Do NOT buy the HTC Thunderbolt

Charge it as often as possible and over a period of 2 weeks your battery will improve, head over to xda aswell see if they have any custom roms - they usually increase battery life also

Went out and bought the HTC Thunderbolt yesterday. On the whole it's actually a really good phone. Fast, good cameras (although zoom is lackluster), 32Gb pre-installed ontop of internal memory, nice screen and display etc. etc.

But (and here's the kicker) the battery life is absolutely shocking. On a full charge, with virtually nothing running in the background except the usual HTC Sense etc. Wifi, GPS etc. turned off. I got between 4-5 hours on a full charge.

I thought OK, maybe battery wasn't really fully charged with it being sitting in a warehouse for days so hooked it up and put a full charge in it with the same results, 4-5 hours.

Tried another test. Turned on Wifi, GPS and wifi hub, battery life went down to roughly 3 hours.

This is absolutely ridiculous for a phone.

Dude....

My EVo was the same way until I rooted it and installed a custom ROM with absolutely NO Sprint garbage or 3rd party appz. Just plain Android and now the battery lasts me all day. My advice to you:

1. Root your phone

2. Install a custom Android ROM

3. Be happy

Dude....

My EVo was the same way until I rooted it and installed a custom ROM with absolutely NO Sprint garbage or 3rd party appz. Just plain Android and now the battery lasts me all day. My advice to you:

1. Root your phone

3. Be happy

Or you could save yourself the hassle and just not buy the device...

If you have to go through all of that in the hope of having a usable phone then you are left wondering what it is that you're paying HTC to do?

Usually you don't buy a product that doesn't work out of the box...

Dude....

1. Root your phone

3. Be happy

The phone should work properly out of the box... unless this is supposed to be a geekphone, as Linux is as an OS.

The phone should work properly out of the box... unless this is supposed to be a geekphone, as Linux is as an OS.

I did the same to my Desire and now it lasts about 1-2 days instead of 1/2 a day-1 day, depending on usage so it proves that rooting and a custom ROM is the way to go to get better battery life.

Yes it's technically a geekphone, at least by your way of thinking, as it's based on Linux. By comparison my HD7 didn't work "properly out of the box" until HTC provided an update so, no, phones do not work properly out of the box.

I did the same to my Desire and now it lasts about 1-2 days instead of 1/2 a day-1 day, depending on usage so it proves that rooting and a custom ROM is the way to go to get better battery life.

The phone should work properly out of the box...

My 9700 gets 3 days battery with wifi turned on. As Pandya said earlier, iOS and WP7 devices manage decent battery life just fine. There is just no excuse for battery life to be poor out of the box. All phones should be able to last a day, easily. Dying after 6 hours is unacceptable.

I almost contemplate turning my 3G off on my iPhone 4, just so I can get two days out of it. I hate charging my phone daily. That sucks for the Thunderbolt though, It looks like a really great phone.

My 9700 gets 3 days battery with wifi turned on. As Pandya said earlier, iOS and WP7 devices manage decent battery life just fine. There is just no excuse for battery life to be poor out of the box. All phones should be able to last a day, easily. Dying after 6 hours is unacceptable.

Yeah, but the Blackberry lasts forever on a single charge. We're talking about Android here!!!!

WP7 doesn't multitask 3rd party apps yet which is the biggest battery killer.

Yeah, but the Blackberry lasts forever on a single charge. We're talking about Android here!!!!

Huh? Yes we are talking about Android, by comparing it to the competitors. It's called a 'comparison'. You know, how things are normally judged? It highlights a flaw in the system that should probably have been sorted before releasing such a battery-hungry device.

If you want to really get into Android discussion: why, if it's an open source platform, doesn't Google and the OEMs use the custom ROMs to see where they can improve battery life on their stock OS releases? Rather than release devices with poorer battery life than they're capable of and rely on the community to fix it for them.

Just admit there's a problem with battery life here. It's ludicrous how many people on the internet are trying to claim there isn't.

