for the market place also, where they can take action according to the feedback and their own understanding. This wont affect google's policy of anything goes but should give poor users like us, who are on costly data plans, some relief in finding proper apps..

Also another feature would have been gr8 also, rating the reviews, and putting the top rated reviews on top for an would be user..

A vast majority of your average user would agree that cleaning up the garbage is not only a desireable move for Google to make, but that it should specifically be Google's responsibility (it's their market, after all). However, quite a few 'enthusiast' types, such as the ones you'd find around tech forums, will oppose the idea of moderation to their dying breath.

Yes, that's right, because only openness and unlimited availability of software held to no minimum standards can enable innovation and create great ideas. Sure, those great ideas will be impossible to find, buried under malware, crapware, copyware, and Google's inexcusably retarded categorization of apps (which so cleverly puts soundboards under games). And sure, the fact that a complete lack of standards almost assures the impossibility of new software to gain visibility--let alone traction--will scare developers off to other, more moderated market places where they might actually get some downloads.

But dammit, losing creative developers tomorrow is just the price we have to pay if we want to pat ourselves on the back today.

No, let those that want a walled garden, which is what "moderation" will eventually become, go to Apple

I have no problems finding apps using the Market, just need to use some common sense

@z0phi3l..

Wiki too is moderated and that is also open..

I am not saying filter before the app is added to market place, rather edit the title and price or such description if needed.. My point was not with what app it is, or what it is doing, rather my problem is with what its description is saying, the truth of it !!!

Pretty sure it says "trial" in the description of the app.

May be I am missing something here, please point me, for a app like, "McAfee WaveSecure" where in description it says "Trail" ???

May be I am missing something here, please point me, for a app like, "McAfee WaveSecure" where in description it says "Trail" ???

NOTE: This trial protects your smartphone for 7 days. If you want to always be on the lookout, you can get a subscription from www.wavesecure.com

That wasn't too hard for me to find. I just read through the description.

No, let those that want a walled garden, which is what "moderation" will eventually become, go to Apple

I have no problems finding apps using the Market, just need to use some common sense

You're oversimplifying it, which is ironic since openness overcomplicates.

If Android reaches 1,000,000 apps with the exact same model in use today, developers will be absolutely terrified of it. Users can only scroll through so many titles before growing exhausted of the experience and finding something else to do. If there are 300 different podcatchers, users won't have the patience to try them all, nor will they have the patience to just try the ones they see with a 4+ star rating (a rating system that baffles me since Google refuses to let you search or sort by it). The struggle for visibility will be overwhelming, and developers will prefer a market where they actually have a shot at being noticed.

Mobile markets aren't like software stores of old. We aren't walking down aisles where every box cover is face-out, waiting to catch our eyes. We aren't on BBSes and shareware sites where only a few dozen titles are released each month and we can easily familiarize ourselves with new products casually. We're instead presented with a useless Featured apps page, a 'most popular' apps page that I assure you has NOTHING 'open' and 'fair' about what classifies apps as popular. The only way to see new Android software in an unbiased stream is under recently released, but if you go there you're forced to wade through code vomit from crapware-churners spitting out soundboards, twilight icon packs, Yet Another Parking Game, and a few hundred questionable permissions requests that are never explained by the developers.

Google's Market either needs to moderate or give the user the Power of Sort and Filter. You can sit on your thumb and say you have no trouble finding apps, but you sure as heck don't clarify what you MEAN by 'finding' apps. Discovering cool, creative new programs? Or just using search to find something somebody somewhere recommended to you? Because the latter is easy even in the worst case scenarios--though isn't it odd that even when you type word for farking word the title of an app, 9/10 times it's NEVER the first result on the list?

This is why I'm looking forward to Amazon's market. Google has a failing model and they need a competitor to make them sweat a little and do some copying. The mindless open-nerd minority, such as yourself, that probably just barely tolerates star ratings at all (makes it hard for new software to compete!!!!!!1) out of a blanket principle of zero limits to an anarchist scale, will just have to cry about it and accept that once again, a controlled repository will always be more attractive than uncontrolled.

Even Ubuntu's controlled software library is more popular with novice/intermediate users (vast majority) than synaptic. Sryz.

/using 3rd party solutions like appbrain is just admitting that Google's Market by itself has shortcomings in need of repair. if absolute openness is always 100% the best route to take, then you'd have no reason to need to depend on outside developers to essentially 'skin' your system for it to be even the least bit usable

And that is potentially going to be Androids downfall. People in general do want a "walled garden". Why on earth should you have to be an intermediate to advanced user just to use a damned phone?

One of Apple's biggest selling points is it's marketplace. Google and others should take a look at what works and emulate it rather than the hodgepodge that is currently the android marketplace.

I am feeling pretty frustrated about a problem that me and many of my friends are facing..

Hundreds of apps, even from some reputed company like McAfee and such, turns out to be very misleading about there type and description.. Specially on the price point a view, where most of the time the "Free" stuff turns out to be a time limited Trail version.. Then there are few which says something and does something else..

3G aint coming cheap and these apps are wasting a lot of money by consuming data charges while installing..

I have been to the review, but most of the time, people just leave random text as review and actual reviews are not to be found upfront..

In my opinion, it would have been great to see few public mods like wiki and "Google groups" being appointed for the market place also, where they can take action according to the feedback and their own understanding. This wont affect google's policy of anything goes but should give poor users like us, who are on costly data plans, some relief in finding proper apps..

Also another feature would have been gr8 also, rating the reviews, and putting the top rated reviews on top for an would be user..

I dont know what apps you are downloading but on the market all are clearly said as trial (most of the times in the name) and the reviews of users are pretty decent.

I thinks its fine just the way it is. Improvements are always welcomed.

If you complain so much about data charges, you can always browse the market "off phone" : https://market.android.com

the app market is a (snipped) hole and badly needs to be cleaned up.

Android Market isnt. iOS App Store is moderated so I guess it isnt either. Windows Phone Marketplace just started but I imagine that Microsoft has that well controlled. What is this "app market" you are talking about.

Android Market isnt. iOS App Store is moderated so I guess it isnt either. Windows Phone Marketplace just started but I imagine that Microsoft has that well controlled. What is this "app market" you are talking about.

The Android one. I can't count the number of times I've read the description of an app, installed it only to find out it's total crap for what ever reason, often not doing what the description says, or doing it very poorly. I only download free apps, so my expectations are already really really low, but that doesn't mean everything should be so terrible.