SpaceX Dragon C2 launch thread

The C2 (COTS-2) Dragon mission is a dress rehersal for the C3 mission where Dragon will make its first docking at the International Space Station. IF all goes well with the C2 mission, and if fuel permits, the two missions could be blended.

If that happens the Dragon program will start operational cargo flights to ISS as soon as possible, and work on a crew version will accelerate dramatically.

A successful 10 second test fire of the COTS-2/(possible 3) Falcon 9s Merlin-1C engines was performed today, with a 90 second test within a few days. As usual, McGregor Texas residents got advance warning lest area babies get bounced out of cribs & poorly placed china get rattled into oblivion;

Wonder what it'll be like when Merlin 2 tests start? That pup will be bigger than the Saturn V's F-1 engines.

Launch: NET July 15, 2011 (NET = no earlier than)

spacex-dragon-spacecraft-425x319.jpg

integrated.jpg

You don't just erect the gantry, top it off and fire up the engines..

They're getting Dragon ready in California- including a big pair of solar wings and their deployment hardware on their first flight, testing the engines on F9 in Texas (1 test fire down, another later this week), finishing training for the ISS Exploration crew in case it docks this flight instead of C3, etc.

This is a high stakes flight foe not only SpaceX but for NASA and the other commercial cargo/crew companoes so everyone's taking their time to get it right.

Interesting Tweet from Soichi Noguchi - JAXA (Japan Space Agency) astronaut. Sounds like the blended COTS-2/3 mission is game on :)

March 3rd -

Soichi too! RT @Astro_Soichi: SpaceX tweeps Will be there tomorrow!!! // getting Dragon ready to go to the Space Station

KCEN News in Waco, Texas just tweeted;

'Space X' in McGregor might run 90 second rocket test today- no earlier than 6:00pm. (Texas time)

A full power test of the Falcon 9/Dragon C2 first stage engines - roughly equal to a Saturn I booster but able to orbit a 10% larger payload to low Earth orbit.

Tie the babies down in their cribs & put away the dishes ;)

does it really create that much vibration/shock? i've been around powerful jets and rockets before, very impressive, but i don't think enough to rattle an entire town! of course, this guy is bigger than the machines i've been around. i also understand they want to be careful with the launch but chop chop, waiting till July? i want my exciting news NOW.

Falcon 9 is rated at 1,110,000 lbf of thrust, several times more than the Delta II rocket that's launched so many space probes (10x more than some versions)

When Flight-1's engine cluster was put through a full mission length test of ~180 seconds it broke windows up to 20 miles away and rattled wallls further than that. McGregor is 3.1 miles from the test center, and there is a big berm - but still :p

Falcon Heavy will run 3,400 000 lbf of thrust.

Just imagine if they build the Falcon XX Super-Heavy booster -

- 360 feet tall & 35 feet wide

- 10,200,000 lbf of thrust (>10 Falcon 9's)

- 140 metric tons to orbit

-