Huh? Yes we are talking about Android, by comparing it to the competitors. It's called a 'comparison'. You know, how things are normally judged? It highlights a flaw in the system that should probably have been sorted before releasing such a battery-hungry device.

If you want to really get into Android discussion: why, if it's an open source platform, doesn't Google and the OEMs use the custom ROMs to see where they can improve battery life on their stock OS releases? Rather than release devices with poorer battery life than they're capable of and rely on the community to fix it for them.

Just admit there's a problem with battery life here. It's ludicrous how many people on the internet are trying to claim there isn't.

Hey chillout, i'm not disagreeing with you. All i'm saying is that when rooting and installing a custom ROM on an Android device i'm getting better battery life, so it shows that stock ROMs are not optimised.

However, the HD7 I own has better battery life with an update from the OEM, confusing isn't it? :blink:

I've been doing a little test with the HD7 now, and I originally thought the battery was pretty lame. But that was about 2-3 hours playing games and watching movies during the day, and it would only last me about 6 hours. It's now been on for around 20 hours after being fully charged with the only usage being to make a few phone calls and about 40-50 texts, no WiFi/3G and medium brightness. Judging by the battery indicator it's around 75% full. Quite happy with the battery now, the games must really take a toll on it! But it is a new(ish) phone and i'm still having fun playing around with it. :)

Compare the batteries and the running options. **edit**. I'm pretty shure with all the stuff that things got broadcasting, yea it's battery is going to crash, Especially with pure carrier android,,,,my iPad runs through it's battery really quick when I enable 3G and it's constantly trying to find a wifi. I turn off 3G and even the wifi and it will last for more then a day, I always turn off 3G and I normally go above the 10h normal, if I don't spam video I hit close if not over 12h.

When my LG Optimus is doing two days, and my friends iPhones are doing two days, and my girlfriend's Blackberry Bold is doing three-four days, no, this is not normal with phones now :)

Wifi and bluetooth hurt pretty bad but it looks like you have them disabled. Sounds to me like a dud battery or theres some lame background app/process running that came from the manufacturers. Close all uneeded running apps, and processes and see if that helps.

Heck i have the ideos 8510g, basically the absolute cheapest android you can get (got it brand new for $70 US), and i get around 14 or so hours and that's with calls and texts all day and at least 3-4 hours of youtube, web and playing games/psx emulator.

It's pure luck, or something else.

I have a HTC Desire and have had 3 batteries all have extremely bad life. If I don't use my phone I might get 6 hours. Yet if I use the phone for what I want, GPS, Data, Multitasking, pictures, videos, etc etc I get 2 to 4 hours, I basically leave it plugged in at work.

Though I know people who get the rated amount of life out of that phone.

And if you ask me, the phones that get 10 to 14 hours of life, I think that is the higest rated? Though I do hear people saying that get 2 or 3 days, but I think that is bullcrap. To me that isn't even good enough. My tech should last me weeks without issue (I know its not possible, just saying).

Went out and bought the HTC Thunderbolt yesterday. On the whole it's actually a really good phone. Fast, good cameras (although zoom is lackluster), 32Gb pre-installed ontop of internal memory, nice screen and display etc. etc.

But (and here's the kicker) the battery life is absolutely shocking. On a full charge, with virtually nothing running in the background except the usual HTC Sense etc. Wifi, GPS etc. turned off. I got between 4-5 hours on a full charge.

I thought OK, maybe battery wasn't really fully charged with it being sitting in a warehouse for days so hooked it up and put a full charge in it with the same results, 4-5 hours.

Tried another test. Turned on Wifi, GPS and wifi hub, battery life went down to roughly 3 hours.

This is absolutely ridiculous for a phone.

ROFLMFAO !

gps will kill a battery quick

without some tweaking YES the battery will die fast !

1 turn off gps

2 control what auto syncs in the background and how offten it syncs

2 a phone with that much power only packing a 1500 size battery 4-5 is standard my evo was stated to only get 6 hour when releases

Hmm, people seem to be forgetting that these devices are not the Nikia 5110 everone had years ago, they are computers.

