Turn off HDD spin down? [Windows 7]

Is there any way of disabling this feature?

My two sata-disks spin down after a while and sometimes it makes explorer.exe to crash, and it takes a while before i can enter dirs on the hdds.

Yea I hate this feature on desktops too, makes sense on battery power, why it would be default on mains power is beyond me -

1) Bring electricity bill down.

2) Save the planet when idle.

3) Reduce ware and tare.

3) Reduce ware and tare.

Having your hard drive spin up and down constantly does not reduce wear and tear; quite the opposite. As for the electric bill I doubt the the increase is even noticable, but I'll gladly pay the extra penny to not have to put up with the annoyance of it.

I have an external hard drive, Samsung Story Station, that spins down after just a few minutes and takes an eternity to spin up again, lagging the whole system. Unfortunately it seems this function is built into the firmware and cannot be turned off. :(

3) Reduce ware and tare.

1. By an Unnoticeable amount

2. Huh ?

3. No - keeping it spinning will reduce wear and tear a great deal more than have it spin down and back up every 20 mins

I have an external hard drive, Samsung Story Station, that spins down after just a few minutes and takes an eternity to spin up again, lagging the whole system. Unfortunately it seems this function is built into the firmware and cannot be turned off. :(

Had the same issue with my Drobo, the solution was a Cron task setup to dump a 50mb empty file onto the root of the drive and then delete it every few minutes. Worked perfectly. Don't see why it wouldn't work on Windows too.

3) Reduce ware and tare.

Wears out the harddrive too.. u no its a mechanical thing.. :whistle:

But surely setting your hard drive to spin down after, let's say, an hour, makes sense? One would assume that by that point, you have left your computer and its ok for everything to go idle.

But surely setting your hard drive to spin down after, let's say, an hour, makes sense? One would assume that by that point, you have left your computer and its ok for everything to go idle.

that's what sleep mode is for, surely?

How so, if you have multiple harddrives in a system and you are only browsing or playing a game, then when you come to access a file on another drive you have to wait for it to spin up.

that's what sleep mode is for, surely?

What if I'm torrenting something to one drive, and the other isn't being used?

I'm honestly asking, as this is how I have my computer set up currently, and I was wondering if it makes sense.

My computer does go to sleep (well, hibernate actually) after a couple hours too, but certain background tasks prevent that, such as torrents, in which case I'd like as much of the computer to go into idle as possible, while still doing what needs to be done.