Do NOT buy the HTC Thunderbolt

Went out and bought the HTC Thunderbolt yesterday. On the whole it's actually a really good phone. Fast, good cameras (although zoom is lackluster), 32Gb pre-installed ontop of internal memory, nice screen and display etc. etc.

But (and here's the kicker) the battery life is absolutely shocking. On a full charge, with virtually nothing running in the background except the usual HTC Sense etc. Wifi, GPS etc. turned off. I got between 4-5 hours on a full charge.

I thought OK, maybe battery wasn't really fully charged with it being sitting in a warehouse for days so hooked it up and put a full charge in it with the same results, 4-5 hours.

Tried another test. Turned on Wifi, GPS and wifi hub, battery life went down to roughly 3 hours.

This is absolutely ridiculous for a phone.

Smartphone batteries need breaking in. Keep discharging and fully recharging it. It'll get better.

What, I thought you didn't have to do that for Li-Ion/Li-Poly batteries.

What, I thought you didn't have to do that for Li-Ion/Li-Poly batteries.

No, you do. The batteries do get better, though that 4-5 hours will probably just turn in to 5-6 hours.

Smartphone batteries need breaking in. Keep discharging and fully recharging it. It'll get better.

That's news to me. I'll give it a few more days and if it doesn't get any better then I'm afraid I'm going to have to return this phone. Shame as I like the phone but not being able to go even a day at work without it dying is totally useless.

Been off the charger for an hour...almost 2 and down to 90% on mine. 65% of my battery use is from the display lol. Display likes its juice :)

I am going to give it a few days and see how it pans out. Would like to be able to get through my work day atleast ha ha.

Anyway its a 1400 mAh battery. I don't think its very bad.

How does the battery size alone make it not so bad? What the power usage is plays a major factor on if a 1400mAh battery is too small or too big... The size alone means nothing...

Anyway its a 1400 mAh battery. I don't think its very bad.

Seidio has a 1600 mAh slim battery available as well for a tad more juice.

Maybe you have to disable 4G somehow so it won't be looking for a signal or something?

No one has found a way to do so yet I believe. So far I am hearing it is not possible at this time. I hope it is something that is added in a future update.

did you turn off 4G?.. it might be actively looking for 4G network but since ur area doesnt have any its wasting battery

You can't. There isn't a setting to turn off 4G.

Seidio has a 1600 mAh slim battery available as well for a tad more juice.

Interested if it's definately compatible. Do you have a link?

You can't. There isn't a setting to turn off 4G.

Interested if it's definately compatible. Do you have a link?

http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/basi16htmec.htm

If you go to their main site, they have the TB listed and clicking that provides all of the accessories compatible. It's $50 bucks, but I hate Extended batteries because of the bump so I ordered it to give it a shot...I will let you know how it goes when I get it.

Been off the charger for an hour...almost 2 and down to 90% on mine. 65% of my battery use is from the display lol. Display likes its juice :)

Well, according to this guy, having the display on for 78% of a 3 hr 45 min period counts as extremely heavy usage and is perfectly reasonable battery life for that usage.

All I can say is that's complete bull**** and HTC have ****ed up.

Well, according to this guy, having the display on for 78% of a 3 hr 45 min period counts as extremely heavy usage and is perfectly reasonable battery life for that usage.

All I can say is that's complete bull**** and HTC have ****ed up.

HA! They should have designed the phone to take a larger battery...period. Yea yea, you can get an extended battery, but come on! Still at 90% after taking some calls....we shall see. Display is now 54% and voice calls 15%.

http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/basi16htmec.htm

If you go to their main site, they have the TB listed and clicking that provides all of the accessories compatible. It's $50 bucks, but I hate Extended batteries because of the bump so I ordered it to give it a shot...I will let you know how it goes when I get it.

Thanks. Says it's the same size and fits so shouldn't be a bump.

From the description, found it on Amazon for $5 less :-

Battery

root it and underclock it during down time might help... in general though HTC isn't known for their battery life... take the HTC desire for example at most on moderate usage you'll get 24 hours usually and only about 12 with relatively heavy usage.

Their is a way just pull out the sin card that hiding at the bottom of the battery

No one has found a way to do so yet I believe. So far I am hearing it is not possible at this time. I hope it is something that is added in a future update.