Computers take power. Batteries haven't evolved as quick as electronics therefore we're stuck with Nikia 5110 batteries in our smart phones that need more power.

If you don't like it, get this:

Nokia-5110-01.gif

:p

I get about 3 maybe 4 days from my Desire.

• I don't have bluetooth on.
  • I don't have "mobile data" (3G?) turned on.
  • I don't have WiFi turned on.
  • GPS is turned off.
  • I have the brightness turned down to the first notch above bottom.
  • I have the timeout (to turn the screen off) set to 15 seconds.
  • I have the standard HTC animated wallpaper.
  • I don't watch videos on the phone.
  • I don't listen to music on it.
  • I rarely use the camera, and when I do, I turn it off when not taking a photo.

I turn on data and WiFi when I need it to update weather (about once every 2/3 days).

I rarely send emails on it (I have my desktop for that!).

Seriously, I wonder what people do to their phones to get such little battery life out of it :p

I hope your post was a joke. If that is what you use your desire for then what is the point of having it.lol

I get about 3 maybe 4 days from my Desire.

• I don't have bluetooth on.
  • I don't have "mobile data" (3G?) turned on.
  • I don't have WiFi turned on.
  • GPS is turned off.
  • I have the brightness turned down to the first notch above bottom.
  • I have the timeout (to turn the screen off) set to 15 seconds.
  • I have the standard HTC animated wallpaper.
  • I don't watch videos on the phone.
  • I don't listen to music on it.
  • I rarely use the camera, and when I do, I turn it off when not taking a photo.

my Trophy 7, lasts long enough to not need chargign until tusday night when I'm back home after I charge it night to friday before going to my GF's for the weekend.

and I have EVERYTHING on, BT, 3G, WiFi. WiFi connects automatically, I download data over WiFi and 3G constantly for my auto checking of several mail accounts and occasionally WLM. Other than that I just use it casually except for browsing the web and facbook.

but then again, with everything off I was lucky to get my Android powered X10 when I took it off charging in the morning till I put it back on in the night, and not using it at all. Granted after the 2.1 update it did manage to last until I went to bed with some casual usage, as long as I kept everything off. But yeah, Android is HORRIBLE for battery usage. with or without multitasking.

Not sure if it's been posted yet.... but you can go to your dialer and type *#*#4636#*#* (4636 stands for INFO), then go to phone info, choose CDMA ONLY (or EVDO ONLY if you have the option, I assume that would be better).

This will turn off the 4G radio and it won't be actively looking for LTE service. If you're in an area without 4G LTE service, you should do this.

It's silly they don't give an option to turn off LTE in the settings, but this way you can actually turn off the LTE radio.

Hope it helps peoples battery life problems.

Not sure if it's been posted yet.... but you can go to your dialer and type *#*#4636#*#* (4636 stands for INFO), then go to phone info, choose CDMA ONLY (or EVDO ONLY if you have the option, I assume that would be better).

This will turn off the 4G radio and it won't be actively looking for LTE service. If you're in an area without 4G LTE service, you should do this.

It's silly they don't give an option to turn off LTE in the settings, but this way you can actually turn off the LTE radio.

Hope it helps peoples battery life problems.

Thanks, I came across this piece of info on Friday and am now getting adequate performance from the battery. Lasting 8-9 hours normal use. 6-7 of heavy use.

Thanks, I came across this piece of info on Friday and am now getting adequate performance from the battery. Lasting 8-9 hours normal use. 6-7 of heavy use.

That's a pretty big bump. With my Epic 4G I can get about 36 hours with low to moderate usage and about 12 hours with heavy usage. Like others have said you can probably get a big jump by rooting and getting a kernel to under-clock while your screen is off. My kernel underclocks my cpu to 400 Mhz while the screen is off and 1200 Mhz while the screen is on. Basically I got a net gain in performance and battery life. Xda-developers.com... it will change your Android life.

Are you sure things like Facebook (especially Facebook chat) and Facebook syncing are turned off? My HTC Legend wont last 5 hours with it on.