Bad CPU or Bad Motherboard?

Just rigged my new system up and receiving no video, no beeps, no nothing, nada. Here's the system:

AMD Athlon II X3 Tri Core 455 3.30GHz (Socket AM3)
Asus M4A78LT-M 760G (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
OCZ Special OPS 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel

So far I've tried:

- Clearing cmos (removing battery, waiting, and changing jumper and back)

- No RAM

- Power supply in other system, works fine

- Removing all hard drives and dvd drives

But to no avail, same problem. I'm guessing it's the CPU or mothboard, but can't be sure as I've no other AM3 processor to test and no way to get hold of one. What a pickle. Anyone know a way of pinpointing the problem?

The only way I am aware of identifying a CPU or Motherboard problem once everything else is identified as working, is to use a known-good CPU, or known-good motherboard. Or pick up a PCI motherboard tester...it will tell you whether or not the motherboard is seeing the CPU, if not then it's the CPU.

One other thing though, do you get any power at all? Do any fans spin up, or any lights come on? If not it is most likely the motherboard....with a good motherboard even without a CPU in the socket, you should at least get fans that turn on and what not.

Sorry, yes the fans come on but it's unusual as if I plug a pci-e graphics card in I can hear that the fan on it's heatsink alternates between slowing down and speeding up over and over again, quite quickly. So the fans have power but something's up.

A computer won't run without RAM.

I see.., well still doesn't work with one stick in, 2 sticks, or in any combination of ports anyway so it's not that.

^ this.

sometimes the case may be the problem, causing a short which will prevent the machine starting but to safe further damage, do it on a sensible surface (as opposed to a carpet), free from dust, dirt and other debris. May be more sensible to build it into another case if that is an option.

A computer won't run without RAM.

It should still beep to tell you the RAM is missing which suggests to me the motherboard is not working correctly.

Just as an aside are you sure the CPU is correctly seated?

Does the motherboard support that CPU out of the box? The board may need a BIOS update. I built a PC a couple of weeks ago and got the same results you're getting and it turned out the BIOS needed an update to recognize the X3 CPU.

Does the motherboard support that CPU out of the box? The board may need a BIOS update. I built a PC a couple of weeks ago and got the same results you're getting and it turned out the BIOS needed an update to recognize the X3 CPU.

Oh that's cute -- how do you update the BIOS without a working CPU .... hehe :laugh:

Buy.com says:

Processor Support:

Athlon II X4

Athlon II X3

Athlon II X2

Phenom II X4

Phenom II X3

Phenom II X2

Phenom II

Sempron

lack of beeps maybe 1 make sure speaker for beeping is on the other thing is check your plugged into the onboard gfx slot if you have a dedicated gpu.

also check psu has enough power for the system other then that it'll more then likely be the mobo which would RMA first.

a) most modern motheboard include a led indicating that it is energized (even when it is OFF).

b)the cpu fan is active when you start it?.

c)and finally, the power button is correctly connected?. Remember that the power button is connected to the motherboard and not to the PSU.

Yeah tried everything and double checked everything. Still nothing. The internal speaker is definitely hooked up and no beeps so I'm guessing it's a dead board but I'm going to get both the mobo and cpu exchanged anyway to be sure.