Buying a Windows Phone 7 device

Which one?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which phone to go for?

So, after using a friend's Samsung Focus, I've fallen in love with Windows Phone 7 and the UI. Just plain awesome! I've decided to buy WP7 phone but can't decide which! Need some help from everyone.

I like the HTC Mozart's front, but its back is just plain ugly! (it is also quite thick!)

image5.jpg

The HTC HD7 has a much better back than Mozart but still not quite what I could live with :p

image5.jpg

The HTC Surround is too thick but has an almost acceptable back.

image5.jpg

The Samsung Focus is too 'round' for my taste (I like how the iPhone has round corners, but not too round - which is perfect!)

ATT_i917-Cetus_front1_600x600.jpg

I would buy the iPhone 4, but I don't see the point of getting one right now if the upgrade's coming out in June!

gallery_black_20110425.jpg

I know I'm being whiny and all, but I just want the best looks and the thinnest phone I can get!

I used to think the Mozart's back was ugly too, but after seeing it in person it'd probably my favourite looking WP7 device out there, not including the LG Optimus 7. So I vote Mozart =P

Or wait two & and half months for the iPhone 5... which'll probably be noticeably higher specced than these things.

@ KavazovAngel They all have the same CPU - though the LG Optimus and HTC Trophy//Surround seem to have slightly lower frame rates than the rest of the devices .__.

Well, I guess it's a trip to the store and check them out myself, then :D

It's funny how the Trophy is a 'gaming' phone and the Mozart a 'music' phone yet they all have the same specifications? Haha

When I was at the T-Mobile store I played with the HD7 and thought it felt pretty good in my hand. Have you tried all of these phones in person yet?

When I was at the T-Mobile store I played with the HD7 and thought it felt pretty good in my hand. Have you tried all of these phones in person yet?

I'm gonna do just that, maybe on Monday, though. Need to find a store that has these phones (not sure if there are many here :()

What, no LG in the options? My Optimus 7 is feeling sad.

I checked the Optimus online, not quite what I want (like I said in the description. 'round, but not too round' :p)

Well in that case, if I just had those to pick from I'd go with the HD7.

I would love to try Windows 7 Phone as my next phone, but I absolutely hate the hardware it runs on so far. :/ Hopefully something better will come around by June this year. IMO, the iPhone 4 still is the best looking phone out there.

I like the HTC Trophy that I have, though right now I'd say hold off on any WP7 device until a few others come out.

@ KavazovAngel They all have the same CPU - though the LG Optimus and HTC Trophy//Surround seem to have slightly lower frame rates than the rest of the devices .__.

QSD8650 vs QSD8250, surely something is better?

But I see conflicts about the CPU, some sites report that its using QSD8650, while others report that its using QSD8250.

Is the lack of flash support for the windows phone 7 a problem for anyone? or did they build a add in for that already?

Also, have anyone taken a look at the Dell Venue Pro, it looks pretty good when I saw a video when they showed a side by side comparison between the HD7 and the venue pro.

Also in the video it says the dell venue pro has 256 mb of ram is wrong, i checked with dell, it has 512mb of ram.

I would love to try Windows 7 Phone as my next phone, but I absolutely hate the hardware it runs on so far. :/ Hopefully something better will come around by June this year. IMO, the iPhone 4 still is the best looking phone out there.

I am eager to see what other phones come out as well (Particularly to Verizon). I really like the Focus, but am hoping the phones start shipping with more storage capacity...

HD7 is only real decent choice you have..

in regards to hardware all HTC WP7 devices at the moment use the same processor along with the LG optimus 7 and quantum.

"HTC HD2, HTC 7 Mozart, HTC 7 Surround, HTC 7 Trophy, HTC HD7, HTC 7 Pro

QSD8250 1 GHz ARMv7 Scorpion Adreno 200 65 nm"

Infact just for the record this is the list of all or most devices using the above processor

Acer Stream/Liquid, Acer neoTouch S200, Dell Venue Pro (Lightning), Dell Streak, Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile REGZA Phone T-01C, HP Compaq AirLife 100, HTC Desire, HTC HD2, HTC 7 Mozart, HTC 7 Surround, HTC 7 Trophy, HTC HD7, HTC 7 Pro, Google Nexus One, Huawei SmaKit S7, Lenovo LePhone, LG eXpo, LG Optimus 7, LG Optimus Q, LG Optimus Z, LG Quantum, LG Panther, Pantech IM-A600S, Sharp LYNX SH-10B, Sharp LYNX 3D SH-03C, Samsung Focus, Samsung Omnia 7, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Toshiba dynapocket T-01B/KG01, Toshiba TG01/TG02/TG03.

HD7 is only real decent choice you have..

in regards to hardware all HTC WP7 devices at the moment use the same processor along with the LG optimus 7 and quantum.

"HTC HD2, HTC 7 Mozart, HTC 7 Surround, HTC 7 Trophy, HTC HD7, HTC 7 Pro

QSD8250 1 GHz ARMv7 Scorpion Adreno 200 65 nm"

What makes HTC the only decent choice? I have been pretty happy with my Dell Venue Pro. There is a lot of reason to shop around for the device you like since right now the specs between devices are identical except for storage capacity pretty much.

Also, ALL WP7 devices use the same CPU, no matter who made the handset.

Take a look at the phones in the store. I have the HTC HD7, and after I picked it up in the store I wanted it. Also, the back looks nicer in-person than it does in that picture. In fact, it doesn't even look like the picture - the orange/gold around the camera doesn't exist. Also, the shape is rounded on the back, and the edges are angled - this helps you keep a better grip on the phone and makes it more comfortable to hold - remember, it's a phone :p

i'm pretty happy with htc 7 trophy. two of my mates have the mozart and have no end of application problems. i've had no problems with it from the beginning, everything just works, and i LOVE the slick UI of WP7!!!

my main gripe with the phone isn't the phones fault, it's the stupid carrier i'm on, stupid vodafone au!!!

After that Venue vs. HD7 video, I'm falling for the AMOLED screen :p

Grr, why is it so hard to buy a phone these days? :(

• 2 months later...

QSD8650 vs QSD8250, surely something is better?

But I see conflicts about the CPU, some sites report that its using QSD8650, while others report that its using QSD8250.

QSD8250 - GSM

QSD8650 - GSM + CDMA